Remaining Season Prediction Thread

What will be Tech's record in the remaining 5 regular season games?

• 0-5

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 1-4

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 2-3

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • 3-2

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 4-1

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • 5-0

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Back in August on the FTRS web site I made the following prediction, so I might as well stick with it:

Wofford W
Tulane W
Ga Southern W
VPI W
Miami W
Duke L
UNC L
Pittsburgh W
Virginia W
NC State W
Clemson L
uga L

For what it is worth I also predicted that the Miami game would be the most defensive type of game we would play in the season, that we would lose one game due to controversial calls by the ref and that we would lose 2 starters to season ending injury.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Back in August on the FTRS web site I made the following prediction, so I might as well stick with it:

Wofford W
Tulane W
Ga Southern W
VPI W
Miami W
Duke L
UNC L
Pittsburgh W
Virginia W
NC State W
Clemson L
uga L

For what it is worth I also predicted that the Miami game would be the most defensive type of game we would play in the season, that we would lose one game due to controversial calls by the ref and that we would lose 2 starters to season ending injury.
It's your fault!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
http://www.atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

Atomic Football projects GT finishing 7-5. As we are already at 5-2, this means that we are expected to go 2-3 in the final 5 games.

Please predict the final record and which games you think we win.
The only good thing about this outcome would be me being able to drive an hour to Detroit to watch us play in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I've tried to calculate some probabilities of winning each remaining game based on estimated future point spreads and historical data relating upset probabilities to point spreads. Here's what I have for the rest of the season:

% Chance of Georgia Tech Win:
38% at Pittsburgh
52% Virginia
56% at NC State
26% Clemson
6% at Georgia

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
http://www.atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

Atomic Football projects GT finishing 7-5. As we are already at 5-2, this means that we are expected to go 2-3 in the final 5 games.

Please predict the final record and which games you think we win.

I predicted before the season that we would go either 7-5 or 8-4 because of the defense. I stand by those. This team can beat any team left including UGA and conversely lose to any team including NC State. The nature of the beast.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Unfortunately , I think only 2 more wins this year : Virginia and NC State. Finish the year 7-5. Looking better next year with an improved D.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I've tried to calculate some probabilities of winning each remaining game based on estimated future point spreads and historical data relating upset probabilities to point spreads. Here's what I have for the rest of the season:

38% at Pittsburgh
52% Virginia
56% at NC State
26% Clemson
6% at Georgia
Looks about right to me.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Vegas probably hates guys like jeffgt14. He sees each game as 50% so he probably isn't going to bet. Meanwhile, they probably love a guy like you who thinks he has an advantage based on his BS algorithm.

If you really saw every game as 50-50, then logic would tell you to bet on every underdog straight up, because if you got 50% correct, then on balance you'd win much more money than you'd lose.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Updated probabilities for winning our remaining games:

67% Virginia
65% at NC State
33% Clemson
8% at Georgia

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Why 8 percent against Uga? I want to hear the logic behind your calculations.

UGA Sagarin Predictor = 92.59
GT Sagarin Predictor = 76.43
Home Advantage = 3.52
Estimated point spread = 92.59+3.52-76.43 = 19.68

Ref. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

From a Phil Steele article, when the spread is between 17.5 and 24 points, the underdog wins 6.76% of the time. When the spread is between 14.5 and 17 points, the underdog wins 13.16% of the time. Setting the %chance at the midpoint of the point spread range, and interpolating, in a 19.68 point spread, the underdog would win about 8% of the time.

Ref. http://www.philsteele.com/blogs/2012/Aug12/DBAug1.html