Rank Your Excitement for 2022

On a scale of 1-10, how excited are you for this season of Tech football?

Votes: 31 14.0%

Votes: 27 12.2%

Votes: 40 18.1%

Votes: 16 7.2%

Votes: 15 6.8%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 10 4.5%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 36 16.3%

• Total voters

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
No they don't. Look at the statistics. That you of all people aren't aware of them is .. a bit shocking.
Does a coaching change equate to more support? Is there any data to support that?

If I had to bet on something creating more excitement and gaining support around the program I'd probably bet on 8 wins between the two. With this schedule that would include some solid wins

For a coaching change to do so I think it'd have to be some big name or splash hire and I just don't have a lot of faith that GT would make that happen.

What coach hire in and of itself would increase support? I don't see any option coach like Monken doing that. Maybe Malzahn? Deion?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Does a coaching change equate to more support? Is there any data to support that?

If I had to bet on something creating more excitement and gaining support around the program I'd probably bet on 8 wins between the two. With this schedule that would include some solid wins

For a coaching change to do so I think it'd have to be some big name or splash hire and I just don't have a lot of faith that GT would make that happen.

What coach hire in and of itself would increase support? I don't see any option coach like Monken doing that. Maybe Malzahn? Deion?
Looks like winning is the key:

It’s no secret: Winning cures all, especially when it comes to attendance numbers. The chart below breaks down the average stadium capacity fill percentage based on Sagarin national ranking. A team ranked in the top 10 in Sagarin’s rankings average 94.7 percent of possible tickets sold while teams outside of the top 100 sell just 53.2 percent of possible tickets.

1660231449881.png

1660231484513.png

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I recall a survey that suggested that fans have two teams to pull for in the modern CFB game, based on their chances of winning the CFB title. By the end of September, all but about 8 teams already know they are out. So you pull for your team and for the next 2-3 months, you pull for your backup.
In their results I wonder how they considered the “second” team. If they were to ask me, my second team would be very fluid within the framework of the late season games and the playoff. I don’t pull for anyone who I don’t have some allegiance / connection to, but I definitely root AGAINST a lot of people, so my second team depends a lot on schedule.... and changes weekly!
Personally I think that’s quite different from someone saying, “I’m a GT fan but I pull for Bama too” I doubt their findings made such a distinction... or maybe I’m rounding error, not data point. :ROFLMAO:

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
What is there to be excited about? This team is worse than last year’s with a more difficult schedule.

Here’s what I think happens: win 2-3 games, lose by 50+ to uGA. Fire CGC, Board gets excited for a coaching search, we hire someone that seems like a letdown (because, face it, it’s not an exciting job anymore), struggle with recruiting and portal losses, hear “it’s a rebuilding year” all through 2023.

I’m at the point where I’ve given up on Tech. I’m wearing my other university’s gear instead these days

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
Given that it’s Tech, the other scenario is that CGC beats Western Carolina then the AD extends his contract 5 years. Then we go 0-fer the rest of the season and fire him.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I don't care if we win 8 games. Geoff has lost the fanbase and it's time to move on. No offense to Geoff. We all realize it was the Greatest Transformation in the History of Earth. But let's just get back to good football. He wasn't the guy and he can enjoy his millions. I just want to get back to a respectable football team.
This is just simply not true. He beats UGA you will be at the stadium to greet the team when they get back form Athens. That’s unlikely to happen but the premise that winning doesn’t solve the problems he has is wrong. He’s a very likeable guy that loves Tech, if he won most of our fans would love him and feel like we have one of our own leading us to success.

slugboy

Staff member
If he wins 8 is be happy and happy for him, but it would feel more like about time you hit the average. I suspect though most would treat it as the second coming.

I’ll get accused of hyperbole, but 8 wins with this schedule is a top 20 team. Possibly 15-16. He would earn some latitude. There would be a decent bowl game.

With the 2014 talk, does anyone remember what the over under for wins was that year? I’d guess 6.5

Very few foresaw JT, or two “captain insano” B-backs who covered when the other was dinged up, or a variety of other improvements.

We are hearing good word of mouth about Sims. We are hearing a heavy emphasis on attention to detail (mixed outlook — it might be better to hear that the coin had dropped) . One big question is “ do you pull a player if they aren’t following their coaching, knowing your job is on the line?”.

Getting that fixed is one of the big keys to the season.

In good news, The Undertaker has the rights to produce a Captain Insano movie. Adam Sandler is apparently gung ho for it.

Looks like winning is the key:

It’s no secret: Winning cures all, especially when it comes to attendance numbers. The chart below breaks down the average stadium capacity fill percentage based on Sagarin national ranking. A team ranked in the top 10 in Sagarin’s rankings average 94.7 percent of possible tickets sold while teams outside of the top 100 sell just 53.2 percent of possible tickets.

View attachment 12796

View attachment 12797

It’s hard to tell which direction causation works here—do teams with better attendance win more, or do teams that win more have better attendance?

I think it’s a mix, but fan support might be a bigger factor in winning than the converse

Keep posting moar stats!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is just simply not true. He beats UGA you will be at the stadium to greet the team when they get back form Athens. That’s unlikely to happen but the premise that winning doesn’t solve the problems he has is wrong. He’s a very likeable guy that loves Tech, if he won most of our fans would love him and feel like we have one of our own leading us to success.
Happens all the time. A disruptive leader is, by definition, disruptive. I had to let a few go in my career ... guys that had performed well but alienated the staff and the employee population. If Geoff wins 8 games (and that's a huge "if") and season ticket sales drop to 15,000 ... it's hardly a win for the program.

Malzahn got fired at Auburn for simply having an opinion that wasn't widely shared with the Athletic Dept.

Pointless discussion. Geoff isn't going to win eight. I hope he does. My guess is another 3. Maybe 4.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Happens all the time. A disruptive leader is, by definition, disruptive. I had to let a few go in my career ... guys that had performed well but alienated the staff and the employee population. If Geoff wins 8 games (and that's a huge "if") and season ticket sales drop to 15,000 ... it's hardly a win for the program.

Malzahn got fired at Auburn for simply having an opinion that wasn't widely shared with the Athletic Dept.

Pointless discussion. Geoff isn't going to win eight. I hope he does. My guess is another 3. Maybe 4.
It is pointless because using Ticket Sales for your argument isn’t relative. Ticket Sales at Tech is driven by W/L not how much the fans love the coach. Always has been.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s hard to tell which direction causation works here—do teams with better attendance win more, or do teams that win more have better attendance?

I think it’s a mix, but fan support might be a bigger factor in winning than the converse
One way to find out - Tech goes 10-2 and ends up in the Orange Bowl...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It is pointless because using Ticket Sales for your argument isn’t relative. Ticket Sales at Tech is driven by W/L not how much the fans love the coach. Always has been.
Ticket sales have ZERO to do with W/L. Go to the West Stands and do a count of how many long-time (and generous) ticket holders are renewing. Each one of those tickets is not just ticket sales, it's also a $500 A-T donation. And many of those who did not renew, are not real happy with Money-Down and a lot of the other BS that Geoff has brought.

I know season ticket holders of 40 years plus (I was one of them) who are not happy with the product being put on the field. They weren't happy at times before, but they did renew. They aren't renewing now.

I think THAT is one of TStan's great miscalculations. He thought by appealing to a new generation of fans, he could expand the base. The reality was, that the new generation don't contribute at the same levels as the old generation. So, in effect, he's replacing revenue of $2000/yr with revenue of $200/yr (and that's not an exaggeration).

I know a number of alumni who have just said, "This ... is not for me." And they will watch from Sea Island, or Cashiers, or elsewhere.