Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Average

Votes: 63 55.8%
  • Excells

Votes: 25 22.1%

• Total voters

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Just curious what the overall opinion of the GT fanbase was/is of Coach Lew. He seems to be a highly motivational speaker and strength coach with a big emphasis on individuals giving 110% and then some more. He maintains a pretty active role in social media and is active as a motivational speaker and has hardware for his accomplishments within his field which enhances his resume. Overall it seems the conditioning and strength of the team as a whole has improved. I wish we had access to hard data gains by position and individuals since his arrival that we could see gains/loss by position group etc. Lew is highly motivating to listen to and I enjoy reading his posts on Twitter, I would like to see the data to see the evidence of gains behind it. I imagine they’re there as well. I know from time to time the publish the bench reps 220+lbs (or whatever) it is that they judge eligible athletes who have declared for the draft to determine their strength status. I know there have been a significant increase in number of players who have drastically increased the overall number of reps for the bench press measurement. #Thoughts?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we're any stronger and I don't think our conditioning is better. Plus, we look slower. We looked fast because of Gibbs and Sims but other than them ... not so much.
I think he's vastly overrated. Makes great videos. Yippee.
Other than that ... not impressed in the least.
I have grown tired of the entire staff, from the top down, and to include our S&C coach.
Haven't seen any other program trying to pry him away, either.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Look at both sides of the line of scrimmage. Most all of our guys have the "modern day" length and size, but are they getting knocked off the ball? Do we seem to at least hold our own in the trenches? To me, that's where you see the most benefit of a good S&C coach.

Are our players performing at peak levels even in the 4th quarter, or do they seem to be winded? Are they getting stronger and faster every year? Are we seeing functional progression as opposed to nice instagram photos showing off their abs and biceps?

I really don't care what motivational speeches he gives on social media, or what words of wisdom videos gets the most likes or shares. Our S&C coach's primary job is to get our guys faster and stronger and more agile for the rigors of football. Everything else is secondary.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Average. I think we’re average with regards to size, strength and endurance. Definitely not elite. He could likely be replaced quickly but doesn’t need to be. Not the problem and not a solution.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just curious what the overall opinion of the GT fanbase was/is of Coach Lew. He seems to be a highly motivational speaker and strength coach with a big emphasis on individuals giving 110% and then some more. He maintains a pretty active role in social media and is active as a motivational speaker and has hardware for his accomplishments within his field which enhances his resume. Overall it seems the conditioning and strength of the team as a whole has improved. I wish we had access to hard data gains by position and individuals since his arrival that we could see gains/loss by position group etc. Lew is highly motivating to listen to and I enjoy reading his posts on Twitter, I would like to see the data to see the evidence of gains behind it. I imagine they’re there as well. I know from time to time the publish the bench reps 220+lbs (or whatever) it is that they judge eligible athletes who have declared for the draft to determine their strength status. I know there have been a significant increase in number of players who have drastically increased the overall number of reps for the bench press measurement. #Thoughts?

Nice post.

Chest reps are important, but only after u do all of your legs reps.
The real question is the HC really questioning everything. Sure lew has helped get ALL the players maxing effort in conditioning.

But are we really matching the metrics ( especially ol and dl) of other teams.

I would say this should get a deep dive by HC with outside help.

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
I see our guys getting hurt during the games vs all the time. I know sometimes it is inevitable, but we seem to be laying on the ground a ton more than our opponents. To me, that is all about lack of S & C and mental toughness. Injured and hurt are two totally different things.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I see our guys getting hurt during the games vs all the time. I know sometimes it is inevitable, but we seem to be laying on the ground a ton more than our opponents. To me, that is all about lack of S & C and mental toughness. Injured and hurt are two totally different things.
I think the “injuries” of players dropping to the ground for “cramps” is over played in today’s football as of late. Some of it has taken a bit of a turn towards the “dramatics of soccer with the healing spray” and the “injured player” get up and walks off the field. It has become more of a tactic for a stoppage strategy or a delay tactic to fake an injury/cramp instead of having to burn a time out to allow your team to adjust or sub players in and interrupt the momentum of the game. In fact, there have been times when it’s an obvious flop and wish the refs would penalize the offender with an unsportsmanlike penalty or delay of game. I wish the NCAA would take a hard look into making an adjustment to the rules only I am certain they could open themselves up to some type of liability suit if they made an incorrect judgment and a player suffered further injury or something (perhaps).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
From what I gathered, although it was limited, he was like CGC. He is a rah, rah type of coach- lots of sizzle, not much steak. I wondered if the extra muscle made slower, less flexible players even slower and less flexible. We certainly didn't seem to have much leg drive from our Ol or DL. Like most of the team , they came to Tech with skills they needed to improve and years later they had not gotten noticeably better. Sigh.....I rated him as average, which is definitely higher than I would rate his boss at this point.
As a program we cant afford average in SC . Imo, SC and ol coach have a big budget.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We seem to be doing better with injuries under him. Northern Illinois was a pretty big eye opener this year where our softness really showed. That's either physical or mental softness, or both. It is definitely concerning.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We get pushed around by everyone on both sides of the ball. We are soft. Either physically, mentally or both.
Brooks didn't get pushed around in the middle. He was stout and held his own. I specifically remember several highlighted clips by the commentators where they showed him not getting budged. Other than that, I'm not sure. I think much of our OL issues were technique and speed-related, not strength. That probably falls more in the mental than physical category you mentioned.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
If they are looking for help, this guy lives in Woodstock ;).

Attachments

• 930612A5-5E96-4DBA-ABA3-84B1CC0A8C71.png
    930612A5-5E96-4DBA-ABA3-84B1CC0A8C71.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 81

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Nice post.

Chest reps are important, but only after u do all of your legs reps.
The real question is the HC really questioning everything. Sure lew has helped get ALL the players maxing effort in conditioning.

But are we really matching the metrics ( especially ol and dl) of other teams.

I would say this should get a deep dive by HC with outside help.
Auburn Coach Bryan Harsin, after losing to UGA(g) 34-10, remarked how physical the Dawgs were compared to Auburn. Bigger, stronger, faster. And that conditioning was going to be a major part of the off season.