Question about Checking Out of Plays

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think you can call plays that force him to pitch. If you watch film from JT and even the Nesbit days they ran straight at the end or force guy to make him commit to them (the QB).

Of course you can call plays that are designed to get the ball pitched. Speed option in it's various forms is specifically a double option that is designed to get the ball to the edge quickly. The first play coming out of halftime against UGA 08 was exactly that: speed option designed to get it pitched to Dwyer on the edge. In PJ's post-game presser he said he wanted to get Dwyer on the edge as much as possible in the 2nd half.

In other words it’s hard to teach a RB to pitch the ball when they think they see a hole opening and TM is a RB at heart, not a option QB

That's debatable. You do realize he was a high school QB running a shotgun, spread offense?

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
You could TQM wasn't the answer in the Tenn game last year. Held onto the ball way to much. Guy has no business playing QB.

That Tenn game was not on TQM. Did you suddenly forget the epic defense meltdown? Or the fact that we had a gimme game winning field goal that we missed? I'm frustrated with the QB situation like everyone else but let's be fair about it.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course you can call plays that are designed to get the ball pitched. Speed option in it's various forms is specifically a double option that is designed to get the ball to the edge quickly. The first play coming out of halftime against UGA 08 was exactly that: speed option designed to get it pitched to Dwyer on the edge. In PJ's post-game presser he said he wanted to get Dwyer on the edge as much as possible in the 2nd half.

That's debatable. You do realize he was a high school QB running a shotgun, spread offense?

I took the question as more of a mental question. I know you can call plays designed to pitch the ball I think the problem is actually getting him to pitch it rather than keep it

I didn’t know that but I do know that he has only played QB in the Tech offense for 2 years and I’m sure you would agree that the spread is very different than the option.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
It just seems like TQM has regressed significantly at reading the TO dating back a little after midseason last year. He just doesn’t seem to be able to make the correct read on options anymore. Ever. If we are going to run this offense we have to have someone at QB that is able to make the reads.