Recruiting just my thoughts

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
We have some players that should be fun to watch next year, but shouldn't we be going after a true pg? If that's what's killing us this year "besides the coach" we need to start searching hard for a pg.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure this has crossed the current staffs mind as well.

The fact that they have yet to bring in an impact guard in 5 years or develop one that has committed should point to a very pessimistic attitude about their ability to recruit the position and their current standing shouldn't give you much confidence in their ability to land one going forward.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
If jorgenson and Tadric would have turned out as expected, we would have a great PG duo. Jorgenson was a high 3* and Tadric was a 4*. This makes me think the coaches are to blame more for their ability to develop PGs rather than recruit. I agree though...it would be nice to land another 4* PG this year.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
If jorgenson and Tadric would have turned out as expected, we would have a great PG duo. Jorgenson was a high 3* and Tadric was a 4*. This makes me think the coaches are to blame more for their ability to develop PGs rather than recruit. I agree though...it would be nice to land another 4* PG this year.

Well Travis got hurt so not sure we can blame his development on coaches and I believe Tadric was never meant to be a PG? He's more of a SG even though I wish the staff would move him to PG

Solomon Poole is where the staff struck out the most on a PG

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
FYI: Poole is averaging a blazing 7.2 ppg and 1.6 apg at FAU.

Maybe there's a soon-to-be grad student out there who is a decent PG (and scorer). Can always hope.

Next year I'm not sure if we can afford to have a PG who can't contribute some scoring.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Jax is no PG. never has been.

Jorgy, I still have hope for him, he was a nice prospect in Prep. Hopefully he can get back. His ceiling is a lot higher than Heaths

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
FYI: Poole is averaging a blazing 7.2 ppg and 1.6 apg at FAU.

Maybe there's a soon-to-be grad student out there who is a decent PG (and scorer). Can always hope.

Next year I'm not sure if we can afford to have a PG who can't contribute some scoring.

Yeah, with more turnovers than assists, and as a senior is playing 9.5mpg less than he did as a junior.

Kid is an enigma and this staff mortgaged the whole program and their legacy within the program on him.

Idiots

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Caveat: I know very little about basketball, so I'll apologize if this question is dumb.

Are PGs particularly hard to recruit? In short supply? Are other positions easier to recruit for/more good players in general available at the prep level? Iow is PG something like DT in football for us?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Caveat: I know very little about basketball, so I'll apologize if this question is dumb.

Are PGs particularly hard to recruit? In short supply? Are other positions easier to recruit for/more good players in general available at the prep level? Iow is PG something like DT in football for us?

PG maybe more than any other position will usually be attracted to a coaches style. For instance, Calipari runs a system that will always be attractive to PGs. same with Pitino and Williams. I am surprised Mike Anderson doesn't get better PGs, though he does have great backcourt players in Durham, Bell and Hannah's. High usage, sometimes up-tempo, lot of dribble drive, lots of possessions.

It's also the reason Mfon Udofia never made it in Atlanta. Played up tempo for 4 yrs of HS and comes and plays in the plugged toilet offense and then Gregory's for a year.

Slow it down grind it out styles are rarely very attractive, UConn would be the exception not the rule and the reason for that is Ollie, like Calhoun, has the ball in his PGs hand a crazy high % of the time.

It seems like with the decline of the NY PGs the amount of hard nosed, slow it down, defensive PG has become less common as well. I think Kemba Walker is the only NY PG in the league.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
PG maybe more than any other position will usually be attracted to a coaches style. For instance, Calipari runs a system that will always be attractive to PGs. same with Pitino and Williams. I am surprised Mike Anderson doesn't get better PGs, though he does have great backcourt players in Durham, Bell and Hannah's. High usage, sometimes up-tempo, lot of dribble drive, lots of possessions.

It's also the reason Mfon Udofia never made it in Atlanta. Played up tempo for 4 yrs of HS and comes and plays in the plugged toilet offense and then Gregory's for a year.

Slow it down grind it out styles are rarely very attractive, UConn would be the exception not the rule and the reason for that is Ollie, like Calhoun, has the ball in his PGs hand a crazy high % of the time.

It seems like with the decline of the NY PGs the amount of hard nosed, slow it down, defensive PG has become less common as well. I think Kemba Walker is the only NY PG in the league.
That really helps me visualize and understand, thank you! (y)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I agree that PGs are attracted to a coach's style.

UVA, Wisconsin, and Syracuse are examples of slow tempo offenses that haven't had trouble at PG. Difference is those offenses are fluid. I think the fact that we don't have a cohesive nor recognizable system likely makes it difficult for good PGs to recognize how they'd fit it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I agree that PGs are attracted to a coach's style.

UVA, Wisconsin, and Syracuse are examples of slow tempo offenses that haven't had trouble at PG. Difference is those offenses are fluid. I think the fact that we don't have a cohesive nor recognizable system likely makes it difficult for good PGs to recognize how they'd fit it.

This is true. I would put Cuse in there with UConn as the exceptions. Boeheim is just a damn fine recruiter. Those other two programs tend to develop good point guards more often than landing top 20 guys though wouldnt you agree? Or at least find the guys in maybe the Top 150-250 that fit their style perfectly.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This is true. I would put Cuse in there with UConn as the exceptions. Boeheim is just a damn fine recruiter. Those other two programs tend to develop good point guards more often than landing top 20 guys though wouldnt you agree? Or at least find the guys in maybe the Top 150-250 that fit their style perfectly.
Yea I agree for the most part. Perrantes was a 3*. Wisconsin historically rarely gets 4* at any position. Point is they all set up a PG for success and their offensive style can be described in a few words and easily recognized.

Jokes aside, how do you even recruit a PG to our current system? I don't know if we're going for up tempo, ball control, post-game, perimeter game, etc. It varies game to game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Jokes aside, how do you even recruit a PG to our current system? I don't know if we're going for up tempo, ball control, post-game, perimeter game, etc. It varies game to game.

Honestly? You dont apparently.

Right, jokes aside. In my opinion you had to develop the first one. When i think guys who would be effective in our current system, most of them are Big 10 guys strangely enough. Aaron Craft, The Jackson kid from Wisconsin, Gesell etc.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like we have the only stumpy, gym rat, white point guard in history that can't shoot.

He could shoot in HS. His SR yr in NE prep league (which used college rules and 3-pt line) he shot 39% from three (and almost 90% from the line). i think his injury just took it away from him. His stroke and his leg lift has not looked the same since he got hurt than his film looked before he got hurt.
it does happen. Happened to Jeremis Smith with a different type of leg injury. To watch his HS film is to see someone who looks like the second coming of Ish with a little more skill. After his injuries he had to re-build his game based on a below the rim strength game and be more of an undersized 4 than a high flying 3.