Redshirting and Team Morale

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I was told last night from someone close to the program that several upper class men will be redshirting after yesterday’s game. Some very notable players, actually, but I don’t want to drop the names in case it’s not accurate.

I guess the theory is not to waste the year of eligibility on this season and come back when we have a chance to be competitive.

If true, I think this is going to have a very negative effect on the team. It basically sends the message that the coaches are giving up on trying to salvage wins this year and just preparing for the future.

I’m curious to hear others’ thoughts on this.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I was told last night from someone close to the program that several upper class men will be redshirting after yesterday’s game. Some very notable players, actually, but I don’t want to drop the names in case it’s not accurate.

I guess the theory is not to waste the year of eligibility on this season and come back when we have a chance to be competitive.

If true, I think this is going to have a very negative effect on the team. It basically sends the message that the coaches are giving up on trying to salvage wins this year and just preparing for the future.

Id imagine it would also affect the ‘20 recruiting class as those were schollys that would have been free.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't buy it. With our roster I don't see next year being much better. You don't bring in FR on both the line of scrimmage and QB and expect immediate improvement. This transition is a multi year process .

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
By saying close to the program, do you mean someone sitting in the front row in the stadium or being there at Yellow Jacket Alley? Or someone who has bought a game program? Or do they have the DVD of The Program?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If several means two, then this sounds possible. Somehting like 10 doesn't seem credible.

IMHO the season is over from the bowl game POV. Again, IMHO the purpose of our next 8 games is to develop players for next year. But that has to be balanced with keeping the natives (fans) from getting too restless. Recruiting shouldn't be affected by several players being red shirted; recruiting will be much more dificult with a 1 win season.

slugboy

Staff member
First, I’m answering a rumor I just heard, so take this with a huge grain of salt.
There are a couple of players at Houston who are redshirting within 4 games, so they’re eligible next year to play somewhere else, like Oklahoma. If underclassmen are playing instead of them this year, it seems more likely to me that they’d be redshirting to transfer to a school offering more playing time, and that we’re about to see even more of a “youth movement” this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I guess it depends on which side of the ball they are on. If they are on offense and you buy into the narrative that our guys can’t physically do what Dave wants then it is a waste of time.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Don't see that plus if this Car salesman wants to recruit you would not have room. We only have 3 Sr. that could redshirt Camp , Cooper and Jahaziel . Jahaziel being out the rest of the season will be back.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I would assum J. lee & K. Cooper would be the two upperclassman and that makes sense.... As far as team morale, I would assume after the FCS loss that is an issue... I mean if the SA poured their hearts and souls into offseason workouts like we were sold I mean told... than yea I would be pissed that the coaches can not come up with a better scheme and gameplan while we transition to from a TO team to whatever CDP wnat to run with his recuits.....

Clearly we are watching piss poor gameplaning going on with the O....as far as "lack of identity" (This is what was going on ewith GT Defense...like we switched when we switched staffs)

Hopefully this does not affect recruiting! Hopefully the SA can keep playing hard as it is going to be a long year.... It appears that our Coaching staff is/was not ready for the job... Maybe they can grow into it.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Cooper and Lee? Coach said Cooper would be out awhile with an injury and that’s an experienced player at a position that will need experienced players next year. Same goes for Lee. The OP could be referring to those 2... That actually makes sense

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We already know lee is redshirting. This is already public

Cooper no idea. There may be a current soph/junior or two we will rs to allow for position change.....and not waste a year

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My question is would this allow the S/A to continue towards his GT degree, if he so desires?
Yea, of course. But it’s a strange thing right? Let’s say a coach offers this to play A, who starts this year and whom the coach thinks is really good and will be able contribute next year, but doesn’t offer it to player B who is also a starter this year.

My worry is that the current team just tanks. Then again, it can’t get that much worse.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I could see BJ Swilling taking a redshirt. More wishful thinking on my part, but he would get back in the same class as Tre which might be something that he, tre, and pat would want.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

Apparently this came up at University of Houston's starting quarterback