Question about Checking Out of Plays

MidtownJacket

Staff member
As I have been watching the game today, it struck me that TQM seems to check out of a lot of plays.

I’d be interested in looking to see what percentage of those plays end up with TQM on a keeper dive. I’m also curious what the result has been. It seems, based on my gut, that bad things happen when we check out of whatever was called this year. Not sure if maybe the original call wouldn’t have been worse but curious about it.

In the interviews with TQM, he has a lot of opinions about what the other guys need to do, but I’m wondering if maybe he needs to zero in and focus more on executing the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not TQM's fault. The guy plays hard AF all game. He's just not a QB. It's CPJ trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Put in TO and let TQM do what he does best - be an A-back.

I feel bad for the seniors. Their HC has really let them down. We are so bad fundamentally in so many aspects and bad-fundamentals = bad coaching every single time.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not TQM's fault. The guy plays hard AF all game. He's just not a QB. It's CPJ trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Put in TO and let TQM do what he does best - be an A-back.

I feel bad for the seniors. Their HC has really let them down. We are so bad fundamentally in so many aspects and bad-fundamentals = bad coaching every single time.
Including speislvteams which are an embarrassment...

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
You could TQM wasn't the answer in the Tenn game last year. Held onto the ball way to much. Guy has no business playing QB.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Thank you for responding and what makes you think you’re right about the square peg, round hole?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
What would you change?

I don't know how you fix this if we're having problems in year 11 but something really tells me it's not really year 11 but year 50. Who's been out besides Will?

Perhaps we really do need more recruiting staff to get out there and identify the smarter, better athletes. Linemen are supposed to be the brightest overall aren't they?

I don't know how you fix this if we're having problems in year 11 but something really tells me it's not really year 11 but year 50. Who's been out besides Will?

Perhaps we really do need more recruiting staff to get out there and identify the smarter, better athletes. Linemen are supposed to be the brightest overall aren't they?

don't bother. Midtown's just going to use the lame "If you don't have better ideas, don't complain!" mantra.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank you for responding and what makes you think you’re right about the square peg, round hole?

His throwing motion is too long. Compare him to Bryant to Lawrence. Ideally, QBs bring the ball right to their ear and throw from there, but that takes arm strength. Bryant (like many human QBs) has a quarter hitch to get his arm going. TM throws like an outfielder. It's just not fair to ask him to hit these throws.

And something about his quickness and instincts to make a play (which he can bigly) lead him to cut up instead of reading through the pitch key.

He is one of our best players, but is getting beat up bc he is playing out of position.

His throwing motion is too long. Compare him to Bryant to Lawrence. Ideally, QBs bring the ball right to their ear and throw from there, but that takes arm strength. Bryant (like many human QBs) has a quarter hitch to get his arm going. TM throws like an outfielder. It's just not fair to ask him to hit these throws.

And something about his quickness and instincts to make a play (which he can bigly) lead him to cut up instead of reading through the pitch key.

He is one of our best players, but is getting beat up bc he is playing out of position.
He actually made some pretty spectacular pitches today, but too little too late.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think the overall play of our O line is very bad and seems to exacerbate the rest of our flaws.
As a fan if ol dl battles, I loved watching the Clemson dl fight off our blocks They were very talented with great technique.
I think they have had good coaching.
Glad they only pl layed about 30 % of game..

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
As I have been watching the game today, it struck me that TQM seems to check out of a lot of plays.

I’d be interested in looking to see what percentage of those plays end up with TQM on a keeper dive. I’m also curious what the result has been. It seems, based on my gut, that bad things happen when we check out of whatever was called this year. Not sure if maybe the original call wouldn’t have been worse but curious about it.

In the interviews with TQM, he has a lot of opinions about what the other guys need to do, but I’m wondering if maybe he needs to zero in and focus more on executing the call.

Listening to CPJ presser after the game today I think he put a lot on TM this year hoping the backups would have time to could learn the pre snap calls and the offense. He said something to the effect that Oliver had some good runs on busted plays but the plays were busted b/c he didn’t “set the correct fronts”. I’m not sure what that means or if that’s different talk for pre snap checks, either way he finally acknowledged that TM isn’t doing it correctly

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
What plays would you call for TQM to emphasize the need for the pitch?

I don’t think you can call plays that force him to pitch. If you watch film from JT and even the Nesbit days they ran straight at the end or force guy to make him commit to them (the QB). I think TM plays the position like a RB, meaning that he sees openings and keeps the ball to the hole rather than understanding that he has to force the end to tackle the ball at which time he should pitch.

In other words it’s hard to teach a RB to pitch the ball when they think they see a hole opening and TM is a RB at heart, not a option QB