Question for someone who played...

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
How hard is it for a guy to transition from OL to DL? CPJ recruited all these undersized OL, that could play low and fire off the ball. In my mind a guy that is 6’2 280 that can do that and has good balance would make an ideal DL for a team that is playing walkons and DEs under 225 pounds.

Is the required skill set that much different? Or is it more mindset? We are paper thin on the DL with no size yet we have a couple big kids on scholarship that never sniff the field on offense — seemingly they could help on D by providing some much needed beef.

Curious on perspective from those that may have played in the line.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, supposedly, a lot of our OL have put on a lot of weight.

Regardless, there is still a matter of “Quickness” being a bit more of a requirement coming off the ball on the DL vs the OL.

So of course it can be done. Effectively? Very rarely.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Well, supposedly, a lot of our OL have put on a lot of weight.

Regardless, there is still a matter of “Quickness” being a bit more of a requirement coming off the ball on the DL vs the OL.

So of course it can be done. Effectively? Very rarely.
I think allot of the guys on the o line for the last offense were recruited because they were quicker than the common OLine men. I think the op may be on to something. Could be a good spot for some of the o line guys who get replaced next year due to system. Ballin probably could shed light on this.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I played OL and DL in high school. No difference really, I sucked at both. Of course we had 19 players on our team.

From what I've read, footwork and hand work is very different between the lines. So that's why it isn't done. Between O and D, I think the easiest two way is WR and DB.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I played OL and DL in high school. No difference really, I sucked at both. Of course we had 19 players on our team.

From what I've read, footwork and hand work is very different between the lines. So that's why it isn't done. Between O and D, I think the easiest two way is WR and DB.
It’s either that or LB & RB.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
If you are good enough to play at the college level, you will almost certainly have played both sides of the ball in HS. So while there would be some familiarity with both positions, the reality is you got recruited for one or the other for a reason.