Reason for Optimism

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
1. The Youth Movement.

A. New QB
It will be an open competition for the starting spot next season with JT in the lead. Mathew Jordan comes in to compete for the top spot along with Ty Griffin and Tim Byrley. I'm watching Jordan. Either way the new starter should have a better grasp of the option making the offense run smoother.

B. New Oline
Size Matters and GT line will finally get some beef as Shamire Devine will become a guard in the offense he'll sit right behind Shaq or even possibly upset Trey Braun. Chris Griffin should take over for Will Jackson as a RS Fr. Thomas O'Reilly will battle Fred Burden for the Center spot. A line up of Shaq, O'Reilly, & Shamire gives Tech 3 300+ lb's on the line for the first time in the CPJ era.

C. New Backs
Travis Custis will supplant the incumbent to become the starter giving us a legit home run threat at the position since Dwyer. Other player to watch Donovan Wilson.

2. The Return
Jamal Golden (follow that kid on Twitter very vocal & positive) and Isiah Johnson both return to bolster the secondary which now finds itself having some good depth and experience.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
A positive post from ATL1?

giphy.gif

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A positive post from ATL1?

It's like a unicorn riding over a rainbow. :joyful:

Seriously though, I agree with everything he wrote. I'd also add that CPJ will presumably get back to what he knows how to do instead of trying to patch together some random plays (I know it's not that simple).

1. The Youth Movement.

A. New QB
It will be an open competition for the starting spot next season with JT in the lead. Mathew Jordan comes in to compete for the top spot along with Ty Griffin and Tim Byrley. I'm watching Jordan. Either way the new starter should have a better grasp of the option making the offense run smoother.

B. New Oline
Size Matters and GT line will finally get some beef as Shamire Devine will become a guard in the offense he'll sit right behind Shaq or even possibly upset Trey Braun. Chris Griffin should take over for Will Jackson as a RS Fr. Thomas O'Reilly will battle Fred Burden for the Center spot. A line up of Shaq, O'Reilly, & Shamire gives Tech 3 300+ lb's on the line for the first time in the CPJ era.

C. New Backs
Travis Custis will supplant the incumbent to become the starter giving us a legit home run threat at the position since Dwyer. Other player to watch Donovan Wilson.

2. The Return
Jamal Golden (follow that kid on Twitter very vocal & positive) and Isiah Johnson both return to bolster the secondary which now finds itself having some good depth and experience.

New QBs and running the option better means nothing vs. the better teams we play, what we need is a legit passing component to keep defenses honest.

Playing weak teams balance doesn't mean much but vs. good/great teams it means a lot.

Justin's passing leaves a lot to be desired.

We will take a big step back next yr. and that puts a lot more pressure on a defense with a lot of noobs playing.

We don't even know if Devine will be in good enough shape to be a factor next year, he's didn't look real lean on the sidelines at the Bowl Game.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
New QBs and running the option better means nothing vs. the better teams we play, what we need is a legit passing component to keep defenses honest.

Playing weak teams balance doesn't mean much but vs. good/great teams it means a lot.

Justin's passing leaves a lot to be desired.

We will take a big step back next yr. and that puts a lot more pressure on a defense with a lot of noobs playing.

We don't even know if Devine will be in good enough shape to be a factor next year, he's didn't look real lean on the sidelines at the Bowl Game.

Well big daddy warmack from bama aint lean and it didnt hurt him. We dont need lean OL we need good ones and the body is what it is. He is good. If we have 5 good OL and they are all chubby and 325 i could care a less.

I am sure u would agree with that though. And hopefully his weight is not a detriment.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I think the bigger and hopefully better more consistent OLine play is the greatest need and determining factor for how well the offense runs. A lot will depend on them first.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well big daddy warmack from bama aint lean and it didnt hurt him. We dont need lean OL we need good ones and the body is what it is. He is good. If we have 5 good OL and they are all chubby and 325 i could care a less.

I am sure u would agree with that though. And hopefully his weight is not a detriment.

I'm officially in bizarro world. A positive post from 33jacket too? What's really going on? :LOL:

Just kidding guys.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I see Tech better next year .We play GSU,Tulane and another team next year so we start with three in a row.We get on the bandwagon and the kool aide flows but we have some problems to fix.Lee is gone I see and that may have a effect on a team since he is starting qb.Can we replace him sure we can but its serious that a starter and others are saying things about the team and the coach.I see us at 8 and four maybe not due to improvement but due to the fact we are playing lesser teams.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I see Tech better next year .We play GSU,Tulane and another team next year so we start with three in a row.We get on the bandwagon and the kool aide flows but we have some problems to fix.Lee is gone I see and that may have a effect on a team since he is starting qb.Can we replace him sure we can but its serious that a starter and others are saying things about the team and the coach.I see us at 8 and four maybe not due to improvement but due to the fact we are playing lesser teams.

You are correct Mack, there is no BYU to play next year, so 8-4 is my bare minimum. UNC will be a lot better however.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Another reason for optimism: Just about everyone else is in the same boat as us.
Clempson, Miami, UNC, Pitt, VT, and UGA will all have either new QB's or ones with limited experience. This at least evens the playing field a bit.

Honestly, Duke probably scares me the most of all the teams next year. They return most of their offense (losing only LG & RT with some big boys coming up). They lose a lot on defense, though (both DE's, DT, both CB's). And remember, defense wins... whatever.

I am not an insider, but I was not shocked by Vad's decision. He looked timid running the ball for the back half of the season and now we know why. In this offense, the QB has to be the aggressor. That is why Nesbitt did so great. I hate to say it, but Reggie Ball would have been one hell of a QB in this system. Come to think of it, Gailey was a great recruiter for the 3O. HA!

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I am cautiously optimistic as well. I am a big JT and hope he can surprise people with his. I have seen him make some decent throws but they are going to have to roll him out because he is so short. 7-6 is a great year for a team that couldn't run the option. Now maybe pj will be able to open his playbook.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I am cautiously optimistic as well. I am a big JT fan and hope he can surprise people with his arm. I have seen him make some decent throws but they are going to have to roll him out because he is so short. 7-6 is a great year for a team that couldn't run the option. Now maybe pj will be able to open his playbook.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think our offensive line will be consistent, but the new guys are much more talented and physically capable of executing our blocking scheme so even if they miss 9 times out of 10, that tenth will result in a big play.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I think the bigger and hopefully better more consistent OLine play is the greatest need and determining factor for how well the offense runs. A lot will depend on them first.
Said it all year long.We got great stats and the tv folks love us but we get 500 yds vs a AI team and then ..........151 vs Ole Miss .This tells me we are not getting it done on the o line and we had three four year starters.Of course Mike Sewak is the guy folks think is the culprit but doubt PJ will cut him loose.WE are determined to run this offense no matter what and that is fine but.......get me some players to run it .

Mack

Helluva Engineer
1. The Youth Movement.

A. New QB

B. New Oline

C. New Backs

2. The Return
I see this.Have to be better on both sides of the ball linewise.If we cant stop the run then we are back in the seven and five era but if we do then we should be better.QB not sure of due to size and no real game expierence but kid is athlete and that is a positive.A and B backs are okay and none is going to be great unless we get to the outside with the option.WR is strongpoint I think if we can get them the ball.Now number 1 problem is the inside or percived turmoil of the football team.Last time I saw this was JN lasat year and we didnt play well so losing Vad and now tweets by Bostic and JD make me wonder.My hope is we get some meat on the offensive line and go back to one on one blocking and blast guy off the ball.We do this and stop the run and we can be lot better.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
UNC will be a lot better however.
Not sure about that. They are losing a ton of key players on both offense and defense (Renner, Ebron, Hurst, Martin, Jackson, Price, Boston). These guys were highly recruited players from Butch Davis era.