Recruiting vs Coaching

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I think CGC is a good X/O’s defensive coach. The question is can he get the players needed for his scheme. I wonder if that is what hurt Roof - if his scheme needed players that he wasn’t able to get enough of.

Recruiting by CGC remains to be seen since there is limited history because he has bounced around so much. The plus side of recruiting is that he has some history there (the story about him and O’Leary and the subsequent class; and his SWAG stuff) that suggests that he can recruit. The bigger plus perhaps is that he believes he is a great recruiter and you can feel his energy and passion about it.

Taking the long view, what will determine if he is perceived as a success or not will be how much he wins, what he wins, and who he wins against. Right now, the standard isn’t high. People were so ready for a change and he is considered an exciting hire. All he needs to do right now is win 7 games next year and show a little something for the future, whether it’s a top recruiting class or a wild offense or a bunch of highlight reel defensive plays. If he does that then he’ll be in a good spot, though he’ll have to quickly do better in order to keep up with rising expectations. CPJ was on excellent ground at the end of 2009, but by the end of 2013, if not 2012, I think most fans would have gladly accepted a new coach even if they weren’t voicing any strong desire for change. Gailey never had a losing season and had a few good wins too, but that wasn’t enough - he didn’t beat uga (a mandatory ‘who’ win) nor win an ACC title (a ‘what’ win). If CGC can repeat Gailey, except add a few uga wins and a couple of ACC titles, then he’ll be a great success.

MeatWrench

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm hoping that this new coaching staff can leverage technologies to be more efficient in teaching football concepts on both sides of the ball. One of the things I found most maddening over the previous 11 years was the post game excuses of "turning guys loose", "we blocked the wrong guy", and "we didn't get lined up right". It shouldn't take 2+ years to learn who to block or tackle, and the proper techniques to use.

Being an Institute of Technology should mean that we are cutting edge in applying A/V, analytics, S/C-nutrition, etc. to train better, develop faster, learn quicker, and execute more consistently. The days of X's and O's on a dry erase board should bee over.

Collins says that being a student athlete at GT should be an advantage; time to use the tech tools to maximize the advantage.

Getting beaten by a defender (turned a guy loose) or confused by a defensive front (blocked the wrong guy) is not purely indicative of coaching or lack thereof. The other guy is doing his damndest to beat you too. No qualms with frustration over not being lined up right.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
its not like Rhule gave him an empty slate. The five recruiting classes he had for that team were ranked
5,4,2||||12,7,8. Rhule did an incredible job at temple compared to what Addazio gifted him, but Collins also inherited a hell of a team. Temple was a bit of an odd job for him to coach at, given his past locations though