question about CBK

GT33

Helluva Engineer
They would struggle, but it would be run better and especially with Sa(t)an as HC, it would be a tight ship. I don't think it is a stretch to believe they could have won 6-7 with the personnel this year.

With that said, I really don't understand the point of this post, since we will never be able to afford that type of coaching lineup. Heck, we can't afford even one of those other guys. Lastly, Key, in my opinion, is not in the same area code with the others you name. I say this based on what I have seen since he got here as the OL guru. If he was wanted by Sa(t)an, he would still be there, because they can afford to pay assistants twice what we pay, easily.
Satan probably wins 9 in the regular season, knocks off Wake in the Championship game, loses in the Orange Bowl. 10-4. Not sure even Satan could beat the ****heads up the road with our roster, he'd fall short at ND and he'd lose 1 to Clemson/Pitt. He could have Duke's roster and it would probably be the same. I hate him, but he prepares like no other in college football and nobody in the ACC is worth a damn this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Do we know how much CBK earns? Would that money be better served elsewhere?

After South Carolina made its offer in January, Key agreed to a new two-year contract with Tech worth $650,000

Key also accepted a buyout provision in the new contract that was not a part of his initial two-year deal. Key will owe the athletic department half of his annual salary if he were to leave prior to Jan. 31, 2022 for “a comparable position at another university,” according to the contract, and 25% if he were to leave between Jan. 31, 2022 and the early signing period for the 2022-23 year. He would not owe anything after that, although his two-year contract would be all but complete at that point.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

After South Carolina made its offer in January, Key agreed to a new two-year contract with Tech worth $650,000

Key also accepted a buyout provision in the new contract that was not a part of his initial two-year deal. Key will owe the athletic department half of his annual salary if he were to leave prior to Jan. 31, 2022 for “a comparable position at another university,” according to the contract, and 25% if he were to leave between Jan. 31, 2022 and the early signing period for the 2022-23 year. He would not owe anything after that, although his two-year contract would be all but complete at that point.
That amount is per year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Key is a good coach. You don't fool an entire profession for this long. Of all the assistants, he needs the longest time to turn it around. The defensive coaches don't have the same transition to deal with. The line has improved, but the starting point was historically bad, so we're still pretty bad. You need upperclassmen who have been coached by him to judge.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Haven’t seen anything out of him while he has been here. And before that, the least memorable thing he did was bad mouth GT on the recruiting trail, so whatever.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How does this board feel about how Saban as HC (Key as his OL coach), Lane Kiffen as the OC, and (dare I ask) KSmart as his DC, fare with, say, just this roster alone? how many wins?
All of them? Gee, I don't know, probably 7 or so. I would think that Kiffin in particular, could make a huge impact on developing Sims and the other quarterbacks. Kirby would have those defensive backs line up correctly at the very least. Just those things would make a difference.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
With these LOS’s?

Even with our current coaching staff, we lost five games by one possession. I definitely think Saban is worth one possession. I really don’t think it’s that ludicrous to think that staff could win 10 games with this team with this schedule. Saban with this team with Alabama’s schedule? That’s a different story, but he probably still wins more than 3 games.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Saban had no interest in re-upping him, especially after the loss to Clemson. In his defense, he was not the only coach that got that message.

Also, the feeling may have been mutual.i am pretty sure GC is an easier to please boss than NS.
There you go.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Key is a good coach. You don't fool an entire profession for this long. Of all the assistants, he needs the longest time to turn it around. The defensive coaches don't have the same transition to deal with. The line has improved, but the starting point was historically bad, so we're still pretty bad. You need upperclassmen who have been coached by him to judge.
I think you're one of the older posters on here. I'd think you'd have a different slant on the bolded section. I've even seen guys in the military make it decades before they crashed & burned due to their own personal incompetence. It's usually more spectacular the higher up they go, but even in the news you've seen Generals banging low ranking females, getting perks that were illegal, etc. They did it for a very long time in most cases. It's much more prevalent in the civilian ranks. I'd say better than 50% of the leaders of most companies failed up & I'm probably being generous.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think you're one of the older posters on here. I'd think you'd have a different slant on the bolded section. I've even seen guys in the military make it decades before they crashed & burned due to their own personal incompetence. It's usually more spectacular the higher up they go, but even in the news you've seen Generals banging low ranking females, getting perks that were illegal, etc. They did it for a very long time in most cases. It's much more prevalent in the civilian ranks. I'd say better than 50% of the leaders of most companies failed up & I'm probably being generous.
That groupthink mentality, that he must be good because "you can't fool a profession for so long", seems to be the reason he's hung around in it for this long. It's a classic example of circular reasoning.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Peter Principal. Almost every boss I ever had except two or three.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think Key himself is performing as badly as it looks. I think the issue is more on injuries along the OL

We haven't had Kriby, Pendley for most of the season. Williams was hurt at the start and is quite inexperienced anyway.

We were back to playing Lay who was a walk on.

And this past game we had a true freshman take over at C cause Minihan couldn't keep playing through his injuries over the season.

Not to mention that at one point Johnson was hurt as well.

That's a whole lot of injuries and inexperienced players. Seeing as the biggest part of the Triple option rebuild was on the OL, I think it makes sense to get the best one we can manage and pay him well.

I think what we should worry about from a long term perspective is our coaching on the D, especially the secondary.