Quick, Harris and Chimedza end their football careers

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Congrats to those that have graduated.

Regarding Quick, it is interesting that he made it a point to go back to Alabama to get his degree because it was easier to get his degree. "...transferred back to Alabama, where his path to a degree was quicker than at Tech, and is on track to graduate this spring."

Not giving him grief for doing so. Also, I don't blame him for giving up football due to injuries. I'm sure he'd like to be able to walk later in life without assistance at an early age.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Harris and Chimedza will have graduated. They must be giving up the extra COVID year of eligibility. Glad they have finished their education at GT. They have worked hard on and off the field. Thanks guys. Wish Quick would have finished here but that is his decision and if going into coaching it might be better to have Alabama on your bio.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Congrats to those that have graduated.

Regarding Quick, it is interesting that he made it a point to go back to Alabama to get his degree because it was easier to get his degree. "...transferred back to Alabama, where his path to a degree was quicker than at Tech, and is on track to graduate this spring."

Not giving him grief for doing so. Also, I don't blame him for giving up football due to injuries. I'm sure he'd like to be able to walk later in life without assistance at an early age.
Good for him, but schools purposely make transferring credits difficult. No reason for you to be academically snotty.

DChape

Georgia Tech Fan
I think it has to do with needing a minimum number of hours completed at Georgia Tech to get a degree - I want to say its 2 years, so 60 credit hours. If he needs less than 20 to graduate from Alabama but still 30+ from Tech, then the move makes perfect sense. Plus, he's from Trussville, AL so going back "home" is likely a factor as well.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Academic gloating but not being snotty over others makes a number of gt alums feel superior.

U could consider how it sounds.

You and others are have put more into my post than was there.

Curious if you all read the article. Just quoted from it. I don't believe the author of that article went to Georgia Tech...

Last edited:

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I think it has to do with needing a minimum number of hours completed at Georgia Tech to get a degree - I want to say its 2 years, so 60 credit hours. If he needs less than 20 to graduate from Alabama but still 30+ from Tech, then the move makes perfect sense. Plus, he's from Trussville, AL so going back "home" is likely a factor as well.
At Tech, it’s 36 hours, not 60. No restriction on how many years/semesters must be spent at Tech. In principle, a student could transfer in and earn a degree in two semesters…but that is predicated on their prior coursework lining up perfectly, and the scheduling of their remaining GT courses conveniently falling together in two consecutive semesters. Not likely to happen in practice.

What tends to hold back students who transfer in their junior or senior years is not the 36 Hour Rule, but the fact that their coursework at the prior school does not line up with the requirements of most GT degrees—they have far too many courses on their transcript that (a) are over and above the Institute Core requirements (English/humanities/social sciences/intro lab science), and (b) don’t satisfy any major-specific requirements. Those courses end up being transferred as Free Elective courses, and the student ands up with an surplus of such Free Electives—with the excess not being applicable toward their degree path. As a consequence, the nominal 36-hour requirement ends up being something more like 45-50 hours (or more) credit hours.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
At Tech, it’s 36 hours, not 60. No restriction on how many years/semesters must be spent at Tech. In principle, a student could transfer in and earn a degree in two semesters…but that is predicated on their prior coursework lining up perfectly, and the scheduling of their remaining GT courses conveniently falling together in two consecutive semesters. Not likely to happen in practice.

What tends to hold back students who transfer in their junior or senior years is not the 36 Hour Rule, but the fact that their coursework at the prior school does not line up with the requirements of most GT degrees—they have far too many courses on their transcript that (a) are over and above the Institute Core requirements (English/humanities/social sciences/intro lab science), and (b) don’t satisfy any major-specific requirements. Those courses end up being transferred as Free Elective courses, and the student ands up with an surplus of such Free Electives—with the excess not being applicable toward their degree path. As a consequence, the nominal 36-hour requirement ends up being something more like 45-50 hours (or more) credit hours.
To clarify: No student may be considered a candidate for a degree unless the final 36 credit hours required for the degree are earned in residence at Georgia Tech and approved by the major school.

Other schools have similar requirements

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
To clarify: No student may be considered a candidate for a degree unless the final 36 credit hours required for the degree are earned in residence at Georgia Tech and approved by the major school.

Other schools have similar requirements
Oh yeah. Go ahead. Quote the rules verbatim.

?? Are you one of my burner accounts ?? ;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tech is not set up attract players or studdbts that want to work in sports.

Son played hs ball in texas - wanted to be a coach after college ( SAT 1250). His dad wanted him to go to gt but he even though he loved the gt underdog thing he didnt want all the tech stuff desigened to fill corporations.
After college football he went to OU to get masters and work w great coaches there. Now an AD in texas high school with wife as a principal. Together they are really helping fight the good fight while making good living in the small town where they are raising a family. Son has put 1 in nfl, 15 in college and 5 in hs as football coaches.

Lots of people think gt grads are haughty. We needcto stop laughing a jokes about uga grads being fry cooks at waffle house.

Our 200,000,000 debt which we only pay interest, while donating at bottom of acc needs to to be solved by gt grads

Its time for gt to get a cut above path (LOWER academicly than nuclesr engr) where kids like QUICK and my son will WANT TO COME TO Gt.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Oh yeah. Go ahead. Quote the rules verbatim.
There's an open invitation to the 'obscure vocabulary word' thread in the Swarm Lounge for those that like verbiage with Roman roots....

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon