Reason for Optimism

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about that. They are losing a ton of key players on both offense and defense (Renner, Ebron, Hurst, Martin, Jackson, Price, Boston). These guys were highly recruited players from Butch Davis era.
Yep good thing is we have their number but again they had outstanding class coming in and my friend..........one day they are going to get coaching hitched up to athletes and we and others are in for a long day..

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly I think the bigger and hopefully better more consistent OLine play is the greatest need and determining factor for how well the offense runs. A lot will depend on them first.
I doubt Oreiley wins the job over burden, unless he's uber slow coming off the knee injury. Why do you think the offensive line is going to be more consistent AfTer loosing three seniors?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Yep good thing is we have their number but again they had outstanding class coming in and my friend..........one day they are going to get coaching hitched up to athletes and we and others are in for a long day..
I don't see Fedora recruiting as well as Butch Davis did. Davis was constantly bringing in top 10 recruiting classes according to Rivals/Scout.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is the ATL1 I love to follow. Great talking points! Thanks.

It can't be all bad all the time. I have some serious concerns but there is reason for optimism.

Linebacker will be a good deep position as well. Only losing Watts but PJ and Beau will be battling for snaps. Harrell will be coming off injury but he will be back as well. Quality depth at this position.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I doubt Oreiley wins the job over burden, unless he's uber slow coming off the knee injury. Why do you think the offensive line is going to be more consistent AfTer loosing three seniors?

Well considering we witnessed those three seniors play so inconsistently, were often injured, and have disappointed I figure it will be an improvement. O'Reilly got a lot of quality snaps last year and was listed 2nd on the depth chart. Burden has not played a down and is coming off knee injury.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Fedora recruiting as well as Butch Davis did. Davis was constantly bringing in top 10 recruiting classes according to Rivals/Scout.
You are probably right but when you see how they are doing vs ...us its not that cheery ! One day they will figure out how to use those guys and we are in trouble.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not optimistic, but I can see that a change in quarterbacks might have a good effect on the whole system. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, it has happened a lot of places and Tech is not immune to players not giving their best becasue they have no confidence in their leader on offense or defense. The offensive line may play better if they like they like and have confidence in the quarterback. A lineman might not get through to the new quarterback that was allowed to get through to the last quarterback; it definitely happens. So, it is possible the offense will be better overall next year.

The defense is still a problem with 3rd and long and open field tackling. This is direct result of poor techniques which is directly proportional to the defensive coaching. Also, the Achilles Heel of our defense, the completions for first down on 3rd and long is directly proportional to our coaching of letting the DB's play the receivers to loosely. It has absolutely nothing to do with the pass rush. In fact, I assure you that there will be more sacks on 3rd down if the DB's and LB's play in front of the receivers on 3rd and long instead of giving them a big cushion. The quarterback cannot get his short passes off for first down, and the extra few seconds allows the pass rushers to make a sack. Also, the interceptions will increase which will offset the occasonal TD over the DB's head due to his aggressiveness. That in itself is not bad. Even if the opposition scores on the play, it is better because the offense has more time when they get the ball on the kickoff. We have been letting the opposition control the time of possession by making the 3rd and longs and making long drives for scores.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, the Achilles Heel of our defense, the completions for first down on 3rd and long is directly proportional to our coaching of letting the DB's play the receivers to loosely.

Way too much cushion, frustrating to watch, liked the play of DJ White though. Dude actually presses better than our senior and looks for the ball in the air.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Reason for Optimism.

Cheers, ATL1.

cpj kool aid.png

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see more " bump and run" from the DB's. I'm not sure we have the cover ability to get this done, but it would definitely squelch some of the dink and dunk stuff. D. J. White looks to be a pretty good cover guy (if he doesn't bite on the fake), but I'm not sure about the other side now that Jemea is gone. I'd like to see more press coverage with help over the top.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see more " bump and run" from the DB's. I'm not sure we have the cover ability to get this done, but it would definitely squelch some of the dink and dunk stuff. D. J. White looks to be a pretty good cover guy (if he doesn't bite on the fake), but I'm not sure about the other side now that Jemea is gone. I'd like to see more press coverage with help over the top.

Actually Jemea was playing the nickel most of the time and Lou Young was the CB opposite DJ. Either way you are correct it will be interesting to see who steps up on that side. And I also would like to see more bump and run as well, sir.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I continue to think we will be better on O next year but fear we will regress on D (purely for lack of pass rush)
I doubt a true frosh will come in and win the Bback spot....would be great but I doubt it.
We will line the guys up and I'll yell like hell again for em next year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the original post as well, Johnson is going to be coaching for his job next year hopefully he pulls out all the stops, our OL can only get better, Roofs defense should hopefully be better year two.

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
Not sure about that. They are losing a ton of key players on both offense and defense (Renner, Ebron, Hurst, Martin, Jackson, Price, Boston). These guys were highly recruited players from Butch Davis era.

Did you see their bowl game? Good we played them when we did and in the weather conditions we did because if we had played the NC team that dominated Cincy, we would have lost.
Also, think the QB who drove the bowl win is coming back. They always recruit well and have talent. Previous coaching regimes haven't gotten all they could out of what they had - like Rev. Richt - but I think Fedora and staff may. Can't wait to line 'em up and see.

I agree with the original post as well, Johnson is going to be coaching for his job next year hopefully he pulls out all the stops, our OL can only get better, Roofs defense should hopefully be better year two.

In 2010 many thought the same thing, and back then those back-ups didn't pan out.

Our defense is losing 3/4 of our DL and both outside pass-rushers.

Our DC didn't rotate players because he didn't trust the back-ups and this led to our D getting gassed quite a bit this season, please tell me why the back-ups that could not be trusted this year will be better next year than this year's Sr-laden Defense?

Even if our OL get s better, we lose Sims, Godhigh, and Vad.

All college teams are working hard in S&C programs, so our players aren't the only ones "getting better", but it is my general rule of thumb, that if the starter is not that good (average) and the back-ups can't get rotated in for whatever reason, then don't expect much the next season when those back-ups are forced into starting roles.

Next years's Defense will be populated by a bunch of players that could not even split PT with guys that are for the most part very average, according to my logic that doesn't lead to improvement.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC certainly turned things around except for the Duke game. The offense worries me, this coming year. The defense still has no clue how to play us.