Reflections on the National Championship Game

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think comparing the Dolphins over the Patriots to App St. over Michigan is a little extreme no? I’d say it’s way more similar to USCe over UGAg, or Illinois over Wisconsin, which there are generally quite a few games like that in college football every year. There’s also not as much parity in the NFL as people like to imagine there is. I mean this is the first time since like 2000 that Brady, Big Ben, or Peyton aren’t playing for the AFC Championship.
Three of the four teams left in the NFL playoffs didn't even make the playoffs last year. Of all of the playoff teams, half of them didn't make the playoffs last year. That is pretty good parity.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Three of the four teams left in the NFL playoffs didn't even make the playoffs last year. Of all of the playoff teams, half of them didn't make the playoffs last year. That is pretty good parity.
Half of the teams that made the CFP this year didn’t make it last year ;). Expanding the playoff system allows for more teams to get the opportunity to play for a championship, but it doesn’t always guarantee the 2 best teams play for the title. If 12 teams made the CFP every year there would definitely be so new faces every year, but the usual suspects would still be favored. Just like the NFL.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Half of the teams that made the CFP this year didn’t make it last year ;). Expanding the playoff system allows for more teams to get the opportunity to play for a championship, but it doesn’t always guarantee the 2 best teams play for the title. If 12 teams made the CFP every year there would definitely be so new faces every year, but the usual suspects would still be favored. Just like the NFL.
Not really. We have now had 6 years of the CFP. That is 24 spots up for grabs. Of those 24 spots only 11 teams claimed them. If you just look at the NFL's final 4 teams in the same time frame, 17 different teams claimed a spot. Even with the Patriots having a historic run, there is still way more parity. If you were to try and predict the final four for College football next year you would almost certainly get two of four right and would likely get 3 of four. You likely won't come close to that if you try to predict the NFL final four.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

The CFP has not worked. If anything, it is even more skewed.

If this is the direction of NCAAF, I’d like to see reverse scholarships. Win the Natty and reduce your schollies by 10%. Win again and reduce by 25%.

Talent is consolidating at an accelerating rate. If we dont address that, it will be the same teams competing. Forever.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

If this is the direction of NCAAF, I’d like to see reverse scholarships. Win the Natty and reduce your schollies by 10%. Win again and reduce by 25%.

Talent is consolidating at an accelerating rate. If we dont address that, it will be the same teams competing. Forever.
You don't understand. College's job is to prepare young people for jobs in the real world. College football's job is to prepare young men for jobs in the NFL. Schools that win a lot do the best job preparing their athlete-students for the NFL. It is the way it is supposed to work.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You don't understand. College's job is to prepare young people for jobs in the real world. College football's job is to prepare young men for jobs in the NFL. Schools that win a lot do the best job preparing their athlete-students for the NFL. It is the way it is supposed to work.

I’m assuming this is TIC. Less than 1% of NCAA athletes make it to the NFL. And if you go to Tech, the odds are even less.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Quickest and least disruptive move to level the playing field is to drastically limit the money spent on football in general and recruiting specifically.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Yes they were amazing to watch this year. They would probably have won quite a few games in the NFL with the right schedule.

It was decades ago, and I think the guy was a scouting exec from Green Bay or Dallas, but he was asked in a pregame interview about the best college team going up against the worst NFL team. I think it was when we were playing at Auburn.

Regardless, the teams radio network guy was expecting a different reply from the NFL scout when he asked how long the best team in college could last (if not defeat) the worst NFL team.

The NFL scout said WTTE, “maybe 3 minutes.” Sound of jaws dropping!

Scout mentioned - Professional Pride, It is their job, 29 year old men across the board vs 20 year olds who can only spend 1/4 of their time studying the game, Pros that live with pain but also know how to inflict it.

Best I can remember but pretty much the summary.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Lots of money. Top team in the state. Calculus? What's that? Tons of great players and as the flagship university he would have had his pick of the litter. He must have been crazy to stay at Tech but he believed in the school, loved the fans, appreciated the Atlanta media and he had just bought a house and had two children in high school. Tough decision.

They sure appreciated him recommending Darrell Royal from Miss. State.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe you don't remember Auer not catching that pass. It was the talk of the campus for the next week. However, I don't remember Stovall's KO return. You can see both plays in this very brief highlight video -- https://duckduckgo.com/?q=1962+Ga+Tech+vs+LSU+football&t=ffnt&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=G_gOSLE5oHU Auer's drop is not how I remembered it, so either there were two plays in which Auer failed, or I just didn't remember the details correctly.

I know you appreciate that on that day, at home, GT wore G / W / W and not the Gold pants.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, I was 8 years old and may have been badgering my dad about going to the Varsity after the game. Just can't remember that particular play but do remember Stovall's long TD kickoff return. That team had some pretty tough guys like Dave Watson and Rufus Guthrie on the line and fine speed in the backfield with Auer and Brussels.

That GT team had about 7 guys that played in the NFL. Could have, maybe should have, been national champs.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I’m assuming this is TIC. Less than 1% of NCAA athletes make it to the NFL. And if you go to Tech, the odds are even less.
Only partially tongue-in-cheek. There are tons of young football players who think that way.....as well as athletes in every other major sport. Heck, most basketball players believe they can make a living playing that sport.