Redshirt policy

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
How much of a negative impact on recruiting and the team as a whole does this have?

Recruiting: I assume every 5 star thinks he'll play 2 years and be the number one overall draft pick in the NFL, some (if not most) 4 star players think they are underrated and should be 5 star players to fit into the above description. All of this is fine. I'm not here to argue the system, but why would these players come to GT then? This certainly is not the place to do something like that. I understand why CPJ redshirts the kids, they'd be screwed without it. They need to learn how to balance football and school here, the later being useless if you're planning on only playing 2 seasons. At the same time how could he redshirt someone that could benefit the team? I know he doesn't redshirt everyone, but he does most and certainly seems to be our star players. So pretend you're a 4 star safety and see GT has a need, why would you come here to sit out a year just to learn school?

The team: We all know the argument of had we not burned Nesbitt's redshirt, we would have had him as a 5th year Sr, and oh what a season we would have had. Here's my counter: how much better would our perception of the current team be if Vad was a Junior that had run the offense for 2 years? With this O-line that he's losing next year? How about JT as a kick returner last year, or a slot receiver, or A-back. I understand getting these guys for their 5th year is basically like having an NFL player in the system and it really helps, but what is the overall benefit? I think it hurts more than helps. I certainly don't want these guys failing out, I know how hard school is.

Another argument that would help recruiting is if we didn't redshirt then we'd have more scholarships to give. Assuming we redshirt everyone we have an average of 16 to give every year assuming no attrition (however unrealistic.) Being able to get 20 or more players per year would certainly help our poor recruiting perception/reality.

I realize there are holes and what ifs all over my arguments, they are mainly presented to gauge other people's thoughts. For now I'm still drinking the CPJ kool-aid, but I am getting a whif of cyanide, I just need a few more wins...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The redshirt policy is the same as any other school really...if you're good enough and can contribute in the two deep you will play.

Vad needed to redshirt.. he was lost in the system.

DJ White and Adam Gotsis both played on D last year.

I can guarantee some 2014 DB's will play as true Freshman.

The redshirt situation at GT is one I've never heard of mentioned as a negative by a recruit.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Eric said:
The redshirt policy is the same as any other school really...if you're good enough and can contribute in the two deep you will play.

Vad needed to redshirt.. he was lost in the system.

DJ White and Adam Gotsis both played on D last year.

I can guarantee some 2014 DB's will play as true Freshman.

The redshirt situation at GT is one I've never heard of mentioned as a negative by a recruit.

What negatives have you heard?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Most coaches will tell you that the further away from the ball the easier it is to come in and play. Again this assume your talent and ability is greater than the upperclassmen.

With O line and D line most, if not all, would benefit from a redshirt year to spend time physically maturing and time in the weight room. If you look at most of the top programs you see that they redshirt most of their incoming linemen. Taking an 18-19 year old freshman lineman and putting him up against a 22-23 redshirt senior if usually not a good idea ;-)

With the skill position players it is easier but still freshmen face a daunting task task with the serious rise in the level of competition. The always exceptions but in my mind the vast majority of players will benefit from a redshirt year.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem is with making a blanket statement that applies to all players, then show an example of one player that CPJ thought should be RS. The coaches make the decision based on a player not a policy. If the player can contribute to winning as a freshman then they will play if not they won't. Even VL True Freshman yr if TW went down and VL would have been the better option then he would have played. Luckily that didn't happen and we didn't have to find out. We have played True Freshman if they can help just on special teams.