Recruiting "Commitments"

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic addressed a reader question today about Dabo's policy of not allowing committed recruits to take other visits. Andy Staples said that was not common but, contrary to the impression some might have, he did not view it as unfair to the recruits: "This may sound one-sided because so many deals in college sports are, but it’s really a case of two parties using their leverage to seek the best possible situation. That’s how everything is supposed to work."

Staples said that when Clemson makes an offer, unlike a lot of other schools, they plan to stand by their offer and do not practice pulling offers late if bigger recruits come in or ambushing recruits with greyshirt status. He said that Clemson only offers about 100 scholarships a year, compared to other competitors that offer scholarships that really cannot all be legitimate (Georgia (267), Alabama (252) and Ohio State (206)) and some extreme schools (Southern Miss (587 in 2020) or Tennessee (490)).

He also talked about Paul Johnson having a similar philosophy, but said he wasn't sure it made as much sense for Georgia Tech: "But he probably shouldn’t have because he lacked the leverage to enforce it." He cited the example of Tre Jackson, where CPJ pulled his commitment when Tre went to visit FSU after committing to Tech.

First, I will just add that I am not sure Staples got the nuance of CPJ's rule correct. While CPJ did say that he did not consider kids that took additional visits to truly be committed and would not necessarily hold their place for them, CPJ did not rescind the kid's offer. The kid still had an offer and could recommit to Tech anytime he wanted. I suspect any kid that actually wanted to come to Tech did not change his mind because of CPJ's policy, it just kept recruits that wanted to use a Tech offer as one sided-leverage for other schools from hurting Tech.

Also, I am curious if anyone knows how CGC handles offers? I would guess that, especially in the transition, we are probably handing out 200-300 offers like most schools, but have no idea.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson has a hell of a lot more leverage than GT. Obviously some athletes have more leverage than others. CGC let Jamious Griffin take visits to other schools and keep his offer and commitment.

Deleted member 2897

The Athletic addressed a reader question today about Dabo's policy of not allowing committed recruits to take other visits. Andy Staples said that was not common but, contrary to the impression some might have, he did not view it as unfair to the recruits: "This may sound one-sided because so many deals in college sports are, but it’s really a case of two parties using their leverage to seek the best possible situation. That’s how everything is supposed to work."

Staples said that when Clemson makes an offer, unlike a lot of other schools, they plan to stand by their offer and do not practice pulling offers late if bigger recruits come in or ambushing recruits with greyshirt status. He said that Clemson only offers about 100 scholarships a year, compared to other competitors that offer scholarships that really cannot all be legitimate (Georgia (267), Alabama (252) and Ohio State (206)) and some extreme schools (Southern Miss (587 in 2020) or Tennessee (490)).

He also talked about Paul Johnson having a similar philosophy, but said he wasn't sure it made as much sense for Georgia Tech: "But he probably shouldn’t have because he lacked the leverage to enforce it." He cited the example of Tre Jackson, where CPJ pulled his commitment when Tre went to visit FSU after committing to Tech.

First, I will just add that I am not sure Staples got the nuance of CPJ's rule correct. While CPJ did say that he did not consider kids that took additional visits to truly be committed and would not necessarily hold their place for them, CPJ did not rescind the kid's offer. The kid still had an offer and could recommit to Tech anytime he wanted. I suspect any kid that actually wanted to come to Tech did not change his mind because of CPJ's policy, it just kept recruits that wanted to use a Tech offer as one sided-leverage for other schools from hurting Tech.

Also, I am curious if anyone knows how CGC handles offers? I would guess that, especially in the transition, we are probably handing out 200-300 offers like most schools, but have no idea.

This is typical Dabo hocus pocus. Clemson has a very small class coming out - they are 3 over the scholarship limit right now and with only 13 seniors.

If you skip this year and go back in time - I picked several years 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017/2018, Georgia Tech averaged 187 scholarship offers per year. Clemson averaged 165. Yes theirs is less, but not by some massive amount. They also do get a natural benefit of being in the CFP every year now where they get early commits and ones that stick so they don't have to work as hard recruiting.

Deleted member 2897

This is typical Dabo hocus pocus. Clemson has a very small class coming out - they are 3 over the scholarship limit right now and with only 13 seniors.

If you skip this year and go back in time - I picked several years 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017/2018, Georgia Tech averaged 187 scholarship offers per year. Clemson averaged 165. Yes theirs is less, but not by some massive amount. They also do get a natural benefit of being in the CFP every year now where they get early commits and ones that stick so they don't have to work as hard recruiting.

For example, in Georgia Tech's 2020 class, we had 4 commits by the end of March 2019. Clemson had 9. Our first commit was March 7th, 2019. Clemson had 5 in 2018 and 7 by the end of January 2019.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has a hell of a lot more leverage than GT. Obviously some athletes have more leverage than others. CGC let Jamious Griffin take visits to other schools and keep his offer and commitment.
I think you mean Jahmyr Gibbs. Each recruit is unique and there is a certain amount of leverage they possess. With a talent like Gibbs, he had legitimate opportunities to commit to Alabama, LSU, or Ohio State late in the cycle, so he's not a guy you're going to squeeze into staying committed. If we restricted his visit rights, he could easily take that as disrespect, decommit, and go elsewhere. Instead we said, "We're not worried. Take your visits, get the star treatment, and have fun." Our confidence paid off in the long run.

On the other side, you have JaQuari Wiggles and Tyson Meiguez. Remember that Wiggles visited Illinois, then decommitted, and soon after Emmanuel Johnson committed. Meiguez also had a visit lined up to Michigan State then all of a sudden cancelled it and shut down his recruitment. Reading between the lines, these were situations where the staff likely used their leverage and said, "Don't get on that plane because an offer won't be here for you when you get back." Their recruiting situations obviously weren't that cut and dry and there are always a ton of variables in a commitment/decommitment, but going on visits elsewhere is really dangerous if you don't have the proper clout.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Clemson was literally turning down 5 stars and 4 stars last season. They are just playing a different ball game than GT...but it's not apples to apples either.

Anyhow, let's deal with the now. Recruiting is improving, and our staff has GT buzzing in the recruiting scene. Honestly, I enjoy following recruiting, and I worry less now about it.

At the end of the day, it's all about winning. I care more about the W's on our record than the W's in recruiting. CGC needs to improve on the latter and the recruiting improvement will help.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson was literally turning down 5 stars and 4 stars last season. They are just playing a different ball game than GT...but it's not apples to apples either.

Anyhow, let's deal with the now. Recruiting is improving, and our staff has GT buzzing in the recruiting scene. Honestly, I enjoy following recruiting, and I worry less now about it.

At the end of the day, it's all about winning. I care more about the W's on our record than the W's in recruiting. CGC needs to improve on the latter and the recruiting improvement will help.

We may go undefeated this fall!

:poop::poop::poop:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If you are transparent (Paul was), then I think this is an honorable way of doing things. Is it better? That's a bit subjective. You can't necessarily compare CPJ with CGC on recruiting and say that this policy is meaningful to the difference in the results. Just as you can't compare Clemson to GT and say the same. I personally respected Paul's way of doing things very much. And I would be miffed seriously if CGC was not transparent or did not honor the situations he communicates with recruits. With CPJ, it was the same situation with everyone, so it's a lot easier to know how things are going from the outside looking in. CGC tends to get praise for the quality of his relationships with recruits and families, though.

Personally, I think CPJ (and Dabo) have the better idea. But, I do think that a more typical set of rules in honoring commitments is at least in our short-term interest. We are needing to develop a much different set of personnel than came before, and CGC is certainly doing that.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you mean Jahmyr Gibbs. Each recruit is unique and there is a certain amount of leverage they possess. With a talent like Gibbs, he had legitimate opportunities to commit to Alabama, LSU, or Ohio State late in the cycle, so he's not a guy you're going to squeeze into staying committed. If we restricted his visit rights, he could easily take that as disrespect, decommit, and go elsewhere. Instead we said, "We're not worried. Take your visits, get the star treatment, and have fun." Our confidence paid off in the long run.

On the other side, you have JaQuari Wiggles and Tyson Meiguez. Remember that Wiggles visited Illinois, then decommitted, and soon after Emmanuel Johnson committed. Meiguez also had a visit lined up to Michigan State then all of a sudden cancelled it and shut down his recruitment. Reading between the lines, these were situations where the staff likely used their leverage and said, "Don't get on that plane because an offer won't be here for you when you get back." Their recruiting situations obviously weren't that cut and dry and there are always a ton of variables in a commitment/decommitment, but going on visits elsewhere is really dangerous if you don't have the proper clout.

You are correct I meant Jahmyr Gibbs. You are saying in a clearer manner pretty much what I was trying to say.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Last I saw our 2021 class was ranked 60 on rivals... Man I really hope juice builds juice and CGC can get another top 30 class....
Not having a spring game killed us. I think CGC and his crew were planning something big for months. Not the usual music and charades, but some cool and awe inspiring for potential recruits.