Question

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not sure if it has anything to do with 1 Line and 2 Line drills every day that they practice?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
As I understand it and from how many players played at Temple last year, if you are ATL, you will play. It may be limited play, but you will play.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

I think that is about right. It’s really not that much difference from the traditional listing of first string and second string, except possibility of equalizing the number of reps in practice among all those players who are “above the line.”

We will see how it works among the players listed “ATL” in the actual games. I do expect the first-stringers to play the majority of snaps in the games, however.

slugboy

Staff member
Is there a special teams above the line or are those guys chosen from the regular position group above the liners?

For offense, defense, or special teams, you’re trying to show well enough to get playing time.

Think of it like WAR (wins above replacement) or Some similar stat. If you have several players similar, it’s more than a two deep, but you want to make sure whoever you put out there is a net plus. You might be a net plus on offense but not on punt coverage, so you’d be above the line in one and not the other.

Also, from the Philly article, you might have 7 defensive backs above the line. Maybe it’s 9, maybe a different number, but there shouldn’t be much of a drop off from playing one vs another. It’s just whatever shows up from practice. You might get your playing time at corner or at free safety. It’s not “second string free safety”, it’s “here are the players who make an impact on defense” and “here are the best backfield players I have that are a net plus out there”.

The places you fit might vary. Maybe there’s overlap between OLB and Strong Safety. One player might work well at DE to OLB, one might from DT to DE.

It’s that Collins doesn’t want to be putting the “18th best defender” on the field and skipping over six players who could make more impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
We need our own ATL/BTL standard for posters.

For example, if you start a thread with the subject line

Lucas Johnson

and that's it, you are immediately BTL by negative 5000.

LOL

But what about those like me? I wayyyy too frequently lurk OOS (Out Of Sight) on The Swarm.

Then again, I’m just a CGOGTF, like everyone else on here.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I did hear in a CGC press conf that an ATL goal was to eventually get half the team above the line (50-55 0r so players). That gets 2 strings and more than half the 3rd stringers, more or less. With fast play we probably see more WRs, RBs, and CBs than 3 deep and only 2 deep at OL or less. Getting more players on the field and lots of players hyped up about playing time can only be a good thing.

GT_EE78

Banned
Still sounds like an exercise in subterfuge just to gain a mythical edge. Sports websites will figure out his depth chart. I'd certainly rather have him publish it.
just confusing cuz there's so much ATL hype for atlanta

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to submit a 2-deep to the ACC before a game?

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
First it is published every week, and second they bold the players that started the previous week. So the subterfuge is minimum. Even with depth charts, the formation we line up in first could be different week to week, so that doesn’t tell you who started the game. I posted an example from Temple in this thread.