Quick Lane Bowl Postgame Discussion

Animal02

Banned
I agree he was loyal to a fault, not only with players, particularly QBs, but with coaches. (I don't see how changing a DC improves your D substantially if all your position coaches are unchanged.) But I don't think he thought Tobias made the offense better consistently. I just can't see any coach accepting defeats because he likes player A personally more than player B. Way back in high school I once double-dated with a running back who whined he wasn't starting because the coach supposedly got a great deal on a car from the father of the guy who did start. I pointed to a cracked ankle -- actually, that is the doctor described it -- suffered from diving into a pile after his third fumble of the game. To me, the coach made the change two fumbles late.
No coach worth a damn is going to risk losing to play favorites. These people that see a couple dozen plays all of a sudden know better than the coaches that see they kids day in and day out for years. :rolleyes:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wish Athletic department would refund all people that went to the game. No way from CPJ downdid the team knew they didn't care and were going to play flat. That is almost stealing money

Without a doubt, they mailed it in from coaches to players. Absolutely no excuse for this other than they simply do not care. Well, the highway runs both ways.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Lest some, or many, of us all forget, Bobby Dodd lost his last bowl game, too.

True, but he got more out of that team than any coach this side of Bear Bryant. They won 9 games and finished in the top 10. It would be quite a long time before the Jackets would reach those heights. To be sure, that 1966 team had some very good players, Kim King, Lenny Snow, Craig Baynam, Billy Schorer, All American center Jim Breland, Giles Smith, and some others but there was no depth especially on the lines. Mercifully, they did not have to play Alabama but they did play and beat both Tennessee and Auburn which, in those days, made for a pretty fair season especially when Tennessee was number 8 in the country when we played them with a boatload of All SEC and All Americans.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My one concern is that our athletes looked smaller and slower. They did not look like Power 5 athletes. If that is true, then CGC is in for a long 2-3 years until he gets a whole bunch of bigger, stronger, faster guys in house.

Yep. That was my first observation. We are small...but slow. Coach Collins was probably thinking one of two things: This is going to be a lot harder than I thought or Do I get a mulligan on accepting this job? The transition will take, in my opinion, a minimum of 3 years and it may be painful. We are counting on much improved recruiting but I am not so sure that he can work that magic. The same things that bedeviled Coach Johnson are still here. Less than adequate support from the Hill, limited curriculum, small fan base, limited resources for recruiting etc. This is NOT to say that it is seemingly impossible or anything like what Bill Curry faced in the early 1980s just that those who expect a miraculous turnaround via a plethora of four stars may need to temper those expectations. We will see. He is off to a good start but that bowl performance may be a wakeup call to what is ahead.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So in your opinion we were just significantly worse than a team that got blown out by Illinois and Nebraska? You don't think there was any lack of interest or motivation here?[/QUOTE

The eye test showed a team that looked like a power 5 conference team is supposed to look versus one that, well they mostly got by with smoke and mirrors at times. The difference in the lines was pretty apparent, at least to me. Others may differ but we not only did not have the horses but for the most part did not seem to care too much one way or another. Personally, I don't think the players wanted to be in that bowl and it showed.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Im just saying that trashing our players and saying they have no self respect or dignity because they may not be completely motivated for a terrible bowl game after all of their coaches either retired or got fired is a bit of a stretch.
Players play, coaches coach and fans complain. It is the way of this world. The concerns our players have for being trashed on a fan post will soon be the least of their worries. Coach Collins is probably already noting who wants to play and who is scheduled to ride the pine. IIWII

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Woody played essentially a 3-3-5 with two undersized ends in Saint Amour and Branch for a 3 man DL. We have some size that sat the bench this year. I think we'll be surprised when we go back to a 4-3 and more aggressive philosophy that we're not as puny and physically overmatched at DL as we looked in that game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting closing comments to the media made by CPJ. He basically stated that the local media played a big role in characterizing him in a way of being old, stubborn, grouchy, and having a general "dislike" of them. Trying to run him out of his job. He told them in a PG-13 kind of way that he didn't appreciate their comments, the way they covered him, nor the "public image" they helped shape about himself or his offense or team really in general terms. I also imagine that these sentiments have festerd worse during the transition out as CGC has been fawned over by the media and has been LIGHTS OUT everywhere being seeen/heard as the "new era" of GT football while CPJ and the staff continued to log hours on the field and answer unknown numbers of questions related to life, football, and life post football.
CPJ basically gave the local press the middle finger in a professional yet honest way by stating I did and gave you every interview you ever asked of me yet you painted a harmful stigma about GT to our audience and I hate you for it. I can't believe he said that he was going to watch film on the game. Where? And with whom? His OL coaching buddy? Why? I bet he isn't going to stay retired long and will be entertaining offers next year.

All that is true about the local media but the Atlanta media has belittled Tech for a very long time. It is nothing new and I suspect that Coach Johnson knew that going in. Perhaps, Coach Collins can get a better shake, certainly could not get worse or could it?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Well, it is hard to say but after looking at all three games: Purdue and Miami embarrassed themselves on a whole different level than we did. We just played bad and did not seem to care, they were spectacularly out played, out coached, and that was with them playing pretty hard. These things happen time to forget it and move on. We have a lot of work to do beginning with both sides of the line.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well, it is hard to say but after looking at all three games: Purdue and Miami embarrassed themselves on a whole different level than we did. We just played bad and did not seem to care, they were spectacularly out played, out coached, and that was with them playing pretty hard. These things happen time to forget it and move on. We have a lot of work to do beginning with both sides of the line.
You can add ND, Michigan & Houston to that pile of highly visible losses. GT’s loss is only going to get a footnote in this year’s bowl season. Kind of like SCe.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You can add ND, Michigan & Houston to that pile of highly visible losses. GT’s loss is only going to get a footnote in this year’s bowl season. Kind of like SCe.
Yes, I turned a couple of those off. It is hard to believe how bad Michigan can be when they really put their mind to it given the talent that is annually wasted on that team. Our loss, as bad as it was, will only be a footnote in a bowl season of meltdowns and embarrassments this year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Without a doubt, they mailed it in from coaches to players. Absolutely no excuse for this other than they simply do not care. Well, the highway runs both ways.
You may not have a doubt but don't speak for me. I don't believe that at all, not for a minute. They played lousy, but one can care a lot and still stink the place out. Anybody who has tried to compete knows that because if they played any at all, then it happened. I can remember beating a basketball team by 20 and three weeks later losing to the same team by 20, and nothing changed except the score. From the coach down we were all baffled. Think they quit? That scholarship athletes didn't care? Find a couple of the players on campus and tell them that. Not anonymously on a message board populated by "fans" like us who know diddly about football or what it means to compete. Just walk right up and let 'em have it. Go ahead.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I did not mean to be a smart aleck. What I was clumsily trying to say was that this particular problem goes back to the beginning of Coach Johnson's tenure. Remember how we had two offensive line coaches at various points? One for the tackles and Coach S. doing whatever it was he did? Then it was back just one and then back to two again or something like that? Seems like Shaq was the best coach we ever had. I know that sometimes the talent was a little down at offensive line, we hardly ever seemed to have tackles that met Coach Johnson's expectations but it just seems to me that if you are going to run the ball 90 plus% of the time you should be beating the bushes for linemen but what do I know.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know I really don't care about how Miami, Purdue, Michigan and Houston looked in their bowl games. The only team I cared about how they looked was Georgia Tech. If you are going to play and represent Georgia Tech, I expect a better showing and greater effort all around.

Go Jackets!