Raw Efficiency, Points/Drive

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, the problem with any raw stats like total offense or scoring defense etc is that they don't account for strength of opposition. So, fans who use statistics should be smart enough to keep that caveat in mind before drawing conclusions.

When considering raw stats, I like PPD. I calculate it based only on scrimmage scores by an offense or allowed by a D. Run-back scores, whether from special teams or turnovers, are not counted. I count all TDs as 7pts and FGs as 3.

So, acknowledging that we have not played the stiffest competition, we are #6 in PPD offense (3.46 ppd) and #101 in PPD defense, (2.63 ppd allowed).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We are also #2 in 3rd Down Conversion (63.89%) and #102 in 3rd Down Conversion allowed (45.71%).

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
AE, look at you! We have this discussion every year, and I usually just wait for Football Outsiders to come up with their FEI stats. Where did you pull your numbers?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As AE says, you have to take into account the opposition. Let's wait till we have 6 games under our belts......... we haven't played our best game or our worst game of the year yet most likely.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
yeah so our D sucks...sounds about right; unlike prior years i have no complaints about the O up to now. Second half GASO the O didn't do its job, but they gave the damn team a 25 point lead too.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Okay, the problem with any raw stats like total offense or scoring defense etc is that they don't account for strength of opposition. So, fans who use statistics should be smart enough to keep that caveat in mind before drawing conclusions.

When considering raw stats, I like PPD. I calculate it based only on scrimmage scores by an offense or allowed by a D. Run-back scores, whether from special teams or turnovers, are not counted. I count all TDs as 7pts and FGs as 3.

So, acknowledging that we have not played the stiffest competition, we are #6 in PPD offense (3.46 ppd) and #101 in PPD defense, (2.63 ppd allowed).

Those two sets of numbers are the most important - especially for each individual game ( ;) ).

The so far this year makes me thing of the Atlanta Braves hitting. They are in the bottom 5 in runs scored. Pitching and fielding are both in the top 5 - 7. while they have a winning record, the lack of hitting/run scoring has all but killed the Braves chances this year.

That analogy is similar to GT football... The O is like the Braves' pitching and fielding, the D a bit too much like the Braves' offense.

Improve the performance on the D side of the ball and we're in the Top 25 regularly.