Recruiting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The argument in the past has been that Tech needed to recruit more like Stanford. The counter argument was that until Tech got a bigger staff and budget it was more cost effective to recruit closer to home, recruiting 10 prospects in Georgia for the price of recruiting 1 in California.

Then there is this conundrum. Which is more likely, an intelligent and savvy student athlete from Georgia being open to going to a state like California or an intelligent and savvy student athlete from California being open to going to a state like Georgia? Perceptions require a long term effort to change.

When people used to argue endlessly on here about how much the maker of a football jersey impacted recruiting it is clear to me that how you market yourself from a particular region has lots of moving parts.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure it was like 2 years later the staff made the decision that the resources we were spending on nation wide recruiting were not paying off, and they opted to go back to focusing more locally.

Hopefully with some more recruiting talent, money, and a bigger staff, we can do both!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure it was like 2 years later the staff made the decision that the resources we were spending on nation wide recruiting were not paying off, and they opted to go back to focusing more locally.

Hopefully with some more recruiting talent, money, and a bigger staff, we can do both!
Yes. I think spending a load of money to get a commitment from Germany that turned to Michigan on signing day was probably indicative. It is true that our deficits in recruiting structure - not the staffs doing, btw - made recruiting in Georgia a priority. But that hasn't been such a bad thing. Georgia is one of the prime football states in the country; only Florida, California, and (maybe) Pennsylvania are better. And having a team heavy with Georgia recruits meant good ties with high school coaches. And the former staff had good recruiters. The problem was finding them good targets.

But, yes, doing more nationwide might help. We'll see.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Found this interactive map.
http://thedataface.com/2018/08/sports/college-football-map
Look at the footprint for Notre Dame and Standford.....as well as B10 schools. Even Duke has a much larger footprint than Tech,
Animal Shoots, he scores!

Now that's content!

ND and S evil need to go far to get players due to lack of players that can and want to get in .
They cant bring in just anybody like the sec factory schools. They scour close by and show interest away.
Gt where great recriuts live but course and a academics cause us to do the same .

Coach - Key said we need to build relationships early for obvious recruiting reasons. He indicated recruits need to be working on testing. I think he would include ap and early enrollment. This is straight out of how S evil recruits.

Thanks for data base. Cant wait to see u of h and lsu and Arkansas as they relate to east texas and nw la = home of great number of NFL players.

A metric for cgc will be does he have a bigger footprint GETTING HIGH QUALITY

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m not sure we should be using pictures of a dude looking like he’s toking in a doobie.

Like the overall approach though.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We recruited more nationally under chan and gol than under paul with smaller staffs

Chan had a decent texas and ohio link. Gol the north. Both hit florida hard. Did we always land guys there no. But we recruited it hard.

Cgc will do the same I believe

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If we could put a fence around the metro area, we wouldn’t have to go anywhere else. It’s easier to get someone within driving distance of the campus than having parents fly all over the country to see them play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always bought into “we can’t recruit” except for maybe a tad better. This staff has me rethinking that though. I didn’t really start following recruiting until I joined this site (2015) but now that I think about it, and have heard the way the staff sells the program, I believe we can eventually get into the top 15. Maybe I’m wrong, but it’s been done before, and although we weren’t as far behind as other programs then, if we start to catch up (which I believe we are) then I see no reason we can’t get there.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always bought into “we can’t recruit” except for maybe a tad better. This staff has me rethinking that though. I didn’t really start following recruiting until I joined this site (2015) but now that I think about it, and have heard the way the staff sells the program, I believe we can eventually get into the top 15. Maybe I’m wrong, but it’s been done before, and although we weren’t as far behind as other programs then, if we start to catch up (which I believe we are) then I see no reason we can’t get there.

If we are consistently averaging top 30 classes, I’ll be very happy.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I think spending a load of money to get a commitment from Germany that turned to Michigan on signing day was probably indicative. It is true that our deficits in recruiting structure - not the staffs doing, btw - made recruiting in Georgia a priority. But that hasn't been such a bad thing. Georgia is one of the prime football states in the country; only Florida, California, and (maybe) Pennsylvania are better. And having a team heavy with Georgia recruits meant good ties with high school coaches. And the former staff had good recruiters. The problem was finding them good targets.

But, yes, doing more nationwide might help. We'll see.
Texas ain't bad either for recruits.