Recruiting/Football roundup - Christmas edition

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Merry Christmas to you all and hope you all enjoying the holidays with family and friends...here is a little something to read during your downtime.

Bowl talk

The team is off until Friday and then they will return to Tech and head to Nashville then.

Coach Johnson and the staff thinks a lot of this Ole Miss team and have been watching a ton of tape on them.

CPJ feels very confident on how Dave Wommack and Ole Miss will line up and try to defend him...I feel we will have a good coaching advantage in this area.

The Ole Miss defense is very athletic and we will have to play good to beat them..Cody Prewitt at DB is All American and a sure tackler. He will be one to watch.

Tech players seem excited to play in this bowl and are looking forward to facing a SEC opponent...They want to send the Seniors out the right way.

This game means a lot for Shaq Mason and Will Jackson as they are both from Tennessee.

As for suspensions it looks like we will be good for the bowl game...1-2 players are close as far as grades go but they should be fine.

Attrition

Almost every year we have some attrition and I expect this year to be the same..I am expecting between 2-4 scholarship players to leave the team between now and after Spring.

Anthony Williams will be returning for his Senior year...he has confirmed that with me. Good news for us depth wise and hopefully he can earn some playing time...he has told me he is focusing on football only next year and dedicating himself to the game.

Transfers

Kenderius Whitehead is one of the main guys that is looking to transfer in to Georgia Tech...as we have reported we are still waiting on him to get into to GT and we are not aware of how long that will take...it is likely going to be sometime before we know 100% of what will happen with him. He wants to stay as close to home as he can.

Lo Wood is another transfer that is looking at Tech...as of now he is not a take for Tech and the staff is leaning toward taking another recruit in this class instead of him. If we want him then he will likely come here. Once again no final choice has been made on this.

There is one more guy who wants to transfer in but I do not think we will take him.

Recruiting

The main question on everyone's mind now is how many more people can we take on this class...no one really knows to be honest...but it could be anywhere from 2-4. They are doing there best to find spots and squeeze guys in...do not expect many walkons to be on scholarships next year.

CJ Leggett is solid to Tech...do not worry about what Carvell says in the AJC. Although many schools have tried to get in touch with him this last week.

The next big visit weekend is Jan 17th...we have a ton of committed recruits coming in then and likely a handful of uncommitted guys.

One of those uncommitted guys in Ja'Merez Bowen...he is a flex guy and could play OL or DT. It says a lot that the coaches like him over someone like Jamiyus Pittman.

Lamont Simmons is another guy that the coaches are staying on...he is looking at Auburn, USCw, Penn St, Arkansas and GT...if we decided to take him then we will be the team to beat. He will here on the 24th.

Myles Autry is a popular name....GT will get his last OV on the 31st...FSU is the main team to watch here besides us. They are still deciding on if he will be a take or not...Expect him to take a official visit to FSU.

A lot of my sources feel good about Michael Rogers but from talking to him I think he will wind up at UCF. He also needs a better test score to get into Tech..I think he will taking another test in January.

I think we will take 3 more...Could be a mix of several players...Rogers, Autry, Whitehead, Bowen, Simmons and a couple of other guys in the mix.

My guess right now would be Autry, Bowen and Simmons...but that is just a guess and could change tomorrow.

Questions

Q: Eric, what can tell us about Tyrell Maxwell?

A: He was a backup option a longtime ago...I have not heard his named mentioned in quite awhile. I think he is a lower D1 player.

Q: No more DT's?

A: Bowen could be one...we are only going to take one if we feel they can make a impact. We have a ton of young DTs on the roster.

Q: Any additional OL or DL recruits?

A: Bowen is one...and Whitehead is another. They are looking at a couple of more guys at DL but I think we would only take one more max...we are totally done on the OL.

Q: What is Whitehead lacking to get past academic hurdles? Can you give a percent likelihood he will overcome them and wind up at Tech.

A: I can not tell you 100% on what he needs but I think he is missing a class we need...This is a pure guess but I would put it somewhere near 50%.

Q: Glenville duo update now that Jones is being predicted to switch to UK?

A: They are Ohio State bound...Fwiw I also tend to think that Marcelys will stick it out with Ohio State.

Q: Is there a NSD pick that flips to GT? If you think so, who would you bet on?

A: I do not expect a flip on NSD but I do expect a flip sometime in January....Sorry but I cant post his name right now.

Q: You have stated that you think that 1 or 2 may flip to GT. Are they 3*/4*s or under the radar?

A: The one I feel we will flip is a 3* and a player that I really like.

Q: What's the latest news on some under the radar targets?

A: I am not sure what guys you are talking about...most of targets that you guys are aware of are the only ones I am aware of. If there is a under the radar guy that the staff really likes they will keep him quiet as long as they can.

Q: Will Roof get the DB he covets?

A: I think if he decides he wants Lamont Simmons then he will get him.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
As always if there are any questions feel free to ask...and if I did not cover something in as much detail as you would like feel free to ask about it.

I plan to do a redshirt update in the next month or so.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
As always if there are any questions feel free to ask...and if I did not cover something in as much detail as you would like feel free to ask about it.

I plan to do a redshirt update in the next month or so.

I'm looking forward to that, there are a number of RS that I am waiting to hear updates on.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Since you dont think we will get Whitehead, is that bc you dont think he will get into school or just pick somewhere else?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If Simmons really is choosing from that group of schools, it seems like he would be ranked higher. I would think Auburn, USCw would pretty much have their pick. Does Simmons really have committable offers from those schools he's looking at?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
If Simmons really is choosing from that group of schools, it seems like he would be ranked higher. I would think Auburn, USCw would pretty much have their pick. Does Simmons really have committable offers from those schools he's looking at?

That can be debated....I know the Auburn offer isnt. I think the Penn St and USCw is.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
"If" Vandy's coach goes pro will that impact any flips from them? I know we were after one or two of the same guys at one point.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Of the Glenville trio I think Erik Smith would be the one that we could get. Is it possible for him to branch off from the other two and come here?