Recruiting Bias...247

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA just flipped a 2 star, 75 rated player from Louisville. And just like that, 247 bumped him to an 85 rated player and high 3 star shortly thereafter. Recruiting services do NOT re-rate players 4 days prior to NSD.

247 is the biggest joke of a recruiting service ever. May as well change their name to SEC247.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Reminds me of an article I read a few years back that referenced an assistant coach (for USCe?) that said all you needed to do was to know who to call to adjust the stars up and down.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, GT recruits also get the same bump. Lots of commits the past few years have gone from 2 star to 3 star or even NR to 3 star after committing to us.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA just flipped a 2 star, 75 rated player from Louisville. And just like that, 247 bumped him to an 85 rated player and high 3 star shortly thereafter. Recruiting services do NOT re-rate players 4 days prior to NSD.

247 is the biggest joke of a recruiting service ever. May as well change their name to SEC247.

Stars are 90% off of who is paying for subscriptions. The SEC fan base is most likely their highest % of members and if their team is recruiting someone or got a commitment then their "star rating" goes up and hence also increases the hits on their site. There are some kids who are legit blue chip athletes and deserve the 5 star rating but the 2-4 rating is a subscriptions influence.

gtdrew

Banned
Stars are 90% off of who is paying for subscriptions. The SEC fan base is most likely their highest % of members and if their team is recruiting someone or got a commitment then their "star rating" goes up and hence also increases the hits on their site. There are some kids who are legit blue chip athletes and deserve the 5 star rating but the 2-4 rating is a subscriptions influence.
That's not a bad way of putting it, actually...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, I guess it's our fanbases fault for CPJ not having more 4/5 star recruits! Let's start a movement to get GT fans to subscribe more to the recruiting services! For Christmas, birthdays, wedding anniversaries, Channukah, baptisms, etc...instead of gifts and money, we need to get people subscriptions to recruiting services. Come on folks...let's do our part to get CPJ those 4/5 star recruits!

WE need to stop blaming the coaches and look in the mirror and start blaming our cheap selves for GT recruiting woes.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, GT recruits also get the same bump. Lots of commits the past few years have gone from 2 star to 3 star or even NR to 3 star after committing to us.

Yeah but no later than November after high school football ends and final film comes out. Sorry but a bump like that 4 days prior to NSD is ridiculous and way too obvious.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but no later than November after high school football ends and final film comes out. Sorry but a bump like that 4 days prior to NSD is ridiculous and way too obvious.

Um, I've seen some our last minute kids also get bumps from NR to 2 stars.

Maybe we need to stop worrying too much about player ratings, and start worrying about on the field college production and our team record.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All of who committed before January and had a legit reason, being senior film, for the bump.

Deon Hill - 1/24/2010
Demon Smith - 1/16/2011
Corey Dennis - 1/16/2011
Jamal Golden - 1/5/2011
Tyler Marcordes - 12/22/20110
Travin Henry - 1/29/2012

BTW I'm using Rivals

EDIT: If you refer to their Rivals rankings, then cross check it with their commit write ups that the AJC did at the time, you can see the star bump. (Check out the comment section...lots of those commenters lament the "star" ratings of those recruits at the time. Jamal Golden for instance, was quoted as a 2 star in the article by TideSports which is a Rivals affiliate.)

Last edited:

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol I don't even know why we are arguing about this topic, sometimes stars are relatable to performance on the field (all four key members of 07' were 4 star recruits) and sometimes it has no impact at all, for every two star no name there is a 5 star bust as well. There are a ton of 2 star recruits plAying in the nfl. I just like to see kids on film for myself and make my own conclusions.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is why when GT fans like to pull up Gailey's recruiting rankings and compare it to Johnson's as a defense for CPJ's recruiting, it's kinda misleading. GT recruiting interest didn't take off really until around the mid 2000's, so there really wasn't a big fanbase to scream about a kid's rating. Hence why Gailey had a bunch of NR recruits early. NR recruits are pretty much a rarity these days with high major schools. Most high major commits pretty much get moved from NR to 2 stars after they commit to those schools.

http://georgiatech.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=8&yr=2002
http://georgiatech.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=8&yr=2003

What Gailey had was a few classes (3 I believe) that ranked in the top 20 AFTER the recruits careers were over.

BTW...that 2003 class ended up being a top 10 class re-ranked.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/615853.html

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Reminds me of an article I read a few years back that referenced an assistant coach (for USCe?) that said all you needed to do was to know who to call to adjust the stars up and down.

Correct. He got Chris Culliver moved from a 3* to a 5* and the #19 player in the nation on Rivals.