Reason for Roof

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
A lot of times I have thoughts but don't make a new thread about them, but I'm finding myself extraordinarily bored and craving off-season football discussion the last few days, so...

I was thinking a lot about Ted Roof. The resurrected "Is ROOF the problem?" thread made those thoughts jump to the front of the line.

My first reaction to the Roof hire was "Oh God". But, after that initial emotional, unresearched response, I started warming up to the idea. Reasons being...
1. He's a Tech man, so he's here for all of the right reasons.
2. He's a big recruiting asset.
3. He did well at PSU.
4. He actually did have a good defense here after the terrible '99 season.
5. He improved the really bad defenses at Duke and Minnesota significantly from one year to the next.

But, the main reason I've found a lot of long term hope in him over the last few days is thinking about how his former colleagues feel about him. George O'leary was his former boss here. HE WANTED ROOF to be his DC. Bill O'brien was his former colleague as the OC while Roof was the DC here. He could've probably gotten most anybody he wanted at a place like PSU with their tradition and history of great defense and lots of money, and HE WANTED ROOF to be his DC. To me that speaks volumes. These guys have worked with lots of other defensive coaches and have connections all over the profession at all levels. If you've worked with the guy and seen what kind of man he is and what kind of job he does and you want that guy to be your guy, there can be no greater compliment than that.

Does that mean Roof is going to be successful here? No, but I think it does mean that my initial reaction was complete ignorance and that it's likely that our success will not be hindered by something lacking in his ability/work ethic/etc. It probably also means that we got a steal in the coaching profession because this is his home. I'm feeling good about it.

Last edited:

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I think you present a very reasoned response on the matter. I have always been a Ted Roof fan. Both as a player and as a Coach he has demonstrated the grit and determination necessary to accomplish the task at hand. I used to catch all kinds of grief for mentioning Ted as a potential Head Coach at Tech to replace O'Leary and then Gailey. I like Coach Johnson and want him to succeed and with Ted on board, I think we will see some significant improvement in the defense and the overall team over the next few years. I would still like to see Ted as the head man when the right time comes along.

Go Jackets!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Wow. He was horrible as a head coach at Duke. I like him as DC.
Who isn't horrible as a HC at Duke? Cutcliffe can't even get over the hump there. I do painfully remember a Roof-led Duke kicking the crap out of a Gailey-led GT (not even a close game) a few years ago. That was the only Duke team to do that to us in my memory.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
One thing about CTR if the defense doesn't improve it won't because he was outworked by any opposing OC nor due to a lack of putting his heart and soul into the D.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Who isn't horrible as a HC at Duke? Cutcliffe can't even get over the hump there. I do painfully remember a Roof-led Duke kicking the crap out of a Gailey-led GT (not even a close game) a few years ago. That was the only Duke team to do that to us in my memory.

C'mon man. He was 6 and 45. He averaged less than 2 wins a season as a head coach. Cutcliffe has won at least 3 each year and had three seasons with at least 4 wins.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Extreme example perhaps but Bill Belichick wasn't exactly a great HC when he was with the Browns and like Roof he was a good DC. Now on Belichick's second stint as a HC, I think we can all say he's doing rather ok to put it mildly.

Not saying Roof will become a HOF HC. Just saying, that just because the 1st stint didn't go too well (Browns or Duke) doesn't mean the 2nd stint will go bad as well.