Rank the top 5 players on the team

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
And the pass defense improved after the change. We can argue all day about the why, but it's not worth anything since we both think he's a good player. I should've prefaced the whole discussion with 'If he was at safety this year he's top 2 easily'. Let's revisit this after this season, but I see Lou having about 50 tackles, 2 ints, and 8 pass breakups. Jemea with about 40/4/4 but allowing more big plays in his direction. Both will get drafted in the later rounds, but I see Lou going higher.

Jemea ALLOWING more big plays in his direction? I don't think so. Jemea is by and far better than than Lou. Both are very close when it comes to play recognition (I would give the go ahead to Jemea in this). Though play recognition is key, what is more important is making plays. Lou is very hit-and-miss in making plays, whether it is being beaten by a more agile guy b/c of his stiff hips or just fails to exert full effort on a play. With Jemea, you can have very high confidence that he will finish a play that is run on his side of the field. Jemea also plays bigger than he is listed, which is a plus.

1. Jemea Thomas
2. Sneezy
3t. JHD
3t. Shaq Mason
4. Godhigh
5. Watts.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Top 5

1 - Jeremiah Attaucho
2 - Jabari Hunt-Days
3 - Jemea Thomas
4 - Shaq Mason
5 - Vad Lee

Honorable Mention:

Jamal Golden, David Sims, Jay Finch, Robbie Godhigh

Up and Comers:

Harrison Butker, Fred Holton, Adam Gotsis, Darren Waller

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
1) Sneezy, played great last year and expect great things from him this year
2) Thomas, another "Football" player who seems to be in the right position at the right time, and his special teams contributions are great
3) Mason, a road grader for our offense, scary good
4) Vad Lee, granted this is based off of potential and some on the field results, like the UNC game of last year. He is a leader, something that GT hasn't had in a while. I am hoping for greatness from this young man
5) Gotsis, between Gotsis and JHD was tough for me for the final spot, but I think Gotsis is a man child and the first real inside presence that we have had since Coach Johnson's first year.

5a JDH: out of all these players this guy is probably going to be drafted 1st, he has all the measurables and I am hoping he has a break out year, if he does, he will be number 1

6: Young, down year last year, but physically he has all the tools
7: Finch, I noticed what seems to be drop from our O-line when he wasn't in the game last year, I think he and mason are key for our line.
8: Sims/Laskey, pick whomever you want, I think our B-backs are good, they just haven't been getting big chunks of yards like we saw with Dwyer.

I will stop here, but could go on. 9-3 or 10-2 this year, with a trip to Russell Athletic bowl.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Holton is who I'm most excited to see...I love his style. He wants it more than anybody. Loves to hit.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Looking back on this thread I really messed up leaving Godhigh off.

My list now would be

1 Jemea Thomas
2 Robert Godhigh
3 Hunt-Days
4 Attaochu
5 Shaq Mason

6th would likely be Gotsis for me

gtwin

Georgia Tech Fan
I can't take any list with Young on it seriously! Clearly measurables do not make the player.

Thomas is far and away the best player on this team for the past 2 Years and it is not even close.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Jemea Thomas
2. Jeremiah Attaochu
3. Jay Finch
4. JHD
5. Robert Godhigh

Louis Young is on the bubble for me. He makes plays, but he also seems inconsistent.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
1. Jemea Thomas
2. Jeremiah Attaochu
3. Jay Finch
4. JHD
5. Robert Godhigh

Louis Young is on the bubble for me. He makes plays, but he also seems inconsistent.

I'm a little hesitant on putting any olinemen on the list either although that's admittedly based on the unit's performance as a whole. Young has been a disappointment IMHO and I'm putting it mildly.

My 5 would be:
1. Jemea Thomas - No explanation necessary.
2. Gotsis - I think he's performed really well this year.
3. Godhigh - Just a baller. Doesn't stand out measurables or speed-wise but just gets it done.
4. JHD - Impressive.
5. Sims/Attouchu - Sims is a good/hard runner; Attouchu had a superb second half vs. UNC and looked better than ok vs. VT

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Based on pure talent I think the list would look like this:

1. 45
2. 32
3. 2
4. 88
5. 70

*20 a close 6th

The guys who have just seemed to be our playmakers so far, on the other hand:

1. 14
2. 11 (maybe my favorite D player; can do so many things in coverage, blitzing, etc.)
3. 45
4. 25
5. 15

Plus, I LOVE some of our younger defenders. I have noticed 28 make some plays and show emotion, and of course 40 has been all over the place.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
At this point this season:
1) godhigh
2) watts
3) jemea
4) smelter
5) young

I don't understand people's attitudes towards Louis young, but I think he's better in coverage than jemea. Needs to wrap up on tackles and provide run support, but he's got tight coverage on most every play.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
At this point this season:
1) godhigh
2) watts
3) jemea
4) smelter
5) young

I don't understand people's attitudes towards Louis young, but I think he's better in coverage than jemea. Needs to wrap up on tackles and provide run support, but he's got tight coverage on most every play.

I actually agree with you on Watts. Not sure how I missed him in my top 5. On Young, I think my beef with him is ball skills. Like you said, he's usually in good position but still seems to give up receptions.

This is just from the perspective of a fan though so who knows.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd have to put Lynn Griffin, Jay Finch, BJ Bostic, Quayshawn Neely, and Jemea Thomas on my list.
I agree with you on Lynn Griffin. I spoke with a coach who stated Lynn got caught in the shift. They wanted someone opposite of DJ White to play corner and Lynn had the speed and the strength to play bigger receivers. I think they second guessed the move when the starting safeties got injured. Have you guys seen this dude hit! He is a beast! and he is not afraid to hit anyone. I agree! He is the sleeper. GT fans just watch him. He and DJ will be the best corner combination in the ACC next year. JUST WATCH!!!!!!!

Kevin93

Georgia Tech Fan
1. Jemea Thomas
2. Jeremiah Attaochu
3. Jabari Hunt-days
4. Robert Godhigh
5.Vad Lee

Jay Finch and Brandon Watts were both on the bubble for me. Smelter will probably move up my list as the season progresses if he continues to make plays like he has been doing.