Rants and moderation discussion

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't care if it does any good. I don't care if it changes anything. And I don't care if it upsets family members or whoever. I tried the whole not paying attention last year. Didn't do me any good. So now you get to deal with my angry posts until gregory is canned. If that bothers you, then take the theme of this message to heart. I don't care.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't care if it does any good. I don't care if it changes anything. And I don't care if it upsets family members or whoever. I tried the whole not paying attention last year. Didn't do me any good. So now you get to deal with my angry posts until gregory is canned. If that bothers you, then take the theme of this message to heart. I don't care.
Thanks for the heads up on your planned commentary for the coming year.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

That is funny....You sound like a toddler who is angry..LOL

Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to ignore here. We already knew that you had nothing valuable to add, but thanks for making that known.

Maybe the squad will feed a nice big sloppy ****-sandwich next season. Nothing worse than a blow-hard with no real substance to what he is shouting.

You keep shouting about transfer quitting on their team...what are you doing? Please, go away.

Edited to add that we do have an ignore feature here - See ya!!

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to ignore here. We already knew that you had nothing valuable to add, but thanks for making that known.

Maybe the squad will feed a nice big sloppy ****-sandwich next season. Nothing worse than a blow-hard with no real substance to what he is shouting.

You keep shouting about transfer quitting on their team...what are you doing? Please, go away.

I have a firm belief that posting and commenting on a board like this should be done only if it's fun. The people who post here have a common interest in Georgia Tech sports. Most have been, or are currently, students or the parents of students. We have all expressed frustration and dismay with the basketball program as it currently stands. But this level of anger is best handled elsewhere.

Maybe a quick visit to see your pastor or priest will provide you with some other outlet to express whatever it is that keeps this level of anger inside. Gregory will be here next year and maybe beyond. That is not something your anger can change.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Man I'm a pretty (reluctant) negative nellie here so I somewhat understand how you feel. From a fan perspective, our outlook for the next coupla years is just plain bleak. Most people's response is to acknowledge and move on.

Just because guys aren't constantly deriding the coach, team, etc. doesn't mean they don't see the things you're seeing. They've just chosen to put it on the back burner and focus on the glimmers of light that flicker from time to time. I doubt you'll find anyone satisfied with where we are as a program except maybe @Peacone36 (;)). However, to constantly point out the shortcomings or to constantly call for dismissals is just counterproductive, especially understanding the situation ($) we're in.

For the sake of avoiding the absolutely toxic environment that became GT boards during the prior tenure, I think we all should censor ourselves. Not because the negatives aren't true but to do otherwise would most likely drag the whole board down unnecessarily. No one's saying you can't feel how you feel. I think they're just saying, "Dude, we know but we don't wanna keep hearing about it." or STTE.

Maybe we should have a vent thread.

gtzulu

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree with your sentiments, kg, but I think more what is needed than self-censoring and pretending things are OK, is a realization by the negative fans that success is actually possible, and to focus on that possibility, instead of the defeatism.

We didn't get Jaylen Brown but no school could have expected to. We did get Adam Smith, who is a Trae Golden caliber player who could maybe get us over the hump next year. Then, who knows, we could build excitement and get a Jaylen Brown in the next class.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
For the sake of avoiding the absolutely toxic environment that became GT boards during the prior tenure, I think we all should censor ourselves. Not because the negatives aren't true but to do otherwise would most likely drag the whole board down unnecessarily. No one's saying you can't feel how you feel. I think they're just saying, "Dude, we know but we don't wanna keep hearing about it." or STTE.

And I don't want to hear delusional posters spout nonsensical reasons and reaches to justify us maybe becoming a fringe bubble team. Nor do I want to hear the same old tired "good guy" and "does things the right way" rhetoric that will undoubtedly come back. We're both out of luck though. But no, i'm not going to censor myself in terms of content. Tried that. Didn't like it. Won't do it again.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

It's fine to be negative...I'm very negative toward Gregory and I think he's in over his head...but at least present some points and try to be rationale and not just troll threads and turn all of them into a fire Gregory thread...if you can't do that then just stay away from threads.

It does no good for us just to be negative and bash Gregory in every thread.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's fine to be negative...I'm very negative toward Gregory and I think he's in over his head...but at least present some points and try to be rationale and not just troll threads and turn all of them into a fire Gregory thread...if you can't do that then just stay away from threads.

Fwiw, I think @lv20gt began by responding to points with data plus emotional opinion and then had to face personal attack for his opinion.

Maybe you could have a "Kumbaya" thread tag for people who only want koolaid posts in their threads. Just my 2cents.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Fwiw, I think @lv20gt began by responding to points with data plus emotional opinion and then had to face personal attack for his opinion.

Maybe you could have a "Kumbaya" thread tag for people who only want koolaid posts in their threads. Just my 2cents.

I never said he didn't...I'm just saying going forward.

No thread needed like that...we're just not going to turn every thread into a bash BG thread.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

How did I not present points?

I presented a point about how many transfers we took vs normal recruits and how that is not the norm by any stretch of the imagination.
I presented a point about the relative low rankings our supposed core had coming out of highschool, with nothing in how they played to contradict them, or the low performance last year.
I presented the point that gregory has been bad at player development.
I presented a point about how a guy took a voluntary leave of absence in the middle of the season when confronted by his coach for his failure to comply to his responsibilities as a student athlete.
I presented the point about another guy who's transferred twice now, this time away from an increasingly crowded back court.

I presented plenty of points, and quite frankly, of those, the only one that is even slightly debatable is the reason for smith's transfer.

I didn't start "trolling" until I was basically told to sit down and shut up for the points I made and my opinion, which was a continuation of a discussion of anger that others started. And all of this in a topic about a recruit we've long sense been out of the running for, and already officially eliminated us prior to any post I made.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't care about tone unless the post is only tone, ie without a position and reasons for holding that position.

I don't think anyone should tell another that they're not welcome unless that person refuses to support and discuss their opinions while ridiculing the opinions of others.

Fwiw, I disagree with reducing our problem to talent, recruiting and development. We haven't finished well against good teams or weak teams. That suggests a big part of our problem is use of talent.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
How did I not present points?
What point are you presenting here? All I see is an angry rant. What do you think these types of posts add to this discussion?
The way I read the above was "I don't care if I piss other people off". If that was your point, I'm afraid you'd be better off not posting here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What point are you presenting here? All I see is an angry rant. What do you think these types of posts add to this discussion?

The way I read the above was "I don't care if I piss other people off". If that was your point, I'm afraid you'd be better off not posting here.

John, since you and @Eric have decided to respond to @lv20gt publicly in this thread, I was wondering if you could clarify the point you're making here. The first quote you snipped from him, "How did I not present points?" was a rhetorical question immediately followed up by his assertion of the points that he made. Are you saying that the one question is the rant or that having to repeat the points he offered after being accused of not offering points was the rant?

Secondly, I was wondering why the following quotes from within the same context were not similarly called out publicly by you and @Eric

Sounds like you just solved your problem then, crawl back into your hole until Gregory is canned because like it or hate it, you're stuck with him for at least another season.

Ask yourself a question, what good does sounding like an angry troll in everyone of your responses do for the situation? Nothing!!!! It's not going to change anything, and it certainly will not help.

I assume that you're a grown man, and you're sitting here going off on kids that bust their asses to provide us entertainment, saying they quit on their team and saying they have no business being here, when in reality you no idea why the kids have transferred.

Have an opinion all you want, but don't throw stones at the kids in the program. You really make yourself look like an ***. Despite how you really feel, there are some family members of the players on this board..carry yourself with a little humility.

They seem to be simply personal attacks from someone who didn't like hearing an opposing point of view.

Anyway, as I've said before, I love the site and I respect that y'all are doing your best in keeping it the best GT fan forum. I was just wondering, since yall went public here, if you clarify yall's thinking. Thanks.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
They seem to be simply personal attacks from someone who didn't like hearing an opposing point of view.
You're right, indeed that does look like a personal attack. @connell62 should know better.

Frankly, I think that we as mods are afraid to remove posts and send warnings because we're really tired of dealing with the whiney PMs we get from people complaining about how the world is so unfair that they got a warning and asking if XYZ got a warning too. So yes, aside from the fact that problem posts aren't being reported, all of us moderators are doing a horrible job (especially in the basketball forum). I will bring this up as a discussion point internally.

As far as this thread is concerned, this is so far off-topic I feel it's too late to cleanup and I certainly do not want to lock the thread.

Don't be surprised if I shift this entirely separate discussion out of this thread into its own dedicated thread later today.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You're right, indeed that does look like a personal attack. @connell62 should know better.

Frankly, I think that we as mods are afraid to remove posts and send warnings because we're really tired of dealing with the whiney PMs we get from people complaining about how the world is so unfair that they got a warning and asking if XYZ got a warning too. So yes, aside from the fact that problem posts aren't being reported, all of us moderators are doing a horrible job (especially in the basketball forum). I will bring this up as a discussion point internally.

As far as this thread is concerned, this is so far off-topic I feel it's too late to cleanup and I certainly do not want to lock the thread.

Don't be surprised if I shift this entirely separate discussion out of this thread into its own dedicated thread later today.

Fwiw, I don't think yall are doing a horrible job. I just didn't understand what point you were making and what was happening here. So, I asked. Thanks.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Edit: Sorry John, please feel free to move or delete this as well..

Yeah, I probably should have known better. I'm still trying to figure out how I personally attacked someone (sounds like some might need some thicker skin). I hope I didn't hurt your feelings AE, but since you took it upon yourself to call me out, I felt compelled to respond. I take a lot of exception when someone is casting stones at the young men that represent this program. I did not graduate from Georgia Tech, I am merely a fan, but I still understand the commitment of time and energy it requires for them to do what they do.

At the end of the day this is supposed to be fun for us. Peacone and I give each other hell, and I am sure that there are times he's cursed my name, but we have a common respect for one another. Despite his angst, he's never basically told everyone to screw off or that he didn't care if he pissed people off. I know for a fact that there are family members of players that post here, and I cannot imagine how upset I would be if I were in their shoes.

If you are cool with that type of stuff going on, then more power to you, but I would prefer to spend my time avoiding this place if that is what I'm going to see every other post.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Edit: Sorry John, please feel free to move or delete this as well..

Yeah, I probably should have known better. I'm still trying to figure out how I personally attacked someone (sounds like some might need some thicker skin). I hope I didn't hurt your feelings AE, but since you took it upon yourself to call me out, I felt compelled to respond. I take a lot of exception when someone is casting stones at the young men that represent this program. I did not graduate from Georgia Tech, I am merely a fan, but I still understand the commitment of time and energy it requires for them to do what they do.

At the end of the day this is supposed to be fun for us. Peacone and I give each other hell, and I am sure that there are times he's cursed my name, but we have a common respect for one another. Despite his angst, he's never basically told everyone to screw off or that he didn't care if he pissed people off. I know for a fact that there are family members of players that post here, and I cannot imagine how upset I would be if I were in their shoes.

If you are cool with that type of stuff going on, then more power to you, but I would prefer to spend my time avoiding this place if that is what I'm going to see every other post.

LOL. I didn't report anyone to the mods. Somebody apparently did. It seems that person has the thin skin. I just asked for clarification once the mods got involved in the thread.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

You see an angry rant in response to someone telling my to crawl back into a hole for expressing an opinion, along with supporting points, that might upset people. So yes, the point of that particular post is exactly that. I don't intend to piss people off, but I'm not going to censor myself to intentionally avoid doing so. And I extend that same line of thinking to others. Someone shouldn't censor an opinion because it might upset me.