Recruiting limitations and imbalance...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We all agree (I think) that GT is a very unique place and faces some barriers that other schools do not in terms of recruiting. With that being said, when I reflect over the GT teams of the last 15 -20 years or so I notice that we are always very good on one side of the ball. With GOL and CPJ, it has been on offense. With CCG, we were good to excellent on D most of the time. (There are outliers to the above but I think the general premise holds).

Why do you think that is the case? If it were merely recruiting limitations it seems like we would be average or worse across both units. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Possible causes: coaches funnel better athletes to the unit of their liking/preference. Coaching philosophies inhibit recruiting on other side of ball (we hear - whether true or not - about the 3O. Any other possibilities? I post this because, despite, our recruiting limitations, we have fielded some excellent offensive and defensive units over the last 20 years. Just never at the same time. Why does this happen?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Im gonna take a guess and say that up until the past year or 2 weve been relatively limited on our ability to recruit. So ofcourse if you are defensive minded, you may focus more resources to recruiting that side of the ball. The inverse would go for an offensive minded coach. But now that MBob has added to our recruiting team... we may actually get to see good on both sides of the ball AT THE SAME TIME!!! We just need some depth and talent on the Dline and the rest will look much better