Reason for Optimism

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Did you see their bowl game? Good we played them when we did and in the weather conditions we did because if we had played the NC team that dominated Cincy, we would have lost.
Also, think the QB who drove the bowl win is coming back. They always recruit well and have talent. Previous coaching regimes haven't gotten all they could out of what they had - like Rev. Richt - but I think Fedora and staff may. Can't wait to line 'em up and see.
Was Cincy expected to beat UNC or something? Only player that stood out to me was Switzer. I thought UNC played as well as they were expected to.

I really don't know why you would dismiss our win against them so easily. We had to play them in the same weather conditions that they had to play us.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
UNC certainly turned things around except for the Duke game. The offense worries me, this coming year. The defense still has no clue how to play us.

We should never be afraid of UNC. They're in the same class as UGA and Clemson in terms of wasting talent. Fedora and his staff are better than Butch n' them but that's not saying much.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I really don't know why you would dismiss our win against them so easily. We had to play them in the same weather conditions that they had to play us.
Nearly every GT win against any program of note has a big asterisk next to it. That's so nobody gets confused that it's a bonafide win.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So true...blows my mind. It is always "well if they didnt have so and so hurt, or if the weather wasnt this way, or if the coach would have done this, etc"

A win is a win is a win.

I've seen the opposite of that as well. "Well, if Duke had to play Miami with Duke Johnson like GT had to...."

I agree, it's dumb. You play who they put in front of you. Period.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
One thing is constant from the past ten or so years...........we love to in third and long give guys ten to fifteen yds cushion and then we wonder why qb completes the pass.I said same thing when GOL up To PJ .....one day would like to see a decent pass defense from backside guys and a strong pass rush from guys up front. I may be 88 yrs old when I see if but its clear we have not put enough pressure on the passer..........maybe tis the yr !

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
A positive post from ATL1?

giphy.gif

Just got back to the keyboard after going to the freezer to get ice to put on the bump on my I had from passing out in shock! :p

Love the post ATL1

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Losing Robbie and Jerry (our only 2 playmakers on the team) is going to hurt a lot, but I do like what we have next year.

GTDawgWrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
I continue to think we will be better on O next year but fear we will regress on D (purely for lack of pass rush)
I doubt a true frosh will come in and win the Bback spot....would be great but I doubt it.
We will line the guys up and I'll yell like hell again for em next year.

Gotsis will be even a bigger beast next year! Taking most the double team. If F Kallon can get his war face together he has potential to be better than Jerry. Custis will be a 19 year old fresh and he is a stud. Before he had academic issues they talked as if he as going to compete for playing time last year. I trust Roof and Pelton will get the job done again. As long as they do better than Groh again and the offense gets back to clicking we will definitely be better.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One comment on Devine.
It doesn't matter much if he's in shape. He's lost weight this year, but Coach said that the reason he didn't play is that he had a slight knee injury and by the time he was cleared it was too late. Still, he almost saw the field late in the season.
The reason I say being in shape for him doesn't matter much is his feet and his sheer size. You can't bull rush him; he just stands there. It's hard to get around him; he just moves his feet. And he doesn't really need to get his pads down; he just runs into you and pushes. It's like seeing the reincarnation of Sherman Plunkett. What one of the NFL DLs said about him applies to Devine: "It's like trying to get around a 350 pound dancing marshmallow."
Mind, he'll probably be the better for losing a little weight, but I think he starts next year, easy.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
GSU will be a big win, hate to say that but they haven't been a push over against FBS schools. There will prob be alot of pressure not to lose to them and we don't do very well under must win situations

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
New QBs and running the option better means nothing vs. the better teams we play, what we need is a legit passing component to keep defenses honest.

Playing weak teams balance doesn't mean much but vs. good/great teams it means a lot.

Justin's passing leaves a lot to be desired.

We will take a big step back next yr. and that puts a lot more pressure on a defense with a lot of noobs playing.

We don't even know if Devine will be in good enough shape to be a factor next year, he's didn't look real lean on the sidelines at the Bowl Game.

--I just watched the clem/osu game.Their QBs were almost killed and they weigh 225lbs--I can't see JT lasting 3 games vs good teams in our option offense in which he gets hit almost EVERY play.Byerly may end up being the most important man on team.
-- in this bizarro world our WRs seems maybe to be the best position for improvement. hmmm
--if Sewak is still responsible for this now-young Oline-woe to us

One comment on Devine.
It doesn't matter much if he's in shape. He's lost weight this year, but Coach said that the reason he didn't play is that he had a slight knee injury and by the time he was cleared it was too late. Still, he almost saw the field late in the season.
The reason I say being in shape for him doesn't matter much is his feet and his sheer size. You can't bull rush him; he just stands there. It's hard to get around him; he just moves his feet. And he doesn't really need to get his pads down; he just runs into you and pushes. It's like seeing the reincarnation of Sherman Plunkett. What one of the NFL DLs said about him applies to Devine: "It's like trying to get around a 350 pound dancing marshmallow."
Mind, he'll probably be the better for losing a little weight, but I think he starts next year, easy.

If out-of-shape guys can start that easily for GT FB then our program really is in trouble.

Devine's Sr. year in HS he got handled pretty well which is why he dropped from 4* to 3*, there's no way that being out of shape can help on the BCS level.

Did you see how the big, athletic, OLs looked for OU when they played Bama in the Sugar Bowl, we need big athletic guys that can move people and control Dlinemen, not big out-of-shape guys that simply lean on people.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If out-of-shape guys can start that easily for GT FB then our program really is in trouble.

Devine's Sr. year in HS he got handled pretty well which is why he dropped from 4* to 3*, there's no way that being out of shape can help on the BCS level.

Did you see how the big, athletic, OLs looked for OU when they played Bama in the Sugar Bowl, we need big athletic guys that can move people and control Dlinemen, not big out-of-shape guys that simply lean on people.

Devine was hurt by an ankle injury I believe.