Question about the B-Back position

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Do you think with all the divided carries hurts us in signing elite pro style runnings backs? Our BB had over 1400 yards last year. Would it help us get more exposure if we had one guy get 1200 yards or so, to sell to a guy like Shai? Do you think Sims will get +70% of the carries if he stays healthy, even with Laskey being such a hard nosed player?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
As I said in the other thread and others probably my opinion is we need to sell that position as at least 1000 yard/year position. Mainly because 1000 yds helps build an NFL resume. Initially people thought it was CPJ's system that got us a guy with 1300+ yards every year, but after AA (who really didn't grasp the new position until 5-6 game into the season IMO) we haven't seen it and have been waiting for a guy to fill that role. Elite recruits want to go to the NFL. Getting 1000 yards/year here certainly helps a sale...

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I agree completely. Yea the odds of gettin to the NFL are very slim, but if your a 5 star or borderline 5 star, you really don't think about needing to get a job after college because of your skill set, the fame, and what everybody has been tellin you your whole life. These guys want to go somewhere, that puts people in the first round, year in and year out. I do think the plan with Custis is to be one of these type roles though.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I believe if Dwyer would have showed up at the combine, we would have an NFL caliber RB in the backfield right now. In a kids mind is Dwyer had 1400 yards, ACC player of the year and still got drafted in the 6th round because of the system. Although that is not true, he was a projected 1st-2nd rounder on everybody's board, and I think some even had him as the top RB over Spiller.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer got F'd with his drug test. Adderall which is an amphetamine was in his system and he hadn't filed the proper paperwork even though it was a prescription.  Raising questions pre-draft is never a good thing. He'd be great if he wins the starting job in Pittsburgh, the fans seem to really like him.