Rank Your Excitement for 2022

On a scale of 1-10, how excited are you for this season of Tech football?

Votes: 31 14.0%

Votes: 27 12.2%

Votes: 40 18.1%

Votes: 16 7.2%

Votes: 15 6.8%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 10 4.5%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 36 16.3%

• Total voters

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Apparently not.
Everyone knows that a win over Auburn means more than a win over Alcorn State. The reason people say we should play Alcorn State instead of Auburn is that we would have a better chance of winning against Alcorn State, not because beating them would be the same. Everybody knows a win over Auburn would be more meaningful in just about any way you want to look at it. No one would dispute that.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I can give some data to support CGC losing the fanbase. For over 30 years I have been sitting in the East Upper deck with a group of 8 season tickets. Since GCGs arrival that number is now down to 2. And I have moved down to the club level. So that number is actually 0 in the East Upper. That does not include the folks that I knew around us that were fed up with CGC and gave up their tickets the past 3 years. Folks, that includes some lean years.

It is a small number of season tickets, but it is hard data.

I spent many great days and have special memories from the East Upper. Will miss the excellent view of the games.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Everyone knows that a win over Auburn means more than a win over Alcorn State. The reason people say we should play Alcorn State instead of Auburn is that we would have a better chance of winning against Alcorn State, not because beating them would be the same. Everybody knows a win over Auburn would be more meaningful in just about any way you want to look at it. No one would dispute that.
Well, some have. Not you. But others have suggested easing the schedule to get more wins. Let’s play Sprayberry!

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it? Create a schedule that includes Gardner-Webb, Alcorn State, South Alabama, Arkansas State, etc. .... and see how many fans show up or contribute?

The data shows it is NOT wins that count, but wins against competitive opponents. A win against Auburn (6-7 last year) counts FAR more than a win against Alcorn State. But do as you like, and if the results are what you want them to be, revisit the approach. Standard engineering thinking.
Oh my mistake. I assumed that when you referenced fans being disappointed with the product on the field you were referencing the actual schedule we played rather than a hypothetical easy schedule that we don't play

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Order of excitement for me:

Seeing players develop and watching players I followed during their recruiting cycle: 10

Watching our offense develop under a new OC: 10

Jeff Sims's development under Weinke/Long: 9

The impact of new staff and schemes on defense: 8

Other than those things, this is probably the least excited I've been for a new season since I started following GT football. With respect to Long, I think our offense will be improved, and I'm hearing good things so far, but I don't expect him to work miracles. Our OFEI last season was in the 70's. If he can get us to the 40-50's that would be a vast improvement for us. That alone would probably get us 2-3+/- more wins than last season. A three tier improvement is OFEI is very difficult.

I'm not sure what to think of the defense. On one hand, I know CGC hasn't forgotten what made him the "Minister of Mayhem", but on the other hand, Thacker is still in charge and there will be an adjustment period with so many new faces on defense...both on the field, and among coaches on that side of the ball. Our DFEI was in the last 10th percentile of the NCAA last season...and that includes teams outside of the P5. Something is fundamentally broken on defense, so the question is whether the changes are enough to make us at least a hindrance to the other team's offense. We'll see.

I think if CGC leaves Long and his offense alone, and he focuses strictly on the defense, this could be a much better outcome for GT. I hate to say it, but given our schedule, I give our chances of making a bowl game less than 50%. I think we can be more competitive, and I do think this offense will be much better, and the defense will improve a little. Is that enough to get to 6 wins against our schedule? I hope so...but I'm not counting on it. I would be ECSTATIC to be wrong, because that means we all will have a bowl trip to plan for later this year.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
A three tier improvement is OFEI is very difficult.

Our DFEI was in the last 10th percentile of the NCAA last season...and that includes teams outside of the P5. Something is fundamentally broken on defense, so the question is whether the changes are enough to make us at least a hindrance to the other team's offense. We'll see.
That’s the concern. Moving the needle that much on both sides of the ball is just damn hard - and other teams are going to have something to say about it. I’m sure it’s not 100% unprecedented, but would also bet it’s incredibly rare. We have the coaching changes, but I don’t think we had a massive infusion of talent via the portal to enable such a quantum leap. When people complain that Vegas or ranking services don’t know our team, they look at this. That’s we have an O/U of 3.5. IIWII. Hope we do better, but it’s just not likely.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Is it? Create a schedule that includes Gardner-Webb, Alcorn State, South Alabama, Arkansas State, etc. .... and see how many fans show up or contribute?

The data shows it is NOT wins that count, but wins against competitive opponents. A win against Auburn (6-7 last year) counts FAR more than a win against Alcorn State. But do as you like, and if the results are what you want them to be, revisit the approach. Standard engineering thinking.

Is this really even the the comparison to make considering where we currently are as a program? Feels like the comparison should be a win against Alcorn State vs yet another loss against a mediocre Auburn. I bet it's closer then you think.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm getting excited just reading some of the apparent apathy for this year, that's been when we are most likely to surprise in the past. Let's get more negativity and maybe we win the coastal:)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Is this really even the the comparison to make considering where we currently are as a program? Feels like the comparison should be a win against Alcorn State vs yet another loss against a mediocre Auburn. I bet it's closer then you think.
Put my point in context. The question was what is the better way to get support for your program (e.g., attendance, donations, swag, etc.). One answer is to just schedule teams so that you win. I disagree with that. Studies show that fans care less about "winning" for winning sake than playing well against competitive peers.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Put my point in context. The question was what is the better way to get support for your program (e.g., attendance, donations, swag, etc.). One answer is to just schedule teams so that you win. I disagree with that. Studies show that fans care less about "winning" for winning sake than playing well against competitive peers.
FWIW, the game against Ole Miss is my most excited non-UGA OOC home game in my 12 seasons as a fan. We might get blown out but I'm going to be so excited stepping onto campus that morning. If we had scheduled Vanderbilt or Kansas in that slot, attending would very much be a last second decision and based more on whether the game was starting when the sun was going down or not.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I upgraded to a 3 since our kicker made 4/4 with long of 51 and the Kool-Aid being served in the Fall Camp News. Another consulting hire, improved Sims. Maybe we can go 3-3 in the first half the season (WCU, Duke and one of Ole Miss, Pitt & UCF) with some last play FG to win.

Seeing as this whole season we play 5 of the top 25 projected teams in this ranking (Clempy, UGag, Ole Miss, Pitt & Miami), the season is going to be full of upset opportunities. (tic) https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...g-2022-ap-preseason-college-football-rankings