Question for the experts...Unbalanced line

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Why were we running so many plays out of the unbalanced line look today? We had WRs at the backside T position, and they were just getting eaten for lunch by the blitzing LB and we had a lot of takedowns from behind.

Why were we running out of this set so much? Was it a look Duke was showing that drove this?

I think we ran it quite a bit last week too, but I don't think Louisville wasn't attacking in this manner.

slugboy

Staff member
Why were we running so many plays out of the unbalanced line look today? We had WRs at the backside T position, and they were just getting eaten for lunch by the blitzing LB and we had a lot of takedowns from behind.

Why were we running out of this set so much? Was it a look Duke was showing that drove this?

I think we ran it quite a bit last week too, but I don't think Louisville wasn't attacking in this manner.

Bedford talked about it on the radio. Duke was disguising their defense well against our standard formation. He thought it was CPJ’s way of forcing a numeric advantage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
According to CPJ after the game the linebacker blitz wasn't being counted correctly even after being told the correction.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
According to CPJ after the game the linebacker blitz wasn't being counted correctly even after being told the correction.

If only he could recruit players who could count and take instruction. Then I bet we would be really good, huh? His comments, while perhaps being accurate, are wearisome.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If only he could recruit players who could count and take instruction. Then I bet we would be really good, huh? His comments, while perhaps being accurate, are wearisome.

Well damn i suppose he's also the reason for the injuries too. Especially the ones that happen non contact. You know those 5 stars georgia recruits don't seem to be able to take instruction either. Neither do the players penn state, south carolina, etc.

Players make mistakes.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Players make mistakes.

We have won 3 games...against Alcorn, Bowling Green, and Louisville. Lost to 4 teams...Duke, USF, Pitt and Clemson. For some reason, our players make more mistakes than the other team, especially when we are playing against teams at or near our level. We brag on recruiting 'smart" athletes...but yet we make more mistakes. Do you attribute this to random chance? Coaching? Lack of sufficient data after 7 games? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was the job of coaches to minimize player's making mistake. What am i missing here? To my eye, we look poorly coached. and part of that is the number of errors we make.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well damn i suppose he's also the reason for the injuries too. Especially the ones that happen non contact. You know those 5 stars georgia recruits don't seem to be able to take instruction either. Neither do the players penn state, south carolina, etc.

Players make mistakes.
But not the same mistakes over and over And still play.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
After the game CPJ made it quite clear that the line calls in that formation were a disaster, with the receiver playing the weak side tackle turning out and leaving the b-gap unblocked.

I didn't like that look in real time and questioned it in the chat session. If we never see a WR lining up as an OT again at Georgia Tech, that would be fine by me!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
After the game CPJ made it quite clear that the line calls in that formation were a disaster, with the receiver playing the weak side tackle turning out and leaving the b-gap unblocked.

I didn't like that look in real time and questioned it in the chat session. If we never see a WR lining up as an OT again at Georgia Tech, that would be fine by me!

Ricky's TD at VT last year was out of that formation.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

I'll have to listen to this later....but if you're guys can't execute it, is it on the players or on the playcaller?

The turnovers killed us, but we didn't really move the ball yesterday either.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We have won 3 games...against Alcorn, Bowling Green, and Louisville. Lost to 4 teams...Duke, USF, Pitt and Clemson. For some reason, our players make more mistakes than the other team, especially when we are playing against teams at or near our level. We brag on recruiting 'smart" athletes...but yet we make more mistakes. Do you attribute this to random chance? Coaching? Lack of sufficient data after 7 games? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was the job of coaches to minimize player's making mistake. What am i missing here? To my eye, we look poorly coached. and part of that is the number of errors we make.

we run a HIGH risk, HIGH reward offense--the QB handles the ball and runs a lot, he is lightest QB in P5 fball, he fumbles, --we toss /handle the ball a bunch every play, better chance for any fumble, - we can't pass block well so ints occur (% for # of passes)--we have a BAD T.O. record, --it is in the system esp vs good teams

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
we run a HIGH risk, HIGH reward offense--the QB handles the ball and runs a lot, he is lightest QB in P5 fball, he fumbles, --we toss /handle the ball a bunch every play, better chance for any fumble, - we can't pass block well so ints occur (% for # of passes)--we have a BAD T.O. record, --it is in the system esp vs good teams
I thought All 3 fumbles we lost were NOT system fumbles. They were players with the ball in their hands running the ball, making yardage and then fumbling. Not unlike Searcy earlier this year driving for a touchdown. Just saying

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
Ricky's TD at VT last year was out of that formation.

Hell, the one long TD pass against Duke on Saturday was out of that formation too. You might be able to sell it to me as a pass pro formation, but we don't have the first clue blocking out of that set for the run game. To be generous, that was CPJ getting cute. To be frank, it's a sign that certain defensive coordinators have figured something out....

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Hell, the one long TD pass against Duke on Saturday was out of that formation too. You might be able to sell it to me as a pass pro formation, but we don't have the first clue blocking out of that set for the run game. To be generous, that was CPJ getting cute. To be frank, it's a sign that certain defensive coordinators have figured something out....

We've been running that formation since CPJ started here in 2008. We run that formation quite a bit - not always with the WR flexed close to the LOS, but that unbalanced look has been here for 10 years. I'm pretty certain that we know how to block out of that set, although it sure didn't look like it on Saturday.

It's meant to get a third offensive lineman to one side, unbalancing the formation and running power plays out of it. When they don't expect a pass, you throw the home run ball (like last year against VT). Clearly that was a strategy that CPJ had going in - because we showed it right from the start. What I'm sure is tearing his hair out is he explained how to handle the blitzing LB on the backside and even after a sideline correction it still wasn't done properly.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
We've been running that formation since CPJ started here in 2008. We run that formation quite a bit - not always with the WR flexed close to the LOS, but that unbalanced look has been here for 10 years. I'm pretty certain that we know how to block out of that set, although it sure didn't look like it on Saturday.

It's meant to get a third offensive lineman to one side, unbalancing the formation and running power plays out of it. When they don't expect a pass, you throw the home run ball (like last year against VT). Clearly that was a strategy that CPJ had going in - because we showed it right from the start. What I'm sure is tearing his hair out is he explained how to handle the blitzing LB on the backside and even after a sideline correction it still wasn't done properly.

We have rarely run a heavy set with WR's at the OT spot. I may be wrong, but I would wager that we did it more in the last game than the 10 years prior.