Reflections on the National Championship Game

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
As I sit here awaiting the kickoff of the Championship, my mind is flooded with the memories of these 2 teams and our relationship with both. For many many years Clemson was the patsy we made come down to Atlanta to take their annual butt whippin. All they got was a nice pay check and a long ride home with another L hung on their record. Then they slowly began to become competitive and held their own. We had a knack for breaking their heart several times in the 90's, 00's and even the early 10's during this century. We were their kryptonite. Lately they just are wearing our butt out. Pretty much what they are doing to everybody.

As far as LSU goes the only recent history is 2 whippings they put on us in the Peach Bowl. The first one we could have won but between the zebras and turning the ball over we handed them a win. The second was a long sad night at the Georgia Dome. Believe it or not we are 12 and 7 all time against LSU. We stopped playing them on a regular basis back in 1963. So that tells some of you younger fans just what a dominate football program Tech used to be back in the Dodd / SEC era.

We are long way from being in a position to compete with either one of these teams today. But, it is not the impossible dream. I never thought a guy named Dabo could build a program like he has at Clemson. Hell, if they can do it, by God, we can do it. I'm really hoping Collins is our Dabo.

As a lifelong, 70 year old Tech fan, I know my seasons are running out so time's a wasting. Let's get behind this thing and give it everything we have to get back to that elite level.

Enjoy the game and Go Jackets!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
As I sit here awaiting the kickoff of the Championship, my mind is flooded with the memories of these 2 teams and our relationship with both. For many many years Clemson was the patsy we made come down to Atlanta to take their annual butt whippin. All they got was a nice pay check and a long ride home with another L hung on their record. Then they slowly began to become competitive and held their own. We had a knack for breaking their heart several times in the 90's, 00's and even the early 10's during this century. We were their kryptonite. Lately they just are wearing our butt out. Pretty much what they are doing to everybody.

As far as LSU goes the only recent history is 2 whippings they put on us in the Peach Bowl. The first one we could have won but between the zebras and turning the ball over we handed them a win. The second was a long sad night at the Georgia Dome. Believe it or not we are 12 and 7 all time against LSU. We stopped playing them on a regular basis back in 1963. So that tells some of you younger fans just what a dominate football program Tech used to be back in the Dodd / SEC era.

We are long way from being in a position to compete with either one of these teams today. But, it is not the impossible dream. I never thought a guy named Dabo could build a program like he has at Clemson. Hell, if they can do it, by God, we can do it. I'm really hoping Collins is our Dabo.

As a lifelong, 70 year old Tech fan, I know my seasons are running out so time's a wasting. Let's get behind this thing and give it everything we have to get back to that elite level.

Took my son to GT vs Dabo, Swinney’s first game. At Clemson, and we won. We went to the Tech wins over them afterwards. It seems like forever ago, now.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Sadly, it seems as if GT students are being indoctrinated more with what they can not accomplish as much as what they can accomplish.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I was looking up Clemson coaching staff and they show 2 listed as volunteers ( which I guess means they don't get paid :) ) . how many coaches can a team have ?

Deleted member 2897

I don’t want to copy Clemson. I don’t want 75 coaches. I don’t want to drop bags. I don’t want to run an adult day care center. I don’t want majors like Parks & Rec. Family across the street has a kid who graduated 3 years ago this May with that degree - he works in the kitchen of a restaurant as he’s never found a job.

Our brand is high end academics and integrity. I want to build our own way, the right way. We can win 9-10 games without selling our soul. Remember college is supposed to be about college. If we’re good enough to win 9-10 games, we’ll occasionally beat Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame etc. And our 20 coaches can laugh across the field at their 75.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

The best 2 teams are in the game, college game is miles better than pro game

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want to copy Clemson. I don’t want 75 coaches. I don’t want to drop bags. I don’t want to run an adult day care center. I don’t want majors like Parks & Rec. Family across the street has a kid who graduated 3 years ago this May with that degree - he works in the kitchen of a restaurant as he’s never found a job.

Our brand is high end academics and integrity. I want to build our own way, the right way. We can win 9-10 games without selling our soul. Remember college is supposed to be about college. If we’re good enough to win 9-10 games, we’ll occasionally beat Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame etc. And our 20 coaches can laugh across the field at their 75.

We cant have Parks and Rec, but I dont think 75 coaches is going to hurt our integrity. On some level, I agree that we will always have to do things somewhat differently, but the superiority complex don't win football games.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I was looking up Clemson coaching staff and they show 2 listed as volunteers ( which I guess means they don't get paid :) ) . how many coaches can a team have ?

I'm not one to whine about "unfair" advantages other schools have like money or academics and such...but honestly...if the NCAA does anything to regulate college football they need to reign the abuse of using scores of off-field coaches. If the coach to player ratio is close to 1:1, there is problem. It's not football.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
What a great game to watch. Very happy for Coach O to get his title. This was his best shot at getting one and they brought it home. I don't think they will be back there next year but clempson will. We have a ways to go to catch these teams. They looked like grown men playing last night.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson offensive and defensive lines got whipped last night
Clemson had 5 sacks to LSU's 2, not sure what world you live in where that is getting whipped. Their biggest problem was repeatedly leaving Burrow unaccounted for and the receiver for LSU, #1, making their best db look terrible. I think Lawrence got flustered as well early on and started trying to rifle every pass to the receiver without setting his feet and made a lot of bad throws.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Clemson had 5 sacks to LSU's 2, not sure what world you live in where that is getting whipped. Their biggest problem was repeatedly leaving Burrow unaccounted for and the receiver for LSU, #1, making their best db look terrible. I think Lawrence got flustered as well early on and started trying to rifle every pass to the receiver without setting his feet and made a lot of bad throws.
Joe Burrow still threw for 440+ yards and 5 touchdowns