Recruit poaching due to HC change @ GT

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think a LOT of local kids are waiting to see who GT will bring in. TStan really needs to do his homework or else this could set us back for a bit.

I would like to think this, but reality tells me different. I believe (this is my opinion based on anecdotal evidence) that for the most part, Tech is irrelevant to local kids. With UGA rising, it's the hot program. It's the same in Alabama. Auburn was considered an option for a long time, but now ... with Saban at Bama, Auburn has retreated to a few of the major cities and some strongholds. It has really dropped off the map compared to what it used to be. (If they start winning again, different story.)

Dodd opined that Tech has to own Atlanta, the high schools in the metro area. That drives attendance, the fanbase, etc. National recruiting is great, but the moms and dads won't be there, so not a big impact on attendance. (Dodd was partially paid on the gate attendance so this mattered a lot.)

I do believe that CPJ was/is a very good coach. But I think we will benefit from a younger coach who has the stamina to run all the facets of the program that need to be run and foremost, develop a strategy for talent acquisition and development. I feel there isn't one.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think there will be much of an impact at all. These recruits are interested in GT in part because they want a degree from an excellent school. That does not change with CPJ's departure. That said, what can have an impact is if the new head coach makes a wholesale change in the coaching staff. For example, if all the current offensive coaches are dismissed, then that may cause some recruits to go elsewhere because now they no longer have any sort of a relationship with the coaches they'll be playing for.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Right, all I said was that sidewalks don't have direct personal experience, not that they can't surmise what it is like. I don't even think that's a bad thing. Outside perspective is a good thing, but so is understanding the context of how things actually are.
That's fair and I agree.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t go to Tech. Had to drop out of college to take care of my daughter I had at 19. I now make 250k+ a year. I hate when people start bringing out the “If you didn’t go to Tech” ****.
Who in this thread said you can’t make money if you didn’t go to Tech? That was never said.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
See post above. Again, if you do not want to see my posts, Gold1, then please choose ignore. I appreciate all of our fans, but to understand GT, you would have to have direct experience with it, and also experience with other schools. For example, Indiana University accepted me into their graduate business school (considered one of the best in the world), but they thought that was a big deal - it was child's play compared to GT. GT is painful to a level that only those that attended and did not make it OR those that got out fully understand. It is like your parents telling you something versus you having to experience it yourself to learn. I would not understand if I had not gone there either, but I probably would think I understood.
The Tech experience has to be lived to be understood. I'm a lifelong Tech fan going back to the Eddie Lee Ivery years... It was a major dream of mine to attend Tech and maybe play ball there one day (the 2nd didn't happen). Tech was indeed painful. When I finally got there, it was actually more difficult than being in the Army -- albeit the peacetime Army. I was on the verge of failing out a couple times. I dropped out after a couple years and had the chance to attend a university in Germany, having been accepted into the Studienkolleg at the University of Essen. If it weren't for the six-month waiting list for student housing due to all the upheaval in eastern Europe, I would likely have a degree from there instead of Tech.

I returned to the States, re-enrolled at Tech and managed to get out by the skin of my teeth. What I'm getting at is that going to Tech was a major childhood dream of mine, yet those years were some of the hardest and worst of my life... though it did get better towards the end. The thrill of 1990 only felt like a tiny ray of sunshine at the time. The Institute is not for everybody. Some fare better than others there. I probably wasn't cut out for it. It's definitely a character-shaping place, and I think as more years pass by, the fonder I am of the experience!

- BTW, sidewalk fans are great, and should anyone forget, the majority of Tech fans from the Bobby Dodd to at least the Pepper Rodgers era were sidewalk fans... Look at films from the '70s when Tech played UGA at Sanford, and it seemed half the stadium was gold or white.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Who in this thread said you can’t make money if you didn’t go to Tech? That was never said.
Me! I respect everyone that was able to make into/our of Tech but I hate the hell out of the I’m better than you, I’m a better fan, look down at you for being a sidewalk fan attitude. I’m not saying you personally, just past experiences with a good majority of Tech grads. I respect the hell out of anyone to make it at a school like GT but the you can’t possibly be better than me stuff is old. We’re a school that needs more “sidewalk” fans. Not run them off with the holier than thou attitude. Again. Not a shot at you. Just venting on past experiences.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t go to Tech. Had to drop out of college to take care of my daughter I had at 19. I now make 250k+ a year. I hate when people start bringing out the “If you didn’t go to Tech” ****.

If you did NOT go to GT, AND you're making that much...bravo! You did it the right way because you didn't have to go through hell (at least academically) to achieve that level of income. I can tell you a lot of GT grads went through hell and aren't making that much.

I can also tell you from being a GT fan and a ticket season holder since I graduated Ma Tech, the GT snobbery isn't just limited to sidewalk fans. I've witnessed a LOT of GT on GT snobbery. Honestly, it's pretty funny to witness because seriously, anyone who needs to act like a snob just because they graduated from a certain school probably has some issues with themselves.

FullMetalBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I really despise the attitude carried by AlabamaBuzz and others in this thread. This “secret experience” that only Tech grads can understand is just gatekeeping and bullying others into silence.

The fact is that technical fields are extremely difficult and demanding of time at Tech but there are plenty of majors that are not. A management or social science or STaC program at Tech is absolutely comparable to any other top 40 school. If other Top 40 schools like Notre Dame and Southern Cal and Michigan can run consistently successful programs then there is no reason we can’t regularly be in the top 25.

And before you ask, CS ‘06.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I really despise the attitude carried by AlabamaBuzz and others in this thread. This “secret experience” that only Tech grads can understand is just gatekeeping and bullying others into silence.

The fact is that technical fields are extremely difficult and demanding of time at Tech but there are plenty of majors that are not. A management or social science or STaC program at Tech is absolutely comparable to any other top 40 school. If other Top 40 schools like Notre Dame and Southern Cal and Michigan can run consistently successful programs then there is no reason we can’t regularly be in the top 25.

The experience of my coworkers that went to UW, Stanford, Michigan, and Harvard all sound independently different. I know they were all rigorous, but none are the same. That’s all I’ve said, and I still think that’s accurate. I don’t think it’s gate keeping to say something is different.

As for the ND, Stanford, USC comparison; at the end of the day, if a recruit wants to be a journalism major, we aren’t going to get him. We can and should compete for all STEM student athletes, but trying to compete against other top schools that offer top Liber Arts programs makes it very difficult, which is why we need to increase our recruiting budge to better get the kids who would come to Tech.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
The experience of my coworkers that went to UW, Stanford, Michigan, and Harvard all sound independently different. I know they were all rigorous, but none are the same. That’s all I’ve said, and I still think that’s accurate. I don’t think it’s gate keeping to say something is different.

As for the ND, Stanford, USC comparison; at the end of the day, if a recruit wants to be a journalism major, we aren’t going to get him. We can and should compete for all STEM student athletes, but trying to compete against other top schools that offer top Liber Arts programs makes it very difficult, which is why we need to increase our recruiting budge to better get the kids who would come to Tech.
Yep. It is not just how rigorous Tech is, it is the limited number of majors.

michjacket

Georgia Tech Fan

I can't let that go unchecked. Here is an article on Ohio State mocking the majors of Michigan football players:

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-f...tball-players-with-sign-at-football-facility/

Listed below is their majors. How do we compete with that?

Afro-American and African Studies (4) - Ricky Barnum, Brandin Hawthorne, Vincent Smith, Fitzgerald Toussaint

Brain, Behavior, and Cognitive Science (1)
- Brandon Moore

Communication (1)
- Patrick Omameh (dual)

General Studies (20)
- Isaiah Bell, William Campbell, Michael Cox, Kenny Demens, J.T. Floyd, Brendan Gibbons, Cam Gordon, Junior Hemingway, Brandon Herron, Mike Jones, Taylor Lewan, Mike Martin, Elliott Mealer, Martavious Odoms, Denard Robinson, Roy Roundtree, Michael Shaw, Quinton Washington, Steve Watson, Troy Woolfolk

Movement Science (3)
- Drew Dileo, Thomas Gordon, Jordan Kovacs

Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (1)
- Mark Huyge

Physical Education (1)
- Michael Schofield

Political Science (1)
- Rocko Khoury

Sociology (4)
- Jeremy Gallon, Patrick Omameh (dual), Terrence Robinson, Ryan Van Bergen

Sport Management (9)
- J.B. Fitzgerald, Will Heininger, Stephen Hopkins, Jeremy Jackson, Kevin Koger, David Molk, Jerald Robinson, Marvin Robinson, Craig Roh

Undeclared (27)*
- Richard Ash, Courtney Avery, Russell Bellomy, Brennen Beyer, Jibreel Black, Chris Bryant, Tamani Carter, Frank Clark, Blake Countess, Joshua Furman, Devin Gardner, Will Hagerup, Justice Hayes, Keith Heitzman, Delonte Hollowell, Jack Miller, Ricardo Miller, Desmond Morgan, Jordan Paskorz, Antonio Poole, Thomas Rawls, Chris Rock, Jake Ryan, Terrence Talbott, Raymon Taylor, Matt Wile, Ken Wilkins

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Me! I respect everyone that was able to make into/our of Tech but I hate the hell out of the I’m better than you, I’m a better fan, look down at you for being a sidewalk fan attitude. I’m not saying you personally, just past experiences with a good majority of Tech grads. I respect the hell out of anyone to make it at a school like GT but the you can’t possibly be better than me stuff is old. We’re a school that needs more “sidewalk” fans. Not run them off with the holier than thou attitude. Again. Not a shot at you. Just venting on past experiences.
Great Post. I’m an alum and it drives me nuts the elitist attitude some GT folks have. As I said in the coaching thread, a “GT Man” doesn’t have to be an alum. It’s about character. You my friend have it. I can tell from your posts as we share a lot of the same views. Glad you are a fan. We need thousands more like you. You are a GT man!

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
See post above. Again, if you do not want to see my posts, Gold1, then please choose ignore. I appreciate all of our fans, but to understand GT, you would have to have direct experience with it, and also experience with other schools. For example, Indiana University accepted me into their graduate business school (considered one of the best in the world), but they thought that was a big deal - it was child's play compared to GT. GT is painful to a level that only those that attended and did not make it OR those that got out fully understand. It is like your parents telling you something versus you having to experience it yourself to learn. I would not understand if I had not gone there either, but I probably would think I understood.
I have a unique perspective on this, as I attended three different schools. The first being a junior college to play baseball, then Clemson, and finally Tech. I can tell you, I was in for a rude awakening when I finally got into Tech. I did ok in junior college academic wise. I schedule the easiest classes to make time for baseball, so I didn't get what I needed to transfer into Tech. I went to Clemson to do that, came out of there with a 4.0. Thought I would come into Tech and do the same, not a lot of studying, just understand the material and I'll be fine. After getting a C in INTRO (!) to AE, and a D in Physics II, I realized I was in for a battle. I earned every passing grade through spending countless hours and nights in the library (with the help of study friends). I do not know how the folks played football and kept on the track to graduate. Both Sean Bedford and walk on achieved a degree in AE while playing. Absolutely insane.

But I do agree with many of the posters above. I welcome anyone that wants to be a fan. Lord knows we need them. I do not feel that I am better than any of them because of what I experienced in my time at Tech. I can guarantee I am not smarter than most of them, probably just more stubborn. I refused to fail like so many of the other folks in my major, and a am driven to never let that happen.

Last edited:

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
As someone who didn’t go to Tech, I can agree with this sentiment. Just want to point out that what comes across as condescension isn’t always that. There are those like that for sure, but many times it isn’t about being better than someone, but about having been in the foxhole.

I’ve been a lifelong sidewalk fan, and probably have my junior jacket club shirts somewhere, tucked away. But it wasn’t until I met my wife , who went to Tech, that I really understood what we are up against in athletics.