It's fine for you and me to use all the resources available to make our minds up on kids, but the services are one of the so-called "experts" in the field. They are not supposed to do it. Period. Your analogy just fell to pieces.
Actually, the services probably do employ some competent evaluators. They probably get it right, for the most part, with the upper 10 to 15% of recruits. It's the other 85% where it's a total crap shoot. Also, they evaluate the quality of kid now, not how they project in the future. They also don't project them for specific styles of play, like ours, for instance.
Our coaches evaluate based on current factors, but also on how they project 3+ years down the road. That's why you see coaches excited about lanky guys with "big frames" with room to grow. Our coaches also evaluate based on how they fit the specific roles they'll play at GT. Justin Thomas is a huge example of this. He did not fit qb at Bama but he does fit qb here. If everybody in the nation ran our offense, he would have been a 5* qb prospect and we never would have sniffed him.
Right...recruiting evaluators should live in a bubble and not talk to college coaches or see demand from major colleges as a sign of a kid's potental. Get real, you are making it very apparent you don't understand how scouting and evaluating work. The analogy doesn't work for you because it doesn't fit your agenda.
Listen, our coaches have a long track record now. I would take your 3rd paragraph more seriously if GT wasn't barely over 0.500 with the kids they recruited. Sorry, man, just how I feel.
BTW...your Justin Thomas example, the guy you hold as someone who typifies the BS recruiting services...well, he was a 4 star. You just made your own analogy fall to pieces. And let's pretend he's actually played enough to even make the judgement on how badly the recruiting raters "missed" on his 4 stars...