Quick poll on the pulse of the fanbase....

Have you lost faith in CPJ?

• Total voters

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree that making these changes that he has made does take humility. But it also takes being dead wrong on a whole laundry list of subjects to begin with. I like your prediction that we are ready to explode, but, man, I have seen nothing that makes me that optimistic. But I am glad that you have. I will be watching closely in the coming weeks hoping for the conflagration.

Well. I am normally a realist poster with a touch of pessimism so for me to say this may tell u something.

Be patient. I had to use two hands to count the number of plays we missed from taking it to the house vs just getting 10 yards or a missed pass. We are so close. A few AB runs a tad different a bb cutback thomas missing wide open players. You correct that and add the hurryup and boom.

I can see things on the tape that i didnt see last year. Hence my optimism.

Crap the first play should been a 80 yard td.

thwgjacket

I don't want to derail the thread, I'll bet $100 on Duke beating Tulane and also $100 on Tulane not making a bowl. I tailgate for every game in the lot near Student Center and can meet up.
Lol I live in DC dude. Won't be able to meet you in the parking lot. We'll have to figure something else out.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
LOL. OK, I'll be glad to keep my "hearsay arguments" to myself. But here's one for you. I've never spoken to Vad nor anyone else in his family. Nor have I spoken to his high school coach or any other friend, family member or relative of his. So keep thinking....perhaps there were other people in that room besides Coach Johnson and Vad's family/friends?

And also, you might want to work on your reading comprehension. I said I didn't listen to the coach's show...not that I never speak to the man in person. I don't listen to the coach's show because if I want to ask questions of the coaches, I generally do that in person. But, what the heck, I'll be glad to keep those conversations to myself.

Ok well I guess I'll ask you because everyone else is just assuming what you're trying to say. Are you implying that Vad left because CPJ sold him a bill of goods and lied to him? So it's his fault Vad transferred in your eyes?

Ok well I guess I'll ask you because everyone else is just assuming what you're trying to say. Are you implying that Vad left because CPJ sold him a bill of goods and lied to him? So it's his fault Vad transferred in your eyes?

I don't believe it is that cut and dried. CPJ might have said those kinds of things such as we'll pass more--and really meant it at the time. Then Vad comes in and can't run the option, and can't throw as well as expected. So, in turn, CPJ has to call different plays. Vad sees the handwriting on the wall. Not so much "Coach lied to me", as "Coach is not ever going to go all Mike Leach , and I can't excel in the present arrangement." So before he gets hurt taking 20 carries plus another five or six sacks a game, or before he gets benched, he starts to heed the whispers, "Get out, get some playing time while you still have eligibility". It is not Paul Johnson's fault Vad left, but it is Johnson's failure to have evaluated him as a guy that was a true dual threat athlete. Wasted a scholarship and three years trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ca-ca.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't believe it is that cut and dried. CPJ might have said those kinds of things such as we'll pass more--and really meant it at the time. Then Vad comes in and can't run the option, and can't throw as well as expected. So, in turn, CPJ has to call different plays. Vad sees the handwriting on the wall. Not so much "Coach lied to me", as "Coach is not ever going to go all Mike Leach , and I can't excel in the present arrangement." So before he gets hurt taking 20 carries plus another five or six sacks a game, or before he gets benched, he starts to heed the whispers, "Get out, get some playing time while you still have eligibility". It is not Paul Johnson's fault Vad left, but it is Johnson's failure to have evaluated him as a guy that was a true dual threat athlete. Wasted a scholarship and three years trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ca-ca.
this ^
Was a bad recruiting evaluation to begin with. PJ saw the raw talent and thought it would translate. the experiment went bad, and IMHO Vad did us all a favor.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
No, I think it was part CPJ's fault and part Vad's fault.
CPJ told him that we would throw the ball more if we had a passing QB. I personally believe he left the message a bit ambiguous on purpose to leave himself some wiggle room. He could always say "Well we did throw the ball more. We threw it 5 - 6 times more per game." But that part is purely my opinion; no one would know what Coach Johnson actually meant by that but CPJ himself.

On Vad's part, I think he believed that Coach Johnson was saying that, if we had a passing QB, we would convert to an offense that passed more than it ran. (And FWIW, I don't think that is EVER going to happen under Coach Johnson at any school.)

When Vad got here, he showed flashes of great potential, like the UNC game year before last and the Georgia game last year. But I had been hearing from the assistant coaches during Vad's first year that they all thought he was going to be THE MAN when he took over as the starting QB. They kept telling tales of him giving the starters fits with his ability to throw the ball. However, during the games, due to what I believe to be a combination of reasons, Vad never passed as effectively as he, the coaches or fans expected.

Vad began to receive a lot of pressure from the folks back home...primarily during the time between the Georgia game and the bowl game. He considered leaving at that point but decided he wanted to stay at Tech. After the bowl game, he changed his mind...for what reason I do not know. However, he decided to leave and he left.

I don't put fault on CPJ or on Vad. I think it was a combination of both of them who were at fault. But in the end, I believe the best result happened for both parties by him leaving.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good, so you accept the bets.

Isn't it a rule if you bet in a public forum the bet needs to be something ALL members of a messageboard get go enjoy? Either the spoils for one side, or the humiliation of the other.

I'm sure between all of us we can figure out something for the winner/loser that will entertain all of us! :)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll start this comment with the admission that I voted to the negative, but FWIW, it boggles my mind that we are even having this thread right now (sorry Cheese). We are in the middle of a season! If there was a third category I would vote for "lets save discussion until the season is over and the results are in". Our kids are preparing for the next 10 contests that will chart the course for the future and we are hashing over stuff that matters not RIGHT NOW. Beat the Eagles!

Squints

Helluva Engineer

With you 100% until your last couple of sentences.

No, I think it was part CPJ's fault and part Vad's fault.
CPJ told him that we would throw the ball more if we had a passing QB. I personally believe he left the message a bit ambiguous on purpose to leave himself some wiggle room. He could always say "Well we did throw the ball more. We threw it 5 - 6 times more per game." But that part is purely my opinion; no one would know what Coach Johnson actually meant by that but CPJ himself.

On Vad's part, I think he believed that Coach Johnson was saying that, if we had a passing QB, we would convert to an offense that passed more than it ran. (And FWIW, I don't think that is EVER going to happen under Coach Johnson at any school.)

When Vad got here, he showed flashes of great potential, like the UNC game year before last and the Georgia game last year. But I had been hearing from the assistant coaches during Vad's first year that they all thought he was going to be THE MAN when he took over as the starting QB. They kept telling tales of him giving the starters fits with his ability to throw the ball. However, during the games, due to what I believe to be a combination of reasons, Vad never passed as effectively as he, the coaches or fans expected.

Vad began to receive a lot of pressure from the folks back home...primarily during the time between the Georgia game and the bowl game. He considered leaving at that point but decided he wanted to stay at Tech. After the bowl game, he changed his mind...for what reason I do not know. However, he decided to leave and he left.

I don't put fault on CPJ or on Vad. I think it was a combination of both of them who were at fault. But in the end, I believe the best result happened for both parties by him leaving.

Ok yea that I can totally get behind. Largely what I would assume is the case.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

I basically agree, when you put it that way (other than the whole "no fault on either party" / "both of them were at fault" paradox ;)). I'd just rather characterize the event without the use of the word "fault" at all. I think it was an issue of them both having a conversation, and both sides thinking in all honesty that an agreement had been reached, when each side actually had a different internalization of what had been agreed to.

I can see Coach talking about opening up the passing game, meaning "we will establish the option and then take advantage of your skills to amp up the passing game and turn the offense into a quadruple-option"—while Vad interpreted Coach's remarks to mean "we'll run more pro-style plays to make passing a bigger part of the offensive game plan, and run the option less." They both assumed they were on the same page, but in fact they were not. That kind of miscommunication is something that happens, no matter how much you try to prevent it. Consequently, attaching fault to either side may not be the best way to describe what happened; neither side really did anything wrong, other than to assume their view of things was shared by the other party.

Accurate communication is always a tricky business, and requires careful attention to detail; even small nuances can get blown out of proportion, if one is not careful. I know from recent experience.

(@daBuzz See? I do have good reading comprehension skills—writing skills to, I hope. I just need to learn not to post late at night after having a couple beers too many. :oops: My jump-to-conclusions inhibitor was, shall we say, a bit inhibited last night, and I probably read your remarks to be a heavy-handed cheap shot that was not actually your intent. That's on me.)

I also agree that the separation was best for both parties, and I sincerely hope that Vad finds success in his career. I will always be thankful for the 100% effort he gave to our program.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I love GT football/athletics. I will watch the jackets whether they go 0-12 or 12-0. With that being said... I feel the program got really stagnant from 2010 - 2013. I think Paul's non-schaluant demeanor had a rub off effect on the team and for several years now he comes off almost disinterested at times and our team plays that way a lot. I just didnt feel a lot of excitement and fire in a lot of our guys (outside of a handful).

This year has seemed a little different in that our young guys seem to have really bonded together and seemed fired up which has given me a little more hope in the direction of the program. We've finally had 2 decent recruiting classes and seem to be reeling in some talent. So maybe things are looking up again.