Ranking College QBs

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-starting-quarterback-rankings-2019

114. Tobias Oliver, Georgia Tech

georgia-tech-yellow-jackets.png
Transitioning away from the option to more of a spread scheme will require some growing pains for Georgia Tech in 2019. However, the future of this program is bright under new coach Geoff Collins. Oliver gets the nod in this space as the frontrunner to start, but Lucas Johnson and James Graham will push for the job in the fall. All three quarterbacks were recruited by the previous staff to run the option and have combined for just 17 passes attempts in their career at Georgia Tech. Oliver made one start against Virginia Tech but spent the 2018 season as the backup to TaQuon Marshall. In 12 overall appearances, Oliver completed seven passes for 167 yards and two scores and rushed for 876 yards and 12 touchdowns. Graham played in three games but used a redshirt year, while Johnson did not record a snap in 2018.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
kind of a dart throw article for us though. Not sure anyone close to the program thinks TO will be the starter.

It's definitely the biggest ? for us though, IMO. More than the OL and new D.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tobias win the job. Right now Lucas is the frontrunner, but he's never started a game. Neither has Graham. It'll be a dog fight this fall, then we'll have to see who delivers on the field.

I don't think this is much of a question mark for the team, however. If Patenude is flexible, looks at who can deliver in games, and recasts the O accordingly, the talent is there. But that's the question: if it turns out we do best with a QB who runs a lot, will the OC allow him to do it? We'll see Real Soon Now.

Deleted member 2897

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tobias win the job. Right now Lucas is the frontrunner, but he's never started a game. Neither has Graham. It'll be a dog fight this fall, then we'll have to see who delivers on the field.

I don't think this is much of a question mark for the team, however. If Patenude is flexible, looks at who can deliver in games, and recasts the O accordingly, the talent is there. But that's the question: if it turns out we do best with a QB who runs a lot, will the OC allow him to do it? We'll see Real Soon Now.

I get your point, but Oliver only started 1 game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Update: I've posted this before:

Now, watch Jesse Ertz, the KSU QB. Remind you of anyone? Yep, Tobias looks just like that. And their O works because Ertz can both run and throw. That's why the RBs have such room to roam. Of course, it would help if we could play D like the Cats.

Will Tobias get the same results, if he's the starter? Who knows?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If they can run the offense and complete 60% of their passes, I’m fine with any of them.

George Godsey was the last GT starting QB to complete 60% in a season; 2001. Suggs got close at 57 % and Tevin completed 56 % one year. Otherwise, completing half our passes has been a struggle.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Lucas has looked pretty good, but don't sleep on Oliver. Oliver is a gamer and has a better arm than many think.
I hope a new system is a rejuvenator for TO's passing skills. I was at the Duke game and saw two throws from my seat in the Upper NorthEast and I can only say that I hope you're right.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn't Tobias getting some reps at DB or something like that? Tobias is obviously a very talented player, but I question his passing ability. I think we'll see him either at another position or as a short yardage type running QB. If I had to guess a starter week 1, it would be Lucas. He seems to me to be the most steady, collected guy of the 3. Graham oozes talent, but he's still kind of raw. I bet we will see some of him this season too, though.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
George Godsey was the last GT starting QB to complete 60% in a season; 2001. Suggs got close at 57 % and Tevin completed 56 % one year. Otherwise, completing half our passes has been a struggle.
Which is one reason I do think we can again this year we will have short to medium passes and not all long. Plus we will have one on those things they call a TE. And that thing they call a TE is not the back side of Jennifer Lopez but a tall guy that can catch a football.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Just shocking...almost as shocking as watching him scamper up the middle against the dogs:cigar:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looking at ACC from top 7 I see Clemson and UVA and Vt. Clemson is a lost cause as they have the highest rated wr recriuts to go w the nfl qb. We play vt and uva in in early and mid November, so we should be better w our scheme and have film on these better qb. Plus its a long tough season so they could be knicked up.

Early we play 5 acc teams w qb w lower rated qb. Early we play the lower rated qbs.

This gives us a path to get started and finish strong. With a little luck we could get our sea legs and be ready for last 3 games..

Yes, i know it all depends on what happens on field ,

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Looking at ACC from top 7 I see Clemson and UVA and Vt. Clemson is a lost cause as they have the highest rated wr recriuts to go w the nfl qb. We play vt and uva in in early and mid November, so we should be better w our scheme and have film on these better qb. Plus its a long tough season so they could be knicked up.

Early we play 5 acc teams w qb w lower rated qb. Early we play the lower rated qbs.

This gives us a path to get started and finish strong. With a little luck we could get our sea legs and be ready for last 3 games..

Yes, i know it all depends on what happens on field ,
As you were saying about the early season Qb’s and schedules. It sets up nicely for us to be 5-1 heading into Miami. If we get off to a start like that we should have enough confidence in our new system and momentum going into the last half of the schedule, which is pretty tough. We could easily go 1-5 or 4-2 in those last 6.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we bring pressure early in the season. Its too late to learn pressure if we wait till vt and uva. Would be nice to see us bring serious heat against uga. ( uga recruits 1 5* 11 4*) mixed in w some rush 3 but press cover.

Going to need to get many better recruits before we can play them heads ups

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll do a lot better than 114 in QB play, but obviously trying to peg our QB situation in reference to the rest of the nation is mostly guesswork.

I'm also thinking Oliver will play a big role in the new offense, but I think more as a wildcat++ substitution package. Just way too good a runner at the position to keep off the field, and he'll also be able to run a much more complete passing game than similar secondary QBs across the nation.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One update on the KSU film:

Average 247 national recruiting ranking for KSU in the last 5 years: 63 (high = 54 - low =72)

Average 247 national recruiting ranking for Tech in the last 5 years: 51 (high = 44 - low = 60)

I might also add that KSU didn't sign a single 4 star player in that period.

Our conference is a bit tougher then the Big 12, but I believe we have better talent then we think. It could be that the coaches are right on this, you know.

Now, if we could only get Coach to channel his inner Bill Synder …