Red Zone Offense

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
On the second play, if I'm thinking of the two plays to which you are referring, Brown was open. Sims just overthrew him. Looked to me like it was a good call and executed well until the throw and that's something I think Sims will get better at over time. If those aren't the ones you're talking about then never mind.

I agree with the comment earlier that we were significantly hampered by not having those two TEs available potentially as much as not having Mason. Not having Mason, who CGC describes as the heart and soul of the team, hurt us a lot. He's not just a terrific RB but I'm sure gives Sims and all those around him a boost of confidence just knowing he's there. We had to adapt to his absence and I think our RBs did a good job. But not having DylanX2 clearly hurt. But let's not take away from how Jack Coco has responded. I thought he played really well considering he dropped a ton of weight this year so he could help us in even more ways than as a really good long snapper. My hat's off to the young man!
This is the play you're referencing, correct? I agree that the post corner to Brown was open. I will concede that I'm not sure it was a high percentage play, but I'm not sure I've seen Sims attempt a post corner to Brown before. Only the coaches would really have a sense of the odds of success.

What stood out most to me though was the rub route we ran underneath. Sanders was running wide open. That's a touchdown. I'm guessing that was next in Sims' progression if he decided Brown was not open.

@Scubapro - is this also one of the plays you're referencing?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Mason could have certainly helped here. Remember he was better at breaking tackles than anyone last year.
Shouldn't be relying on breaking tackles alone on run plays, but I suspect the missing TE's had something to with said lack of blocking.

The turn overs were really the killer here and I have to keep reminding myself there are bunch of young guys out there. True freshman QB and RB, mistakes will happen. Experience will help loads.

I think there was a video blog by a fsu guy that summarized most of people's frustration with CDP's pay calling last year. But that was year one of an install so I imagine things were vanilla and coach wanted to repeat plays if we had success.

I'm hoping as things get installed and the young dudes get more experience we can make some nice things happen. I'm not happy waiting 7 years however, I want to see some good progress this year and a nice season next year.

Scubapro

Banned
This is the play you're referencing, correct? I agree that the post corner to Brown was open. I will concede that I'm not sure it was a high percentage play, but I'm not sure I've seen Sims attempt a post corner to Brown before. Only the coaches would really have a sense of the odds of success.

What stood out most to me though was the rub route we ran underneath. Sanders was running wide open. That's a touchdown. I'm guessing that was next in Sims' progression if he decided Brown was not open.

I think they edited out one of the plays but yes....this was part of what I was talking about..not sure the rub was really open ...the defender quit on the rub route when the ball was thrown.
My point is we need to be able to run the ball in the red zone. If we can line up and run right at them then we need to do some sort of mis direction.
If we insist on passing in that situation then we need a RPO not a straight drop back pass especially with a second start freshman.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I was all over P’nut last year and thru the off-season. Everybody has their opinion but P’nut’s play calling has not been questionable this year. The Team knows the plays to be run (huge difference), they know the snap count (night and day difference) and they know who’s supposed to be on the field (again night and day). Maybe I’m not watching closely enough but we look like we know what we’re doing this year. There’s always plays where the execution is poor or we’re outmatched physically, but the change is immense between last year’s clusterF and what we’re doing this year. I’m not talking about talent. We flat out didn’t know what play we were going to run last year a high percentage of the time and it showed. That’s not the case this year.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow

Yeah, Sims has to get better with vision. I remember one play, a 3rd and short IIRC, and he tried to force it in to Camp who wasn't open, while he had Ezzard wide open with nobody in sight for a 7 yard completion over the middle.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You can lay about 70% of our red zone woes at the fact we are starting a true freshman QB, 10% to sub par kicking, and the other 20% to various injuries. It's common for young QBs to excel between the 30s and then struggle more as the field shortens up. Having the field become more congested encourages young, mistake prone QBs to press more and try to make throws to places they ought not to attempt. My belief is that Sims, who didn't get the benefit of a full spring and summer practice schedule, will grow out of this sooner rather than later, and as the season progresses, we will see more success in the RZ.

I realize that this is probably off topic for this particular thread, but I feel sure that some of you can answer this for me --- After not even providing the score for last week's game, the Augusta paper actually had an article in this morning's paper about Saturday's game (syndicated, but still a decent write up). The title of the article was "Former BC star plays for Tech in loss". In spite of the title, nowhere in the article was any former BC player even mentioned, much less identified. Who do we have playing for us who transferred from BC, and what position does he play?

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I realize that this is probably off topic for this particular thread, but I feel sure that some of you can answer this for me --- After not even providing the score for last week's game, the Augusta paper actually had an article in this morning's paper about Saturday's game (syndicated, but still a decent write up). The title of the article was "Former BC star plays for Tech in loss". In spite of the title, nowhere in the article was any former BC player even mentioned, much less identified. Who do we have playing for us who transferred from BC, and what position does he play?
BC probably refers to the Benedictine Cadets in Augusta. Didn't Stewart go there?

Scubapro

Banned
I was all over P’nut last year and thru the off-season. Everybody has their opinion but P’nut’s play calling has not been questionable this year. The Team knows the plays to be run (huge difference), they know the snap count (night and day difference) and they know who’s supposed to be on the field (again night and day). Maybe I’m not watching closely enough but we look like we know what we’re doing this year. There’s always plays where the execution is poor or we’re outmatched physically, but the change is immense between last year’s clusterF and what we’re doing this year. I’m not talking about talent. We flat out didn’t know what play we were going to run last year a high percentage of the time and it showed. That’s not the case this year.
I get your point and I am happy to give pnut credit where it is due. We look much more polished and we seem to have a bit more semblance of a game plan. IMO the play calling should have been better in the red zone. It didn't get us beat in Tallahassee but it could have. I don't know if it would have made a difference in the outcome against UCF but I know it didn't help.
This area will need to improve drastically if we are going to steal some games this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
FYI I split this side bar off into its own thread from the Turnovers and Special Teams discussion

I gotta tell ya, site mod'n has been on point these past few months.

And I'm totally not saying that to get on your good side ahead of some questionable anti-Syracuse comments and gifs I'm gonna make in the coming days.

evil-smile.gif

gtfan021

Georgia Tech Fan
I think they edited out one of the plays but yes....this was part of what I was talking about..not sure the rub was really open ...the defender quit on the rub route when the ball was thrown.
My point is we need to be able to run the ball in the red zone. If we can line up and run right at them then we need to do some sort of mis direction.
If we insist on passing in that situation then we need a RPO not a straight drop back pass especially with a second start freshman.
I hear ya with running the ball in the red zone. But you also have to remember “most” teams are going to stack the box on defense in the red zone and play man on the receiver’s since you have a smaller field to work with. But I agree is you see safeties and linebackers dropping back, then we need adjust and run the ball.

Every Catholic on the hill calls Benedictine, "BC". I think this was probably written for " The Savannah Morning News", which was also a Morris Communications property.
I wasn't aware of what you say about the Catholics on the Hill (or course nobody else on here knows what "The Hill" is....LOL). I didn't think about the ties with the Savannah Paper, but I thought the author of that article was syndicated.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't aware of what you say about the Catholics on the Hill (or course nobody else on here knows what "The Hill" is....LOL). I didn't think about the ties with the Savannah Paper, but I thought the author of that article was syndicated.
I knew only a few would get the "inside baseball" jargon, but when I was at ARC, we played the Savannah schools one year. The article probably was syndicated which is how the Chronicle received it from a sister publication. :cool:

I knew only a few would get the "inside baseball" jargon, but when I was at ARC, we played the Savannah schools one year. The article probably was syndicated which is how the Chronicle received it from a sister publication. :cool:
I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but John Boyette, formerly the sports editor at the Chronicle, is apparently no longer there, not only not in that position, but not at all. I have emailed him in the past complaining about the lack of Tech coverage, and we always had a congenial back and forth. I emailed him last week after we got no coverage at all for the FSU game, and I got a failure to deliver message.