Redshirt report - offense

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Ty Griffin - He has spent majority of his year as the Scout team QB. He has showed that he is athletic and can make some plays with the ball in his hand. He is likely to switch to A back or DB in the Spring.

Donovan Wilson - Donovan has been working hard and is currently at A-back. He's got some power in him and has a decent frame. He could switch to B-back if needed. I would not be shocked to see him be cross trained.

Chris Griffin - Staff hit a homerun with him. He's been playing really well and is more than likely going to start next year. Coaches have been raving about his performance. He plays with great technique and is really understanding the offense. He has been traveling lately for emergency purposes.

Shamire Devine - Shamire has been very close to playing several times this year. He's a big bodied kid who has rare quick feet. Devine is still in the process of learning the offense and has to keep getting in better shape but the talent is there. He will be in line for a lot of playing time next year.

Ricky Jeune - A bit more polished than Messick at this point he has shown good hands. He's adding weight to his frame and trying to get stronger in his redshirt year. He could earn some playing time next year but he will a few guys in front of him.

Antonio Messick - He came in very raw at the WR spot and that has showed so far...he is learning to run routes and technique. A positive is that he has shown he is not afraid to be physical and really gets after it blocking. Will be a good battle between Jeune and Messick next year to see who beats out who.

Overall this class has shown some good things on the offense and a couple of guys will be counted on heavily next year...Griffin and Devine will likely play a big role in how we perform up front next year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What about?

Kevin Robbins
Comminsong (sp)
and the other defensive players..

Wow Chris jumping that many players . Are Shamire & Chris playing next to each other?
Could really use some maulers upfront ..

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What about?

Kevin Robbins
Comminsong (sp)
and the other defensive players..

Wow Chris jumping that many players . Are Shamire & Chris playing next to each other?
Could really use some maulers upfront ..

This is a report on the offense only...I will do one on the defense at a later time.

Devine will likely play LG when he plays next year as Mason has RG locked up. I think Devine is likely to come off the bench next year but will the first off the bench and see a good bit of playing time.

Chris will be jumping Chamberlain and or Roberts. That is the only competition really...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I remember seeing Devine when he was out at Oregon at camp, his agility really made an impression on me. He moves better than linemen 30-50 lbs lighter than he. He went up against some of the best D line prospect at that camp and I didn't see him get beat one time due to being slow. It's amazing to see him him at his size move like he does. I said when Griffin signed he reminded me of Andrew Gardner and nothing I'm hearing has changed my mind about him. I think Tech has 2 potentially great ones coming :cool:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This is a report on the offense only...I will do one on the defense at a later time.

Devine will likely play LG when he plays next year as Mason has RG locked up. I think Devine is likely to come off the bench next year but will the first off the bench and see a good bit of playing time.

Chris will be jumping Chamberlain and or Roberts. That is the only competition really...

Wow! That is good news for ys next year.
Thank you for the information.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Am I the only one who thinks that Shamire should get shot at RT? He is built for the position as he has a long frame and quick feet. His body type and skill set just seem like a natural fit. Plus, he played tackle many of the camps he went to and beat elite DE recruits in pass-blocking drills. He also seems too tall to get adequate leverage as a guard. I understand that OT in the offense requires a different body type than OT in a pro-style offense, but Shamire just seems like a perfect fit for an RT, especially if we want to upgrade the pass protection for Vad over the next 2 years.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Am I the only one who thinks that Shamire should get shot at RT? He is built for the position as he has a long frame and quick feet. His body type and skill set just seem like a natural fit. Plus, he played tackle many of the camps he went to and beat elite DE recruits in pass-blocking drills. He also seems too tall to get adequate leverage as a guard. I understand that OT in the offense requires a different body type than OT in a pro-style offense, but Shamire just seems like a perfect fit for an RT, especially if we want to upgrade the pass protection for Vad over the next 2 years.
I'd be willing to give him a shot, especially if Morgan Bailey can't get healthy

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know he's not a redshirt, and not even a member of the team yet, but what do you think the honest opinion of the staff is regarding Custis? He gets discussed ad naseum on some sites as alternately the savior and a bust before he takes a snap. I'm sure coaches have remained in regular contact with him and are looking forward to getting to see him practice.