Question about this season and the ACC

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lets say the the governor if North Carolina comes out and say no football in the state of North Caroline and the ACC commissioner would back him up because of course of UNC.
But Tech , Clemson, and maybe a few others still want to play. Can they and can the ACC do anything about it? I know it would be hard at this date to reschedule games and still start in September but you still could fine maybe 8 games to play if 6 teams in the ACC said we are going to play.
And this is dicey but if the ACCN would pick up the games ( which they probably would not) who would get the Tv money for those games.
( as you can see I'm a little bored and it's do something on here or talk to my wife) so entertain me.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think the commissioner can really make a decision like that without the approval of all (or at least the majority) of member institutions. Individual schools could of course opt out, but I don’t see a scenario like you’ve described playing out.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I would imagine if certain schools can’t play, the others still will and the format would just change. Say the four N.C. schools can’t play. 11 team conference, play everyone else (10) once, top two play again for the championship.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Probably comes down to membership agreements or something, but I can't imagine the commissioner canceling the season without consulting the presidents/ADs, and I can't imagine the presidents/ADs willing to take the risk of putting games on without the support of a conference. Just too much liability.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This was a what if , I'm not saying he would . just thinking if part of the ACC teams said they would not play but the others did what would happen.
This has always been an issue for the ACC. The schools don't control their destiny. Governors can limit gatherings or ban them entirely.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame is going to be in the ACC for this season according to a report I read. Why do we bend over backwards for those a--holes. Make them join for good or kick them out. Swafford is a dolt. Glad he is finally leaving. Let's hope we get a more fair commissioner and not a UNC homer.

Notre Dame is going to be in the ACC for this season according to a report I read. Why do we bend over backwards for those a--holes. Make them join for good or kick them out. Swafford is a dolt. Glad he is finally leaving. Let's hope we get a more fair commissioner and not a UNC homer.
Maybe once they are in, they will stay in. One can hope anyway.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

TV money will be higher for the ACC if ND plays 5 away games against ACC teams. ND TV money will be higher if they have 5 home games. Financially it is a win-win situation for both teams.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is not real happy about ND being in the league this year. It will be interesting how Swofford gerrimanders the divisions/pods to keep UNC and Clemson away from a seasonal matchup with ND to set up a championship game to include ND. This was the year to force ND into the league and if they weren't then Swafford is as dumb as I always thought he was.

GTWreckerPD

Georgia Tech Fan
The ND stuff is going to be interesting. They will make sure clemson does not play them. I expect them to play miami for nostalgia/hype. I think there will be a season to answer OP's question, but if the teams wanted to play outside of North Carolina, there isn't much the ACC could do.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If ND plays a ten game schedule with the ACC, I believe they would throw their NBC money into the ACC bucket and share with the other 14 teams. Their NBC contract runs through 2025, so what the ACC has negotiated with ND could come down to ND joining the conference in football at that point. But, there will almost certainly be another team to come in with them. No one wants a 15 team schedule every season. My guess is that West Virginia would love to be in a conference with Pitt and VT and UVA. Can they easily unhitch themselves from the Big 12? This is going to get interesting.

Dear Richard E,

First and foremost, thank you for your continued support of Georgia Tech football. We know you have been eagerly awaiting details for the 2020 season and appreciate your patience as we continue to navigate the unprecedented challenges that have arisen as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. While we continue to prepare to play the 2020 season as currently scheduled, we are awaiting guidance from the Atlantic Coast Conference on if there will be changes to the structure of the football season and what that would look like. At this time, we expect to receive that guidance late this month or early in August.

We want to assure you that if we are able to welcome fans to Bobby Dodd Stadium this fall, the health and safety of our student-athletes, staff and community will be the top priority. We continue to work diligently, following guidance from the Institute, the University System of Georgia, Governor Brian Kemp’s office and public health officials, to determine the safest courses of action.

Here is information that we can share at this time about the options you have for your season ticket investment:

SUPPORT THE SWARM FUND

More than likely, you will be due a refund for at least a portion of your season ticket investment due to schedule changes and/or capacity limitations, or if you choose to opt out of attending games this season. If this is the case, we hope that you will strongly consider turning your refund into a donation to the Support The Swarm Fund. With the uncharted territory that we are currently navigating due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic comes significant financial challenges. The Support The Swarm Fund was established to provide our outstanding fans with a way to help our student-athletes continue to thrive despite the challenges in the short-term, and come out even stronger on the other side. Donations to the Support The Swarm Fund will help us overcome the financial challenges presented by Covid-19, which include:

· the significant expenses related to testing, social-distancing measures, expanded sanitation and venue technology needed to keep our student-athletes, staff and fans safe in our facilities and at our events;

· changes in our academic support and recruiting processes that remain necessary as we continue to navigate the ongoing pandemic;

· the potential for lost revenue due to limited capacity at our venues and/or a reduction in number of games played, particularly in football and/or men’s basketball.

The challenges presented by Covid-19 are undeniable, but with your continued support, we are hopeful that it can be a one-year road bump for Georgia Tech athletics, rather than a situation that affects our student-athlete experience for years to come.

SEASON TICKET MEMBER OPTIONS

We understand that the unique circumstances of this season require extraordinary flexibility and continued patience on the part of our fans, and we are committed to providing you with the best possible customer service during this time. We also understand that since many uncertainties about the upcoming football season still remain, making a decision at this time will be tough for many people. Despite the uncertainties, we are continuing to prepare for the fast-approaching season in order to be able to provide our season ticket members with timely and exemplary service once the structure of the upcoming season is confirmed.

Therefore, we ask that you please take a few minutes to review your options as a season ticket member below and then click HERE to elect your preference for the 2020 season as soon as possible, but by no later than Friday, Aug. 7.

OPTION A: Retain Your Tickets for 2020

Season ticket members who elect to retain their tickets for the 2020 season will be invited to participate in an online reseating process to select a seat location for the 2020 season in a socially distanced seating layout at Bobby Dodd Stadium. The exact capacity for seating is TBD. It is important to note that the seats you select will be for the 2020 season only. Your renewal invitation for 2021 will list the seats that were in your account prior to this one-year relocation. Additionally, season ticket members that elect to retain their seats for the 2020 season will receive a $25 discount on their 2021 season ticket purchase (cannot be combined with any other discounts or offers).

Click HERE for more details on the seat selection process for 2020 season tickets.

OPTION B: Forego 2020 Season Tickets, but maintain seat locations for 2021

Season ticket members may elect to pass on attending games during the 2020 season, but hold their seats for 2021.

There may be some fans who are not comfortable attending games this fall for health or financial reasons. Your loyalty is important to us, so any season ticket member who has renewed their season tickets but decides they are not comfortable with attending games in 2020 may elect to gift that refund to the Support The Swarm Fund, roll any previous payments into a credit for the 2021 season, or request a refund. You will continue to have the first right of refusal on your same seats for the 2021 season.

If you elect not to retain your seats for the 2020 season and have already paid money towards your tickets, TECH Fund, and/or parking, the following options will be available to you:

· Donate all or a portion of the refund to the Support the Swarm Fund - season ticket members that choose this option will receive a $25 discount on 2021 season ticket purchase (cannot be combined with any other discounts or offers).

· Apply the entire amount as a credit towards 2021 season tickets.

· Receive a refund for the full amount to the original method of payment.

Dear Richard E,

First and foremost, thank you for your continued support of Georgia Tech football. We know you have been eagerly awaiting details for the 2020 season and appreciate your patience as we continue to navigate the unprecedented challenges that have arisen as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. While we continue to prepare to play the 2020 season as currently scheduled, we are awaiting guidance from the Atlantic Coast Conference on if there will be changes to the structure of the football season and what that would look like. At this time, we expect to receive that guidance late this month or early in August.

We want to assure you that if we are able to welcome fans to Bobby Dodd Stadium this fall, the health and safety of our student-athletes, staff and community will be the top priority. We continue to work diligently, following guidance from the Institute, the University System of Georgia, Governor Brian Kemp’s office and public health officials, to determine the safest courses of action.

Here is information that we can share at this time about the options you have for your season ticket investment:

SUPPORT THE SWARM FUND

More than likely, you will be due a refund for at least a portion of your season ticket investment due to schedule changes and/or capacity limitations, or if you choose to opt out of attending games this season. If this is the case, we hope that you will strongly consider turning your refund into a donation to the Support The Swarm Fund. With the uncharted territory that we are currently navigating due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic comes significant financial challenges. The Support The Swarm Fund was established to provide our outstanding fans with a way to help our student-athletes continue to thrive despite the challenges in the short-term, and come out even stronger on the other side. Donations to the Support The Swarm Fund will help us overcome the financial challenges presented by Covid-19, which include:

· the significant expenses related to testing, social-distancing measures, expanded sanitation and venue technology needed to keep our student-athletes, staff and fans safe in our facilities and at our events;

· changes in our academic support and recruiting processes that remain necessary as we continue to navigate the ongoing pandemic;

· the potential for lost revenue due to limited capacity at our venues and/or a reduction in number of games played, particularly in football and/or men’s basketball.

The challenges presented by Covid-19 are undeniable, but with your continued support, we are hopeful that it can be a one-year road bump for Georgia Tech athletics, rather than a situation that affects our student-athlete experience for years to come.

SEASON TICKET MEMBER OPTIONS

We understand that the unique circumstances of this season require extraordinary flexibility and continued patience on the part of our fans, and we are committed to providing you with the best possible customer service during this time. We also understand that since many uncertainties about the upcoming football season still remain, making a decision at this time will be tough for many people. Despite the uncertainties, we are continuing to prepare for the fast-approaching season in order to be able to provide our season ticket members with timely and exemplary service once the structure of the upcoming season is confirmed.

Therefore, we ask that you please take a few minutes to review your options as a season ticket member below and then click HERE to elect your preference for the 2020 season as soon as possible, but by no later than Friday, Aug. 7.

OPTION A: Retain Your Tickets for 2020

Season ticket members who elect to retain their tickets for the 2020 season will be invited to participate in an online reseating process to select a seat location for the 2020 season in a socially distanced seating layout at Bobby Dodd Stadium. The exact capacity for seating is TBD. It is important to note that the seats you select will be for the 2020 season only. Your renewal invitation for 2021 will list the seats that were in your account prior to this one-year relocation. Additionally, season ticket members that elect to retain their seats for the 2020 season will receive a $25 discount on their 2021 season ticket purchase (cannot be combined with any other discounts or offers).

Click HERE for more details on the seat selection process for 2020 season tickets.

OPTION B: Forego 2020 Season Tickets, but maintain seat locations for 2021

Season ticket members may elect to pass on attending games during the 2020 season, but hold their seats for 2021.

There may be some fans who are not comfortable attending games this fall for health or financial reasons. Your loyalty is important to us, so any season ticket member who has renewed their season tickets but decides they are not comfortable with attending games in 2020 may elect to gift that refund to the Support The Swarm Fund, roll any previous payments into a credit for the 2021 season, or request a refund. You will continue to have the first right of refusal on your same seats for the 2021 season.

If you elect not to retain your seats for the 2020 season and have already paid money towards your tickets, TECH Fund, and/or parking, the following options will be available to you:

· Donate all or a portion of the refund to the Support the Swarm Fund - season ticket members that choose this option will receive a $25 discount on 2021 season ticket purchase (cannot be combined with any other discounts or offers).

· Apply the entire amount as a credit towards 2021 season tickets.

· Receive a refund for the full amount to the original method of payment.

I just received an email from Tech with this info. I chose option A, and they will supposedly set up a virtual appointment date and time for me to select my seats.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Want a preview of the season if we decide to play? See:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mlb-miami-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak-emergency-meeting

I hate to be a Debbie Downer on this, but there are few activities that are more likely to spread the virus then contact sports. If we go ahead and play games, I suspect that there will be multiple cancellations of games during the season due to outbreaks like this one . If we do play games, the championship framework probably will have to be abandoned and the games will be exhibitions. Those will be as much fun, of course; the players are in this because they like to play football, not because they are after a championship.

Want a preview of the season if we decide to play? See:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mlb-miami-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak-emergency-meeting

I hate to be a Debbie Downer on this, but there are few activities that are more likely to spread the virus then contact sports. If we go ahead and play games, I suspect that there will be multiple cancellations of games during the season due to outbreaks like this one . If we do play games, the championship framework probably will have to be abandoned and the games will be exhibitions. Those will be as much fun, of course; the players are in this because they like to play football, not because they are after a championship.
I keep coming back to 1918. The Spanish Influenza, though apparently not as infectious, was far more deadly, and yet football games were played.....with fans in the stands.