Red Zone Conversion

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is probably the biggest improvement over last year on offense.

This year, we have scored in every trip into the Red Zone against every team but Duke (4TDs in 6 trips), UNC (3TDs in 4 trips), and BYU (3TDs in 4 trips). We've scored (90.5%) 36 TDs (85.7%) and 2 FGs (4.8%) in 42 trips.

Last year (14 games), we scored (80%) 43 TDs (66.1%) and 9 FGs (13.9%) in 65 trips.

I raise this statistic because we only scored 1 TD in 4 trips against U[sic]Ga last year. That wasn't the difference in the final score, but I have to think that it was part of the equation psychologically.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Announcers said it's the highest percentage in the nation Saturday IIRC. With as bad as we have been with turnovers I'm glad we haven't gotten that bug too much in the red zone. It also helps having a kicker so we don't have to go for it on 4th down from the 25+ yardline.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Hmm, with all the stuff that I have been complaining about being wrong with the offense I have totally missed this stat. Very impressive.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love our offense in the RZ. It doesn't change a lot compared to most offenses. Defenses already line up with shallow safeties the whole way down the field against us and not just when the rear boundary gets close. We are really good at creating manpower advantages even with a lot of defenders in tight spaces. Other offenses have to change when the defended field becomes compressed. Many teams open themselves up to negative plays, by the goal line, running pistol snap rushing plays that can be blown up with blitzes off the edge. Because we go under center, teams have to respect the QB sneak, BB dive, QB follow, and Rocket Toss Sweep. Blitzing off the edge would be suicide in all those cases. We keep them spread out as a result. Plus our OLs are already adept at getting low because they do it all the time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Announcers said it's the highest percentage in the nation Saturday IIRC. With as bad as we have been with turnovers I'm glad we haven't gotten that bug too much in the red zone. It also helps having a kicker so we don't have to go for it on 4th down from the 25+ yardline.

We're 13th in scoring %, but 1st in TD %