Recruiting relationships

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It seems like much of the long term recruiting success is about the relationships built between HS coaching staffs and the GT staff. So how does a situation like C'Bo's recruitment effect that relationship between staffs going forward? Any of our HS coaches or insiders have an opinion?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Can u elaborate? I know about this guy from the recruiting forum but there's nothing there that looks unusual imo. He's looking, we are looking...what is the issue?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
If I understand you correctly, I don’t think so. I haven’t heard his hs coach “shopping” him around for offers. I don’t think this situation is any different than what happened every year where kids decommit on signing day. I DO think that guy PPI? Pro players international? Has burnt a bridge. I don’t think we will offer anybody he is representing . I read that he was still shopping the German kid for more offers for his own gain.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We always hear one side of the story, since the staff can’t talk about players until they sign. Always take what you hear from a teenager with a grain of salt.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
One things that’s telling with C’Bo is that CAM called him and talked about coming to see him. If we weren’t on good terms with him I don’t see that happening. CAM is our best recruiter and I’d imagine this whole thing of recruiting to an area goes out the door after the early signing period, and when you are only going to take 3 or 4 more recruits. Maybe I’m wrong but having CAM calling him let’s me know we want C’Bo and there is no bad blood. Can anyone confirm if that is even CAM’s area to recruit?

If I understand you correctly, I don’t think so. I haven’t heard his hs coach “shopping” him around for offers. I don’t think this situation is any different than what happened every year where kids decommit on signing day. I DO think that guy PPI? Pro players international? Has burnt a bridge. I don’t think we will offer anybody he is representing . I read that he was still shopping the German kid for more offers for his own gain.
Didn't the German kid sign (Michigan, wasn't it)? How can the guy still be shopping him around if he signed?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
C’bo is pimping himself for an SEC offer and got some interest from Tennessee. Took a visit and didn’t commit. Which makes me think it wasn’t a commitable offer. Kid is gonna over play his hand and end up at Arkansas St or WKU.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I doubt we offer many kids without first talking a good bit with their HS coaching staffs to find out about their character and work ethic. And I know from talking to our HS coaches that they often try to bring kids to the attention of college coaches. Especially with kids that are not big time recruiting targets. So in an instance like we are seeing with C'Bo, I wonder how his committing and then shopping us instead of signing effects the relationship between his HS coaching staff and the GT staff going forward?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I doubt we offer many kids without first talking a good bit with their HS coaching staffs to find out about their character and work ethic. And I know from talking to our HS coaches that they often try to bring kids to the attention of college coaches. Especially with kids that are not big time recruiting targets. So in an instance like we are seeing with C'Bo, I wonder how his committing and then shopping us instead of signing effects the relationship between his HS coaching staff and the GT staff going forward?
A coach is not going to be a very successful recruiter if he has a chip on his shoulder with the HS coaching staffs to the point he can't put past incidents aside. If a HS has a player then he has to be recruited regardless. One of those "it's just business" things. Not unlike business, as a matter of fact.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The best recruiting relationship at places like Clemson,UGAG and Alabama is $$$$$$$$;)
Now, see, there you go. If you mean they have big recruiting and travel budgets, and large support staffs, etc., you are absolutely right. And as far as I know, all within NCAA restrictions and guidelines. If you mean something sinister, well, let's have it. I would love to know that because I am just nosy. A few years back Clemson lost a blue chip defensive tackle, supposedly No. 1 at his position in the country, to Ole Miss, after he had committed to Clemson. Clemson offered him nothing save what the scholarship provided, and a chance to compete on the field. He flipped to Oxford. I ain't saying they were loose with the rules, though others will, but his daddy immediately got a job at the local hospital, and Ole Miss right now is hip deep in NCAA violations going back years.

I have never seen anything indicting either Alabama or Clemson for recruiting violations under Saban and Swinney. Not even a suggestion that carried any factual basis. So now, if you have that, by all means I want to hear it. Otherwise, let's try to play fair and concede that right now the Clemsons and Alabamas are kicking us about. If we don't like it then let's stop it. Fair enough?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Now, see, there you go. If you mean they have big recruiting and travel budgets, and large support staffs, etc., you are absolutely right. And as far as I know, all within NCAA restrictions and guidelines. If you mean something sinister, well, let's have it. I would love to know that because I am just nosy. A few years back Clemson lost a blue chip defensive tackle, supposedly No. 1 at his position in the country, to Ole Miss, after he had committed to Clemson. Clemson offered him nothing save what the scholarship provided, and a chance to compete on the field. He flipped to Oxford. I ain't saying they were loose with the rules, though others will, but his daddy immediately got a job at the local hospital, and Ole Miss right now is hip deep in NCAA violations going back years.

I have never seen anything indicting either Alabama or Clemson for recruiting violations under Saban and Swinney. Not even a suggestion that carried any factual basis. So now, if you have that, by all means I want to hear it. Otherwise, let's try to play fair and concede that right now the Clemsons and Alabamas are kicking us about. If we don't like it then let's stop it. Fair enough?

Agreed - sa(t)an really does not have to cheat - he has all of the advantages without cheating (my guess is that even alumni who want to "assist" him in recruiting are scared of this guy). In regards to Dabo, I think parents and SA's see him as very likable guy who has their best interest at heart. Between the 2, I think Dabo is really much better and genuine for the kids. Dabo might be a little more naive about his alumni and what they are doing, compared to sa(t)an, but I think he wants to run an above the board program.

I would not trust sa(t)an for anything, but honestly, he doesn't have to cheat. When I say "I don't trust him, I meant I don't think he has the SA's best interests in mind. He coaches at a school where football is God, he has personal letters from many NFL coaches about his ability to help the SA's get to the next level, he has a proven track record of getting kids (especially on the D-side of the ball) to the next level, and becasue of their depth, the risk to injury is much reduced at Bammer as compared to a place where the players have to play almost every down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

kenpagedollars.jpg

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2008/03/perhaps-it-pays-to-sign-with-clemson.html

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Remember the NCAA plays favorites with schools like Alabama;)

Cam

Helluva Engineer

Now, I ain't saying this is definitive proof of them cheating, but this is always a fun thread to link to regarding Alabama's recruiting prowess.
https://247sports.com/college/usc/B...s-Recruiting-Dominance-Continues-Wow-50860219

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Agreed - sa(t)an really does not have to cheat - he has all of the advantages without cheating (my guess is that even alumni who want to "assist" him in recruiting are scared of this guy). In regards to Dabo, I think parents and SA's see him as very likable guy who has their best interest at heart. Between the 2, I think Dabo is really much better and genuine for the kids. Dabo might be a little more naive about his alumni and what they are doing, compared to sa(t)an, but I think he wants to run an above the board program.

I would not trust sa(t)an for anything, but honestly, he doesn't have to cheat. When I say "I don't trust him, I meant I don't think he has the SA's best interests in mind. He coaches at a school where football is God, he has personal letters from many NFL coaches about his ability to help the SA's get to the next level, he has a proven track record of getting kids (especially on the D-side of the ball) to the next level, and becasue of their depth, the risk to injury is much reduced at Bammer as compared to a place where the players have to play almost every down.
Supposedly (I have not seen it before) ACC players were polled about which coach they would like to play for, and they could not vote for their own coach. Swinney "won" in a walk because players thought he would be fun to play for. Swinney reacted that, "Everybody wants to play for me until they play for me." But his own players frequently talk about how he cares for them. Pretty interesting. Don't know about the booster thing other than he frequently talks to his players and IPTAY about that "innocent" $20 or $50 bill. I tend to agree about Saban, and while he is building quite a coaching tree, I gather the jockeying on the staff is pretty much cutthroat.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have seen that before and it just doesn't pass the smell test. If those are all 20s then that young man had his retirement money already. And he was a 4-star. Imagine a 5. I can find no evidence of an NCAA inquiry or even that the picture caused much noise at the time. Amusing but even the NCAA, particularly after the fiasco of the Danny Ford years of the '80s, would have had to look into that. Another and fairly early internet hoax I gather.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Now, I ain't saying this is definitive proof of them cheating, but this is always a fun thread to link to regarding Alabama's recruiting prowess.
https://247sports.com/college/usc/B...s-Recruiting-Dominance-Continues-Wow-50860219
Is it just me or does it seem that every one of those automobile shots were taken on the dealer lot? At night? As a skeptic, I just wonder about such things and how in the world a U of Southern California website compiled so many pictures. I can't even find a snapshot of my kids when I need it.