Question About Pass Pro...

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer

This is a link to a guy I follow on YouTube that seems to know his stuff petty well. Do you guys think that employing the methods he's describing in the videos could help our guys get better and more consistent in there pass protection? I welcome everyone's opinion, but I'd also really like to here from the guys we have on this forum that played.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

This is a link to a guy I follow on YouTube that seems to know his stuff petty well. Do you guys think that employing the methods he's describing in the videos could help our guys get better and more consistent in there pass protection? I welcome everyone's opinion, but I'd also really like to here from the guys we have on this forum that played.

Yeah it would but that will take the element of the option being available all the time away.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I will watch later , but we have such wide gaps that the tackles are on island.
It is what it i s kind of thing.

Don't u think we are doing good job of legal holding at g c g.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Last game wasn't great, but I think pass pro has been more than adequate this year. I felt TQM more unsettled this game when dropping back. He mostly gets enough protection to at least scramble an still be able to deliver the football but gets a bit panicky. He might make the wrong decision but overall has protected the football. If we had more reps in the passing game to get into a rhythm, I bet this would be much better.

Unfortunately, Clemson's line isn't going to make it easier on us. If TQM is well settled, though, we can do some damage. Given our recent rushing results against Clemson, he'll have to if we want to win.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think we'd lose more then we would gain by trying this kind of stuff. Besides, the refs let the pros get away with a whole lot more on the OL then college refs will allow.

Let's leave this kind of thing to the Italian World Cup Team. They're the pros at this.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure what we are teaching our OT's, but I don't think this is rocket science to explain and implement.

The whole idea is that our OT's ARE on an island in pass pro, so why not equip them with tools to fight 1v1 better? With the bare minimum of holding being called this year anyway, if I was Jahaziel Lee I'd be doing EXACTLY this.

Question to Ibb, how does this negate anything option-wise? You're not going to block like this for runs, but when moving back on pass pro.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Pass protection will never be great in this offense. Why?:
1. Smaller quicker tackles, as opposed to the 6-6, 320 lb guys you see in passing offenses
2.Wider line splits
3. Practice time. The time and effort put into the passing game when Friedgen was here was extensive. I'm sure the same is true for the option. You can't do it all.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Smaller quicker tackles, as opposed to the 6-6, 320 lb guys you see in passing offenses
2.Wider line splits
3. Practice time. The time and effort put into the passing game when Friedgen was here was extensive. I'm sure the same is true for the option. You can't do it all.

Not sure about #1 and #2, although I know what you're getting at with #1. Smaller and quicker don't necessarily mean, "can't pass pro". Specifically, those 6'6", 330-lb tackles have longer arms so it's easier to push a rushing DE away.

As for #2, Mike Leach and any Air Raid variant say, "hi":
https://247sports.com/college/washi...nk-Dissecting-wide-splits-of-WSU-OL-105214162

Biggest issue is #3. But that doesn't mean you can't pass pro.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's why we need to pass the ball 90% of the time. We would rep pass pro more and be better at it. :)

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about #1 and #2, although I know what you're getting at with #1. Smaller and quicker don't necessarily mean, "can't pass pro". Specifically, those 6'6", 330-lb tackles have longer arms so it's easier to push a rushing DE away.

As for #2, Mike Leach and any Air Raid variant say, "hi":
https://247sports.com/college/washi...nk-Dissecting-wide-splits-of-WSU-OL-105214162

Biggest issue is #3. But that doesn't mean you can't pass pro.

Well, in contrast to Leach's system we put the QB under center and don't often get the ball out quickly. A lot of this, though, has to do with repetition. Especially in college, you can't be great at everything. So we need to have phases of our game that complement each other. I believe our passing game does complement the running game, but we cannot rely on it when the run game isn't working well. Our O is designed, though, to still have an advantage when a play is read right and blocked right even when the safeties are playing in the box. There, it falls down on execution of your assignments and reads and beating your man 1:1. I think all of us would love to have more versatility to exploit safeties in the box, but really we'd have to sacrifice our efficacy in one part of the O to get there. CPJ has chosen instead to rely on executing what we do well as a priority. The truth is we rarely get outschemed by the defense. Some defenses have been great at mixing up and disguising looks or exploiting favorable matchups against us. But, honestly, that's what a good defense does to anybody and everybody regardless of system.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Keep in mind that we marry our spread option attack, which takes a ton of practice time, to the Run and Shoot offense...which takes a ton of practice time. Something has to give.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Q Lee especially has a problem because he is SO NEW to OL.He was switched to from def only LAST yr and started as FR..It speaks to our depth on OL.
It doesn't help that he is undersized either.But I question the coaching.Last game he didn't even get into good quick dropback position before the dude was by him.
And the Aback blocking wasn't a big help either.
Not like others are perfect but it only takes one rusher to destroy a pass play.
Good that this is brought up as we won't beat clem by running all the time for sure.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Q Lee especially has a problem because he is SO NEW to OL.He was switched to from def only LAST yr and started as FR..It speaks to our depth on OL.
It doesn't help that he is undersized either.But I question the coaching.Last game he didn't even get into good quick dropback position before the dude was by him.
And the Aback blocking wasn't a big help either.
Not like others are perfect but it only takes one rusher to destroy a pass play.
Good that this is brought up as we won't beat clem by running all the time for sure.

Is "Q" an abbreviation for Jahaziel?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
2.Wider line splits

Maybe I need to rewatch all of our drop backs. To me, it looked like our tackles didn't lose from being physically manhandled. It seemed like either the end was quicker or our tackles had poor footwork. Neither of those things have to do with our tackles being smaller.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what we are teaching our OT's, but I don't think this is rocket science to explain and implement.

The whole idea is that our OT's ARE on an island in pass pro, so why not equip them with tools to fight 1v1 better? With the bare minimum of holding being called this year anyway, if I was Jahaziel Lee I'd be doing EXACTLY this.

Question to Ibb, how does this negate anything option-wise? You're not going to block like this for runs, but when moving back on pass pro.

It is insane but an offensive lineman just about has to take down a defender pro wrestling style for anything to be called. The officials seem to give every advantage to the offense not only in holding calls but contested passes too. Our tackles might as well get in on the fun because our defenders are practically getting hog tied like a calf in a rodeo.