Red Zone Offense

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims hesitancy is because if lack of experience. With the short field things are much more compressed in the red zone. It is just going to take a lot of practice and experience. At least this year we are making it to the red zone much more frequently than last year.

I would have to go back and look at all of them to name any specific plays, but overall, we just seem not to have a real plan on offense once we are in the red zone. JMO

Well since ABC screwed up, at least here in my region, I missed 2 red zone plays, the ones right before the blocked kick. But if I had to guess, We need more power running and even use an option play as that has worked even last year. Stress the defense to the outside.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
So for special teams, other than the blocked field goal I thought we did pretty well. They had no returns and we had a 73 yard return. Punting team was outstanding. The reason for the blocks is the kicker is kicking the ball too low. Did you notice the different trajectory when we switched kickers. Also we go a guy who puts kickoffs in the end zone.

For turnovers, the late ones were because we had a young guy pressing, Sims. His fumble was just a good slap and the missed mesh was just two Freshman trying to run it. All correctable.
What was evident to me, as I stated in another thread, while Gibbs is electric, he has some size to put on or he is more the scat back. We were missing Mason big time, particularly in the red zone. Older bigger stronger running back. Till we get him back if I were the coaches I would go with D Smith in the zone. he is a powerful runner. Oh and run the ball more overall.
In retrospect, sans the blocked filed goal (which admittedly, you cannot ignore) that game was our best special teams effort in recent memory)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
In retrospect, sans the blocked filed goal (which admittedly, you cannot ignore) that game was our best special teams effort in recent memory)
2-3 of our wins in 2018 came from special teams alone. Either our execution, or the other team’s mistakes.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So for special teams, other than the blocked field goal I thought we did pretty well. They had no returns and we had a 73 yard return. Punting team was outstanding. The reason for the blocks is the kicker is kicking the ball too low. Did you notice the different trajectory when we switched kickers. Also we go a guy who puts kickoffs in the end zone.

For turnovers, the late ones were because we had a young guy pressing, Sims. His fumble was just a good slap and the missed mesh was just two Freshman trying to run it. All correctable.
What was evident to me, as I stated in another thread, while Gibbs is electric, he has some size to put on or he is more the scat back. We were missing Mason big time, particularly in the red zone. Older bigger stronger running back. Till we get him back if I were the coaches I would go with D Smith in the zone. he is a powerful runner. Oh and run the ball more overall.
Gibbs is 200#. That's no scat back. He's 5-6 pounds heavier than Dantae Smith. They both have good size for the Lightning back. Mason and Griffin are 20-30 pounds heavier and bring the Thunder.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well since ABC screwed up, at least here in my region, I missed 2 red zone plays, the ones right before the blocked kick. But if I had to guess, We need more power running and even use an option play as that has worked even last year. Stress the defense to the outside.
Our first turnover in the red zone was a fumble on the speed option to the outside

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it is the play calling. I think it is the reads by the QB in the redzone. And that's not meant to be a knock, I understand he is young. I think he hesitates more and attempts to force things in the redzone and that hurts. He will improve.
The hesitation prevented him from securing the ball properly leading to the strip.