1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Radical Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by RamblinRed, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:43 PM.

1. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Helluva Engineer Featured Member

This article from Pat Forde will never happen, but it is a fun thought exercise to go through.
    He takes the current FBS and FCS structure and creates a new college football structure with 10 conferences, each with 12 teams. Every team plays a full conference schedule plus 1 non-conference team. The 1o conference champions plus 2 others advance to a 12 team playoff. The primary factor in conference creation is geography, not any current or past conference alignments. He also forces ND into a conference.
    In this re-imagining GT ends up in a conference called the Deep South with 12 teams from GA and FL.
    This idea also spreads out the blue bloods into more conferences.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/29/ncaa-college-football-conference-realignment

FredJacket likes this.
  2. HurricaneJacket

HurricaneJacket Helluva Engineer

Interesting concept. If we move to a completely remade system I'd prefer to see 12 10 team conferences with more cross conference games + 1 FCS money game to keep that level solvent.

bobongo and FredJacket like this.
  3. FredJacket

FredJacket Helluva Engineer

I like it.

Personally... (& it is totally selfish based on my domicile locale) I'd rather Tech be grouped with some teams "north" of Georgia.

CTJacket likes this.
  4. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Helluva Engineer

I don't like a purely geographical breakdown; needs to be geography plus culture, academics, etc. Anyways, it's not like the pandemic is going to last forever.

5. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

Would never happen, end of story too many small schools.

6. gtwcf

gtwcf Helluva Engineer

I can dig it, but it would ruin conference networks. I doubt ESPN would willingly destroy 2 properties (SEC and ACC networks) and the Big 10 wants their money maker with FOX. Reduced footprint would mean the conference networks wouldn't be as valuable for carriage rights.

7. JacketOff

JacketOff Helluva Engineer

12 10 team conferences, play all 9 other teams in regular season, 1 “conference challenge” game based on the previous year’s standings like basketball, and the other 2 games are free to schedule whoever with only 1 of them allowed to be FCS.

No conference championship games, 12 conference winners plus 4 at large bids make a 16 team playoff.

Potential conference for GT:
    Florida
    Florida State
    Miami
    Georgia
    Georgia Tech
    Clemson
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt
    Auburn

HurricaneJacket and Clay mathews like this.
  8. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

Notre Dame is in with Tennessee and WVU, but Purdue is in a different conference?
    I understand combining Georgia and Florida, but if it’s regionally aligned, it ought to be more regional. I guess Forde ran out of time and realized he needed to assign some universities, and it was a weird layout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

Many of those "small schools" are now bigger than Tech, at least in number of students

Clay mathews likes this.
  10. nod

nod Helluva Engineer

I would like:
    8 conferences with 16 teams
    Each conf is relegated to 8 div 1 and 8 div 2 teams.
    You only play 7 conf games against Div you are in, plus there will be 3 conference battle weeks like ACC big ten challenge.

8 team playoff for winners of each conf, no polls, both divisions have playoffs.
    Div 2 conf winners in playoff auto relegated up to div 1 next year.
    Conf can have championship game of top 2 teams for playoff berth.

Bottom 3 div 1 teams in conf relegated to div 2, top 3 div 2 teams move up to div 1.

Plus: no polls factor in playoffs then seed, conf battle game reward points to conf, conf with most points get best seed
    More games have meaning, blue bloods playing for title every year, others play hard to prevent relegation, small schools have more purpose.

Non conf games less meaning but fun for fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Gtbowhunter90

Gtbowhunter90 Helluva Engineer Contributing Writer

My God. Imagine... shewww

boger2337 and Clay mathews like this.
  12. wrmathis

wrmathis Helluva Engineer

Dont think you would get auburn without alabama

13. JacketOff

It would be wild. College sports are in need of some MAJOR realignment, and they’re heading in the wrong direction towards mega conferences. 14+ team conferences obviously will make more money, but they ruin regional rivalries, which is what college sports should be about. Tech hasn’t played Florida State since 2015, the same time it’s been since Georgia played Bama in the regular season. Auburn and Tennessee played in 2018, and won’t meet again until 2025, and Tech has only played 3 games against both of them since 87.

Then you can get more national and talk about defunct rivalries like Penn State vs. Pitt, Texas vs. A&M, Kansas vs. Missouri, Colorado vs. Nebraska, Florida vs. Miami, and so many others that never get seen anymore because of stupid conference scheduling. Wouldn’t it be awesome if, instead of having games like Auburn vs. Missouri and GT vs. Pitt, we had Auburn vs. GT and Pitt vs. West Virginia like it’s supposed to be?

14. JacketOff

Just an example. I needed another team and it was either Auburn or one of the NC schools. Probably a more accurate conference would be
    Miami
    Tech
    Duke
    North Carolina
    NC State
    Wake Forest
    UVA
    VT
    Vandy
    Maryland

As those schools are more closely related in both academic and athletic prowess. Clemson and FSU both fit better in some sort of broken SEC division, and Vandy joins the “new” ACC

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 8:30 PM
  15. nod

nod Helluva Engineer

Example Southern Conf:
    Div 1
    Miami
    Florida
    Florida St
    Clemson
    Georgia
    Georgia Tech
    Alabama
    Auburn

Div 2:
    South Carolina
    UCF
    South Florida
    Georgia Southern
    Ga State
    App State
    UAB
    ????

16. GTFLETCH

GTFLETCH Helluva Engineer

If I was Commish for a Day!

ACC North

BC
    UVA
    VT
    Louisville
    Pitt
    Cuse
    Wake Forest

ACC South
    Miami
    FSU
    GT
    Clemson
    Duke
    UNC
    NC State

Annual Crossovers
    BC vs Miami
    UVA vs UNC
    VT vs GT
    Louisville vs Clemson
    Pitt vs Duke
    Cuse vs FSU
    Wake Forest vs NC State

17. Supersizethatorder-mutt

I don't think S Carolina would ever go for that

18. Gtbowhunter90

Gtbowhunter90 Helluva Engineer Contributing Writer

yeah........ thats a slap in the face lol

19. Supersizethatorder-mutt

For sure.

20. nod

nod Helluva Engineer

Switch USCe with UCF , it’s only one year as bottom 3 and top 3 move up and down based on their finish.