Recruiting Challenge Update: $315k

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
The big takeaway is that Tech raised $315K with 320 contributors. That will do.
<James Cromwell voice>That’ll do, Pig. That’ll do.</>
68009E20-D4DA-4A15-9820-F717F08600A0.jpeg

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The big takeaway is that Tech raised $315K with 320 contributors. That will do.

They didn't explain the number in detail, which I wouldn't expect them to. I assume that means that $215k was raised by ~319 contributors since there was a $100k match from one at the $200k mark. That means that 319 people averaged ~$675 per contributor to reach the $215k mark. Some were probably less than $100, and we saw one in the forums that was $1,500.

I am pleased that they reached the goal. I hope they can arrange programs that get a few thousand people to donate $100, or at least $20 each. 10,000 people donating $100 would bring in $1 million. I could be wrong, but I believe that the more people that they can get to donate and feel like they are part of the program, the better the program will be not just financially but from a fan engagement and support standpoint also.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They didn't explain the number in detail, which I wouldn't expect them to. I assume that means that $215k was raised by ~319 contributors since there was a $100k match from one at the $200k mark. That means that 319 people averaged ~$675 per contributor to reach the $215k mark. Some were probably less than $100, and we saw one in the forums that was $1,500.

I am pleased that they reached the goal. I hope they can arrange programs that get a few thousand people to donate $100, or at least $20 each. 10,000 people donating $100 would bring in $1 million. I could be wrong, but I believe that the more people that they can get to donate and feel like they are part of the program, the better the program will be not just financially but from a fan engagement and support standpoint also.

Did you catch the news yesterday? u(sic) GA raised ticket prices from $50 to $75 each. As they explained, “Winning is expensive.”

Milwaukee

Banned
Did you catch the news yesterday? u(sic) GA raised ticket prices from $50 to $75 each. As they explained, “Winning is expensive.”

And their fans are bitching about it because, in their opinion, they had an influx of 42M this past year so they don't think it's fair. They think the AD should eat that since they had such a great year and tix should actually be decreased. I'm not making this up.

Business 101

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And their fans are bitching about it because, in their opinion, they had an influx of 42M this past year so they don't think it's fair. They think the AD should eat that since they had such a great year and tix should actually be decreased. I'm not making this up.

But unlike Tech fans, they will pay it and fill the stadium up. They will also buy Walmart and Target out of everything that is red with a *$@ logo on it.

If GT raises the ticket price, how do you think this forum will react?

We need more fans like the people who have donated to this challenge.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I think I would change that to say "Competing is expensive". GT's football budget has not been high enough to keep up with all but one other ACC team. We need more fundraisers like this, and we fans need to support them.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow

New article on ramblinwreck.com gets into the details. $315,000 is before the match. I had assumed the same as above ($215 + first part of the match). For such a strange little side project, I am impressed with the results. They are looking for the last $85,000.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
New article on ramblinwreck.com gets into the details. $315,000 is before the match. I had assumed the same as above ($215 + first part of the match). For such a strange little side project, I am impressed with the results. They are looking for the last $85,000.

I just read the article, thanks for pointing it out. I am pleasantly surprised that they didn't play games with the numbers to make the look better. That means that the average for 320 people was $984 each. It also means that about $130k was raised in the last week as they said about a week ago that they were at $185k. I would think that since they raised $130k in a week after rolling it out a little wider, that the final $85k won't be a problem to raise by the end of the year.

It is good to finally see a group of people support the football program. I hope that TS continues to work on initiatives like this in the future.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well we know there are at least a handful or two (most likely more) that participate on GTSWARM that are part of the 320.

For those that didn't, even a $5 or $10 contribution will add up. So skip that Starbucks for a couple of days and make a difference in GTAA Football recruiting. You'll probably good for doing so. ;)

Came here to say the same thing.

It's time to put up or shut up.

You can only donate $5? Fine. That's better than nothing and shows the administration that people care and want to support the program.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Well we know there are at least a handful or two (most likely more) that participate on GTSWARM that are part of the 320.

For those that didn't, even a $5 or $10 contribution will add up. So skip that Starbucks for a couple of days and make a difference in GTAA Football recruiting. You'll probably good for doing so. ;)
FWIW, I think the 5 and 10 dollar donations might even be more important, and here's why (bear with me).

If you are one of the 300 hardened GT donors that gives 1000 bucks, you're going to be with the program NO MATTER WHAT. If you're the kind of guy that gives a G for recruiting, you're all in, and have been for some time. This program doesn't make a lick of difference for how much you care about GT's program, you were at 100% to begin with. They have season tickets, and they're going to be there, rain or shine.

That said, there are about a million and fifty people who have no skin in the game at all, and see GT and go "oh I kinda like them". If you get THAT guy to put in 10 bucks, he's got a little connection to the program, and I'm of the opinion he's WAY more likely to one or two random saturdays in the fall go "you know, lets head downtown and watch a game, I actually contributed to that team, I'd like to see if it paid off".

Building that secondary network of folks who actually sorta care about the program, because they feel like, in some small way, they're personally connected. They're PART of that program, and it's THAT level of folks, who bring their kids to games, whose kids wear GT gear around school, who have GT bumper stickers but aren't invited to the luxury suites that make a program and a following.

I know it takes 100 of those folks to equal the up front impact of one hard core type, but I think long term, that's how you want to be.

Thats the kind of person GT needs to be reaching out to.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
^^To wit: George Mason basketball got me giving 20 bucks a year to the basketball program, broken out in 4 quarterly donations of 5 bucks. That means NOTHING to them. It's probably not even worth it to them in processing costs.

But you know what? Every time I see that deduction, I get a little bit happy, and think about GMU hoops. And this year I've driven to Fairfax 3 times with my daughter, and bought 2 tickets, and we've cheered the team on, and we've bought hot dogs and popcorn, and I wear my GMU sweatshirt around all the time.

I know EXACTLY how it feels to be a really low level giver, and because they took the time to reach out to me after I randomly attended a game a few years ago, they probably get $200 a year out of me, and will for the forseeable future, and they're getting a kid raised as a GMU fan.

There's value in that.