Question about this season and the ACC

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone think ND could make it to the title game if they played 9 conference games? And would that make us have an extra game?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I keep coming back to 1918. The Spanish Influenza, though apparently not as infectious, was far more deadly, and yet football games were played.....with fans in the stands.
Child labor was also allowed in 1918 as well...

I agree, but it takes the loss of one more GT player that may have an underlying condition that is unknown and we all wish we didn't play.

We lost Adams and Gowdy... I doubt we risk possibly losing another. Especially linemen who are obese even if its muscle.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Hey, as someone has already pointed out, if you are allowed to sit in an aluminum cylinder which recycles its air for 5 hours (known as a jet airplane) why can't you sit outdoors for 5 hours with social distancing?
I agree!!!! Social distancing is all I ask. Otherwise I'm good to go!

Players are who I worry about.

I do find the comments about social distancing humorous. Men's restroom at the trough, when the game is over, walking past people in the row to get to the aisle......I say full capacity and if you are afraid, don't go. As for players, tell them to restrict to the athletic dorms until the season ends. Don't go home for Sunday dinner or out to the bar. Then again, kids their age aren't as affected.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Hey, as someone has already pointed out, if you are allowed to sit in an aluminum cylinder which recycles its air for 5 hours (known as a jet airplane) why can't you sit outdoors for 5 hours with social distancing?

Does an airplane recycle air the way you seem to believe? On airliners, the entire cabin is recirculated every three minutes and if filtered thru a HEPA filter. The air in the cabin is mixed with fresh air, which I have read completely replaces the air about every 30 minutes. I believe all US airlines are now requiring masks, which should keep much of the virus from even entering the air supply if an infected person is on the flight. I am not saying that running the air through a HEPA filter every 3 minutes is a guarantee that nobody can get infected, but it isn't as simple a situation as you are attributing it to be.

Sitting outside with separation at a game should be pretty safe. People will be screaming which could project virus particles further than six feet, even if wearing a cloth mask. The stadium would also have to work on entrance and exit protocols. I went to a high school graduation ceremony in which the school had everyone separated and metered the people into the football stadium. However, once the graduation was over, everyone just formed a large crowd at the exits. I think the ability to have fans in the stands and the number of fans allowed in the stands is probably going to be decided by the government instead of the athletic associations. That is probably part of the reason that the governor of Georgia is fighting against local governments who attempt to make such decisions locally. The City of Atlanta would probably not allow, or at least heavily limit fans which would affect Ga State and Ga Tech. Probably more important to the governor is that the City of Athens would be able to decide how the mutts can operate.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He knows about the email. They are just gauging what will happen baed on scenarios. At this point he said no decision has been made about stadium capacity.
And there is the problem no one wants to make a decision, everyone is waiting for someone else to do it. I think they should say if you have season tickets and if you want to come to the games then you can come if you catch the virus at the games that is on you sit in your seats you paid for , If it starts like MLB and you are already canceling games after 3 games this will be one F**K up season.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And there is the problem no one wants to make a decision, everyone is waiting for someone else to do it. I think they should say if you have season tickets and if you want to come to the games then you can come if you catch the virus at the games that is on you sit in your seats you paid for , If it starts like MLB and you are already canceling games after 3 games this will be one F**K up season.

I think they are delaying decisions to give them time that they hope will make the decision that they want. I think that if they had to make a decision today with no chance to back out of it that there would not be a college football season this fall. They are delaying to see if it is possible to have some sort of a season. If the start of the season season is delayed until October, that gives them another month to decide whether games can proceed or not.

I think they are watching MLB, and the NBA and their policies. They are probably thinking:
  • The same things about the system not working if they have to cancel some games after the first weekend.
  • If they start and play two or three weekends, and then have to cancel the season what good would it do? Would that do more harm than delaying or not playing the season?
  • Will it be better to kick the can down the road to February to see if the season can be played more fully?
  • Is it possible that better, faster, cheaper tests be available in February so they could test every player every day and get the results quickly?
I don't think it is inaction waiting for others to make decisions for them. I think they are planning all kinds of different scenarios and trying to delay as much as possible so that he best scenario possible can be chosen.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the conference politics of such a move with Swofford retiring would be very interesting on the person the schools decide to hire for new commish.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And now the NFL has cancelled the preseason. I won't post a link; all of you saw the story.

We'll see, but I doubt the season will continue if it starts. I have no problem with that. There's nothing wrong with facing reality, even for football fans. True, it is a tad bit harder for us …

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I help put together a professional conference that has about 6,500 attendees every year. This year, they had to wait until early July to cancel the conference because if they cancelled too early, the insurance clause would not kick in. I don't know if the schools/conferences/etc. insure the games, but if they do, then this discussion of games in the fall may all be a smokescreen. Sure hope not.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I help put together a professional conference that has about 6,500 attendees every year. This year, they had to wait until early July to cancel the conference because if they cancelled too early, the insurance clause would not kick in. I don't know if the schools/conferences/etc. insure the games, but if they do, then this discussion of games in the fall may all be a smokescreen. Sure hope not.
That's an interesting point I hadn't really thought much about. How the timing may be in relation to procedural steps required to claim some insurance reimbursements. Bummer