Ranking the Top 100 College Football Teams for 2017: No. 40 Georgia Tech

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This means VT, Miami, Clemson, Tennessee, Georgia, and Pitt are ranked above GT. VT and Pitt should be close given the players they lost.

I want to read his Miami write up to better understand the hype. It sounds like they are returning great players and have a reload QB.

Clemson ranked higher is a no brained.

Georgia returns a lot and has star power. But, I am not sure what they have that keeps them in the top 25 given last years record.

A more proven GT defense would help move the needle on preseason talk.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Jax State w/4 days to prepare is scary. Certainly a trap game with us needing to knock off Vols on national stage Monday night before Saturday KO at 11:30 AM. We should be able to run on them but they seem to have a decent passing attack with talented QB. They open 8/26 with Chattanooga(gives them extra week start Fall camp?) and play us 2 weeks later. We are going to know a lot about our team in first two weeks. If our D doesn't regress, over past end of year we should be having a good year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Jax State w/4 days to prepare is scary. Certainly a trap game with us needing to knock off Vols on national stage Monday night before Saturday KO at 11:30 AM. We should be able to run on them but they seem to have a decent passing attack with talented QB. They open 8/26 with Chattanooga(gives them extra week start Fall camp?) and play us 2 weeks later. We are going to know a lot about our team in first two weeks. If our D doesn't regress, over past end of year we should be having a good year.
JSU will be tough but UCF is moreover a trap game and a season maker especially if we drop the opener to UT. Come out of that game 1-2 with Pitt and UNC and at Miami in a row and the wheels could fall off quick

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami has a good running game and returns almost everyone on one of the FEI 13th best overall defense. My computer formulas LOVED miami, but losing Kayaa will be big for their offense, but their defense this year is going to be scary when THEY RETURN THEIR ENTIRE TWO DEEP ON THEIR FRONT SEVEN!!! Defense wins championships, and they have a relatively good pull for their schedule, .

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This means VT, Miami, Clemson, Tennessee, Georgia, and Pitt are ranked above GT. VT and Pitt should be close given the players they lost.

I want to read his Miami write up to better understand the hype. It sounds like they are returning great players and have a reload QB.

Clemson ranked higher is a no brained.

Georgia returns a lot and has star power. But, I am not sure what they have that keeps them in the top 25 given last years record.

A more proven GT defense would help move the needle on preseason talk.

Funny, how it always seems to come down to defense. Play better defense then we can talk about division and conference championships with top 25 ranking. Don't play good defense, well its back to being the quaint team with the quirky throwback offense that everybody loves but does not really fear or respect that manages to get into some no name bowl and finish with a 40ish or so ranking. Don't get me wrong there are lots of teams that would trade places with us but is this sort of thing what we aspire to become? This is hallowed ground. The flats are inhabited by the ghosts of Dodd, Alexander, Heisman. Grant Field is where four national championships and Christ alone knows how many Southern Conference, SEC, and ACC championships have been won. Georgia Tech has been the home of Everette Struper, Indian Joe Guyon, Clint Castleberry, the Morris boys, Ray Beck, Lothridge, Billy Martin, Lenny Snow, Eddie Lee Ivery, Jerry Mays, Pat and Ken Swilling, Megatron, Bey Bey , and so many others. Do we settle for mediocrity? Those guys didn't and neither should we.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Funny, how it always seems to come down to defense. Play better defense then we can talk about division and conference championships with top 25 ranking. Don't play good defense, well its back to being the quaint team with the quirky throwback offense that everybody loves but does not really fear or respect that manages to get into some no name bowl and finish with a 40ish or so ranking. Don't get me wrong there are lots of teams that would trade places with us but is this sort of thing what we aspire to become? This is hallowed ground. The flats are inhabited by the ghosts of Dodd, Alexander, Heisman. Grant Field is where four national championships and Christ alone knows how many Southern Conference, SEC, and ACC championships have been won. Georgia Tech has been the home of Everette Struper, Indian Joe Guyon, Clint Castleberry, the Morris boys, Ray Beck, Lothridge, Billy Martin, Lenny Snow, Eddie Lee Ivery, Jerry Mays, Pat and Ken Swilling, and so many others. Do we settle for mediocrity? Those guys didn't and neither should we.
2 Orange bowls in the past 9 years. Tenuta had great defense and they managed to get to the Humanitarian bowl not just once but 2 times.

And the great teams we had around 99 went to the same bowl we just won last year and the bowl CPJ went to his first season.

What I'm saying is. What are you trying to say?

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Funny, how it always seems to come down to defense. Play better defense then we can talk about division and conference championships with top 25 ranking. Don't play good defense, well its back to being the quaint team with the quirky throwback offense that everybody loves but does not really fear or respect that manages to get into some no name bowl and finish with a 40ish or so ranking. Don't get me wrong there are lots of teams that would trade places with us but is this sort of thing what we aspire to become? This is hallowed ground. The flats are inhabited by the ghosts of Dodd, Alexander, Heisman. Grant Field is where four national championships and Christ alone knows how many Southern Conference, SEC, and ACC championships have been won. Georgia Tech has been the home of Everette Struper, Indian Joe Guyon, Clint Castleberry, the Morris boys, Ray Beck, Lothridge, Billy Martin, Lenny Snow, Eddie Lee Ivery, Jerry Mays, Pat and Ken Swilling, Megatron, Bey Bey , and so many others. Do we settle for mediocrity? Those guys didn't and neither should we.
What would you suggest?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
What would you suggest?
Recruit more defense especially linemen (like we did this past recruiting cycle)
Play better defense (although I think we have started to make progress)
Some have called for changing the philosophy from bend don't break to more blitzes. I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on that. I just feel like if we can hold opponents to three touchdowns a game, get a turnover or two, a couple of three and outs per half we have an excellent chance to win. IMHO

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
2 Orange bowls in the past 9 years. Tenuta had great defense and they managed to get to the Humanitarian bowl not just once but 2 times.

And the great teams we had around 99 went to the same bowl we just won last year and the bowl CPJ went to his first season.

Hell if I know, I went total Belushi speech there. I guess I was saying that we can do better than #40 in the nation but it will take an improved defense and better recruiting to get to consistently being in the top 25. We have in recent years, especially last year, made strides in both areas. Just got to keep improving.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Heisman would not be happy you forgot his SIAA championships. :rage:

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Hell if I know, I went total Belushi speech there. I guess I was saying that we can do better than #40 in the nation but it will take an improved defense and better recruiting to get to consistently being in the top 25. We have in recent years, especially last year, made strides in both areas. Just got to keep improving.
We need to keep improving with an incremental rate better than the ACC competition is improving. Even Wake seems to be getting better. This years team on paper and over all, looks as good or better to me as any CPJ GT team. But the conference overall is a lot tougher than it was in 2008. Replacing JT5 is not as much a concern to me as is ST, and D. ST needs to be at same level of last year. On D, find Davis replacement, a couple of Gotsis, Attachou, guys, but more importantly to me is an effective 50-55% passing game of 12 to 18 passes per game at past average per completion rates. And there is always a need for blessings from the injury gods. We have a tough schedule.

As said, we are doing better in building this depth and this year will reveal how we are doing when "the cleats meet the turf". Go Jackets, Sting the Riflemen, THWG

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Well, the Tenuta defenses had to overcome this slight obstacle. An offense that was so utterly predictable that my wife who knows next to nothing about football got to where she could pretty much predict Chan's calls with frightening regularity. "Did I get that right?" she would exclaim excitedly. My reply: "Shaddup and watch the game."
Not really but my frustration was pretty obvious.