Recruiting: Anything we can learn from.....

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Vandy?? They look very much like 'the Duke of the SEC' and have almost always had difficulty recruiting football players against their state university rival, but as of a few minutes ago, Scout had them ranked #20. Ten commits: five 4-star, five 3-star, all top 100 players at their positions (from #6 to #79). Did their athletic director find a way to clone James Franklin or what?

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Vandy?? They look very much like 'the Duke of the SEC' and have almost always had difficulty recruiting football players against their state university rival, but as of a few minutes ago, Scout had them ranked #20. Ten commits: five 4-star, five 3-star, all top 100 players at their positions (from #6 to #79). Did their athletic director find a way to clone James Franklin or what?

Dunno how much we can learn from them, Vandy has as many majors as you can think of while Tech is very limited in majors. Biggest downfall for tech recruiting by a long shot is that we don't have many "easy" majors for players to pick from.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The Peabody School at Vandy offers a separate track for, among others, athletes and legacies.
Guys, I'm aware of our curriculum limitations; however, Vandy's still gotta be doing some things very right to achieve this level of success against the factories. What are those things? I'm just suggesting that we try to learn from others' success wherever possible.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
i appreciate the never ending quest to get better....but.....it's hard to ignore the fact we have destroyed Vandy head to head and likewise had significantly greater on field success. Recruiting is by no means an exact science and subsequently, neither are rankings.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'll worry more about Vandy recruiting when we start losing head to head with them on recruits.

As to original question though, there is always potential to learn from others. Maybe they are doing something different this year, maybe players are avoiding Tenn for a reason, maybe it's an anomaly, maybe they are over rated, maybe there is a bag man.

If they are doing something cool / cutting edge, it will be noted in social media.

I think we have been out recruiting them for some time however and especially the last 3 years.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Folks one very big thing (among others) that Vandy has going for it is Nashville. Unless you've spent time there and really gotten to know the city you can't believe how much it appeals to young people. It is the best music (not just country) scene in the U.S. other than maybe L.A. or Austin. Lots of very pretty women on campus and surrounding and, yes, about 3 times the degrees options that Tech has. I've never understood what Vandy has been so hard to recruit to and finally James Franklin showed it can be done.

Well first on 247 we are 60, and Georgie is 65. Also they are showing us with 7 recruits. Second, on recruiting ranking, first of all then number of recruits affects your rankings so it is a bit silly to look at rankings right now. Miami is near the top nut they have 18 so far. Third, rating 18-19 year old kids playing against guys who will never play another down in football, really. Some of these guys are already fully developed where others are still physically growing.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Wait, did you just I just read Nashville music is the best in the US?!?! Lol

I promise you, you'll find one of the most diverse music scenes you could ask for in Nashville :) My step daughter grew up on ALL kinds of music and absolutely rates Nashville #1 with L.A. and Atl a close 2nd, Austin #3

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
ATL still > Nashvegas.
the elephant in the room is still it's the SEC and as long as national media continues to service that league, those three letters will carry weight with top recruits. There are outliers - Mizzou's recruiting, I believe, has not been to the standards of its league brethren, but there are likely extenuating circumstances there.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My reason for asking the question is that so far this recruiting season Vandy is an outlier. If we had this class so far, people on this board would be turning back flips. With the exception of the Franklin years, they haven't done much recently.... which is precisely the point. And they didn't just relocate to Nashville.