Radio Show Tonight

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Yup:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/gtathletics/9-16_Paul_Johnson_Show.mp3

Some notes, I was multi-tasking so didn't get to cover from start to finish.
  • Left some points on the field
  • Corey Dennis doing great job with blocking, getting guys on the ground
  • Yards per carry doesn't matter, just want to be efficient
  • Duke was overpursuing on the plays so ran a lot of counter option.
  • Need to get Vad to slow down a little bit on counter option.
  • Diamond formation is more of an inverted wishbone, watched a lot of San Francisco 49ers and Redskins for gun-stuff.
  • Seemed like with our player personnel thought inverting would be best, most of the plays we ran last year out of gun, more of a power running game downhill.
  • Few wrinkles we haven't shown yet, wasn't specifically designed for Duke, with the way Duke was overpursuing, thought it would work.
  • Do you notice that players raise their hands during snap count? Yes. I can tell you but then I'd have to kill ya. Just means we're changing plays.
  • What adjustments did CTR make after Duke's first drive? Defense just settled down, defense calls were in a bit faster, players played a bit faster
  • We had 11 missed tackles on defense, a little high
  • Player holding "Pig" sign? CPJ has no idea, Coach Roof has different colors and whatever and is really obsessed with doing things to prevent other teams from stealing signals
  • That's why CPJ likes to call plays with players, no one going to steal offensive plays unless you have extra sensory hearing
  • Before the age of 22 best sports event CPJ went to? ACC basketball tournament back when it meant something and only one team got to go to NCAA tournament
  • When did you know you wanted to be football coach? Kids play a lot of different sports back then instead of just playing one game now. First basketball game, he knew he couldn't go past that level so knew coaching was what I wanted to do.
  • Went to GSU to coach as grad assistant. Could have been athletic director and coached in high school and made more money but wife said she'll take a job so he could try coaching football at GSU because if he didn't try this he would always regret it and decided to give it a shot until he was 30. Was offensive coordinator at Hawaii when he was 28.
  • How many chin ups can do? More than Brandon and Wes.

Last edited:

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Excellent show tonight, definitely very informative. I learned more in an hour than all the rest of the media coverage combined. The chin-up exchange was hilarious.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Brandon should have said,"Let's go, coach." I bet he could.do more chin ups.

Agree that this was one of the better shows.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I liked that exchange because it reminded me of just how intensely competitive CPJ is and I have always liked that about him and think it is such a good trait for a head coach. He is what?, closer to twice Gaudin's age than not, isn't in obviously fantastic shape but he would have none of it. If someone is going to challenge him to ping pong, golf, or chin ups he means to win.