Question about Kaleb Oliver

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know where the staff decided to put him? He was one of my favorite signings last year and I thought that he would see the field this year so I'm a little disappointed that he hasn't yet. My guess is that the staff decided to let him bulk up and we'll see him as a DE/LB hybrid next year.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
We've got a bunch of seasoned veterans in the defensive backfield. Next year, we'll be young, but the talent is there with Oliver, Tre, Jaitlyn, Avery, Gentry, Tariq, and Dameon. Looking back, that is one hell of an impressive haul. IMO, Oliver, Avery, and Tariq are all hybrid types.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We've got a bunch of seasoned veterans in the defensive backfield. Next year, we'll be young, but the talent is there with Oliver, Tre, Jaitlyn, Avery, Gentry, Tariq, and Dameon. Looking back, that is one hell of an impressive haul. IMO, Oliver, Avery, and Tariq are all hybrid types.
I understand that we have a lot of vets and am glad that we have been able to redshirt a lot of talented DBs this year. Still, with the linebacking depth the way it is, I'm surprised that Oliver hasn't played which leads me to believe that he is bulking up to play DE or a rush LB.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
He has been in full pads for games while some of the other freshmen have not. I'm guessing whether or not he will redshirt is/was still up in the air. He was one of my favorite signings in last years class as well.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know where the staff decided to put him? He was one of my favorite signings last year and I thought that he would see the field this year so I'm a little disappointed that he hasn't yet. My guess is that the staff decided to let him bulk up and we'll see him as a DE/LB hybrid next year.
I believe I read something before the season saying he had an interception in practice playing safety.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Kaleb Oliver and Tre Swilling are in full pads for every game but my guess is they will redshirt unless they are forced into action.

Can anyone confirm that Askew's shirt has been burned?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
There's a delicate balance we need to find between redshirting guys and getting some depth built up with live game reps. The secondary will have AJ Gray, Lamont Simmons, and Jalen Johnson back next year but we need 2 more starters back there. I'm hoping Askew and Swilling are going to get some reps so that we have a smooth transition next year.

Deleted member 2897

There's a delicate balance we need to find between redshirting guys and getting some depth built up with live game reps. The secondary will have AJ Gray, Lamont Simmons, and Jalen Johnson back next year but we need 2 more starters back there. I'm hoping Askew and Swilling are going to get some reps so that we have a smooth transition next year.

Exactly. We're playing Jerry Howard and Quaide as much as feasible. If lord forbid Benson gets injured, even just to miss part of a game, you want to minimize any step downward on our offense. The same goes for the defense. I've seen some folks like Bruce Jordan-Swilling out there quite a bit late in games. So there are some folks that we seem to think so far have potential for more playing time, but others we're saving just yet. That's why the coaches get paid the big bucks - they see what goes on in practice.