Recruiting roundup - Offense

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Taking a look at the 2014 class.

We have 18 commits...19 if you count Custis in this class...and we are like to add 2-4 more in this group.

This is a crucial class for CPJ and staff...we came in to this class needing to add some playmakers and add much needed depth to the OL and DB.

I feel like we have accomplished adding depth on the OL but could still use a playmaker in this class...Which is why we have to finish strong this year. Shai McKenzie and Mike Rogers are the much talked about top "1-8" talent on a team.

Looking at our current commits

QB - 1
Done at this position

Matthew Jordan

Jordan has the skill set to fit the CPJ mold of what he likes in a QB....Has a good frame at 6'2 and around 200 pounds. Matthew is a strong runner and is not afraid to take a hit or give one out. He has a decent arm that needs some work still. He can still be a good quarterback in our system and be very effective passing the ball. I actually think he would be a very good fit for someone like Mississippi State. If QB does not work out he could very easily make a switch to WR or another position...he is a team first guy all the way and puts a lot of time and effort into his craft.

RB - 1
1-2 more needed here

Travis Custis - I am quite sure that you all are familar with Custis. He was our prized recruit from the 2013 class...Some things did not work out and he had to delay his enrollment for a semester while he took care of some things off the field. Easily the best B-back recruit that CPJ has landed during his tenure here...he is a powerful back that can run between the tackles and is a load to bring down. Custis is not a burner but he does have enough speed to hurt you. Staff expects a lot from him and soon I might add.

WR - 1
Done at this position

Qua Searcy - The first thing I think of when I see Qua play is smooth...he seems like a natural and the game just comes to him. He plays both ways in HS and I could easily see him being a S if it doesn't work out at WR or we just need to move him over...In fact I would not be opposed to him starting off on defense. He really covers a lot of ground and has good hands and good ball skills. Either way here is another one I am glad we got.

OL - 5 0r 6
most likely done

Gary Brown - Probably my favorite out of the group. He gets off the ball well, has great leverage, knows how to use his body and is quick enough to get to the second level. He also has a mean streak in him and loves to finish blocks. The only knock of him is his height as he is around 6'2. Would not be shocked to see him play next year depending on how fast he picks things up.

Andrew Marshall - He looks to be the center out of this group..He has a natural feel for that position. He shows very good footwork on his film and has good strength. He also has a good frame to build on...will need to add some weight on. Not much to not like about Marshall. Another excellent pull in a area of dire need for us.

Jake Whitley - This one earned his spot in front of the coaches...They recruited him for almost three years and liked enough from what they saw to offer. Once again here is another kid that has a good frame at 6'4 and 295. He is very likely to redshirt next year due to a injury he sustained to his knee this year.

Michael Preddy - Continuing the trend of bigger offensive lineman with this commit...Preddy is 6'5 and had a big frame that he is still filling out. Preddy has long arms which is something that is important when it comes to pass blocking. The coaches love Preddy at OT but he also plays DE in HS and had offers from Wake, Louisville, UNC, Rutgers at that spot. During his Junior year he posted almost 100 tackles and 16 sacks.....He is set to come in at OT but could also play DE.

Jake Stickler - Once again another big offensive lineman...Stickler is close to 6'6 and around 275 as of now. I love his film...He is very fast for a guy his size, has great feet. He is so quick in a short area and really seal the edge. He also has very long arms which is great. This is easily the sleeper recruit at OL...honestly I forgot how good he was until I watched the film again today. Great grab.

Trey Klock - I will count Klock at OL as that is where I think he will start off at...He is someone that likely will be a key piece in the future as CPJ can do many things with Klock. For those who dont know Klock was recruited as a TE by most schools....That is a role he could play in CPJ's for a few plays and do not be surprised to see him even line up at A back. Could even play DE or DT...Klock is too good to keep off the field and he will find a spot. Has a nasty streak in him.

What's left

Shai McKenzie - One of the biggest targets left on our board...Shai will be taking a visit to Pitt this weekend and to GT next weekend. Likely coming down to GT and VT.

Mike Rogers - Could also be a DB...He is planning on taking his OV's and GT will land one.

Donte Thomas-Williams - A WVU lean...outside shot that he will OV to GT.

A lot of names being tossed around at A back...also could take another OL.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
As I have observed previously, no team ever has enough OL. I would love Brown, Marshall, Whitley, Preddy, Stickler and Klock to end up as GT OL.

Eric says: "A lot of names being tossed around at A back...also could take another OL."
I vote for the OL.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
As I have observed previously, no team ever has enough OL. I would love Brown, Marshall, Whitley, Preddy, Stickler and Klock to end up as GT OL.

Eric says: "A lot of names being tossed around at A back...also could take another OL."
I vote for the OL.
Ok. I'll play along. I want the ruuning back.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I am good with OL this year, for once. I would take DTW, Mckenzie, and Autry. Can't have enough potentially good RBs. If we could land a star OL that would be great but don't know if we have that as possibility. I would still take Pittman too.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We have to take an A back in this class...that's a big need going forward. I wouldn't take Autry if we landed DTW and McKenzie though.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Austin twins look great with the ball in their hands. I'd have no issues with either of them converting to A back, then taking another DB if necessary. Is that still an option?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Which OL position does Brown project to? Do any of the OL's coming in as OT's have a good shot at seeing the field next year, that is our weakest OL position, imo.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Any other Bback possibilities, it's the key position in need of a talent upgrade imo.

I love Klock being used completely as a hybrid lineman/Aback/WR you know a TE.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Which OL position does Brown project to? Do any of the OL's coming in as OT's have a good shot at seeing the field next year, that is our weakest OL position, imo.

Guard IMO, but coaches think he could be a tackle too.

I think Stickler could very well earn some time next year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Any other Bback possibilities, it's the key position in need of a talent upgrade imo.

I love Klock being used completely as a hybrid lineman/Aback/WR you know a TE.

We have

Laskey - Sr
Snoddy - Rs Junior
Wilson - Rs Fr
Custis - Fr

We need another A back before we get a B back...once again JMO.

I would love for us to get Shai because he could go the Anthony Allen route and play A while Custis plays B.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
We have

Laskey - Sr
Snoddy - Rs Junior
Wilson - Rs Fr
Custis - Fr

We need another A back before we get a B back...once again JMO.

I would love for us to get Shai because he could go the Anthony Allen route and play A while Custis plays B.
I thought Wilson was an a-back

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I expect him to move soon.

Working on the defense side now...hope to get it posted tomorrow sometime.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Ihaven't ct him to move soon.

Working on the defense side now...hope to get it posted tomorrow sometime.

I wonder what Wilson looks like now I haven't heard much about him. We need game changers in that position badly.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I wonder what Wilson looks like now I haven't heard much about him. We need game changers in that position badly.

IMO, we get some better blocking up front and we will see some good things from the B back spot.

I also think Custis is a gamechanger.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, we get some better blocking up front and we will see some good things from the B back spot.

I also think Custis is a gamechanger.

I agree custis is a game changer, although i am not sure snoddy is cut out to be a bback. I think he and Perkins would make a pretty good aback pair.